Malal?

I just read the Librarium entry on the chaos gods, and it speaks of a fifth god, Malal, towards the end. Is there anymore information on him? I really like the idea of a chaos god who embodies the human tendency toward self destruction.

In summary: Malal had been created for a WHFB story by the author, but when the author left GW did not retain the rights (or interest) to continue to use that creation. There may still be found winking references to Malal in contemporary GW material, similar to how they sometimes reference popular movies or historical personalities. Malal was introduced to that WHFB story only, and has never been used in the Warhammer 40,000 universe.

pieced from various sources on the net, I'm pretty sure it is as official although may be retconned or whatnot:

Other posters basically explained the creation of Malal, and why he is no longer here so i won't go into that. What I have found, is that he was indeed a 5th chaos god, either banished by the big 4 or went into exile of his own accord. Malal hates the other 4 chaos gods, and his followers are known to attack followers of the other big 4. Kaleb Darke (sp?) was Mala's champion and the main character from the comic, and art can be found for him as well.

40k wise, a lot of people speculate that the "sons of malice" were a covert way to bring him back into GW's hands, but nothing has ever been officially stated. Supporters of this idea point to a couple of things to add weight to this idea: The Black/White split color scheme of the sons of malice matches the WHFB malal scheme, the WHFB and sons of Malice symbol are extremely close to matching as well. Also in regards to the Sons of Malice short story, Malal's sacred number matches the number of champions that need sacrificed to bring their god forth. (13 if I recall, but I could be wrong. have not read the story in awhile)

That's is everything I know, although a lot of it is of course speculation...

Archived