Fluff question: Sorcerers vs Psykers

caboosebe

I don't really understand the diffrence between sorcery and psyker-attacks.

Sorcery was banned by the Emperor, and psykers could stay, but under restrictions.

And it isn't Chaos-Gods based, as Thousand Sons could use sorcery well before turning to Tzeentch.

Other legions did have Librarians, they being psykers, but they could stay.

So if anybody could clear out what sorcery is vs. psykery, I would be very gratefull (so I can understand the HH. books I'm all reading atm xD)

Thankyou

Psionics are more a physical trait. Certain life forms have developed psionic mutations and are then possible to interact with the warp space. Navigators are able to see into warp space, Astropaths are able to project thoughts through it. "Psykers" can manipulate the warp stream around them and can use it to manifest effects in the physical realm.

Sorcery involves the use of rituals and conjurations. Sorcerers do not solely rely on their own gifts to manipulate warp space, they seek out arcane knowledge about the warp, how it can be manipulated other than with one's own will power. How one can gain more power from it. Often that will involve the help of warp creatures that lend some of their power to the sorcerer.

It is basically the inverse of sorcerers in Dungeons and Dragons. In DnD, sorcery is innate power and wizardry is book learned. In 40k, psykers have innate power and sorcerers get theirs from semi-scientific ritual and pacts with daemons. Of course, most sorcerers are also pskyers.

Psionics are more a physical trait. Certain life forms have developed psionic mutations and are then possible to interact with the warp space. Navigators are able to see into warp space, Astropaths are able to project thoughts through it. "Psykers" can manipulate the warp stream around them and can use it to manifest effects in the physical realm.

Sorcery involves the use of rituals and conjurations. Sorcerers do not solely rely on their own gifts to manipulate warp space, they seek out arcane knowledge about the warp, how it can be manipulated other than with one's own will power. How one can gain more power from it. Often that will involve the help of warp creatures that lend some of their power to the sorcerer.

Not quite. The psyker in Nemesis is not entirely legal, but its fine because of who it works for.

Wait a sec, what sorcerers aren't also psykers? I'm pretty sure that all (at least CSM) sorcerers are fallen librarians or at least marines with some latent psychic talent or what have you. As far as I understand it, sorcery is just psychic powers using a different energy source. Normal powers are drawn from the "natural" warp currents around the caster while sorcery relies on demonic pacts in which daemons lend some of their power to the caster for use in fueling his own spells.

This means that at any given baseline psychic ability level, becoming a sorcerer would make one temporarily more powerful as one could add demonic energy to the energy that one can naturally tap. In the long run however, such pacts can end very badly for the caster as daemons make mafia loansharks look like the animal cast of Bambi when it comes to debt collection.

Which is the old trope about dark power, it burns brightly and quickly and in doing so consumes both its wielder.

Wait a sec, what sorcerers aren't also psykers? I'm pretty sure that all (at least CSM) sorcerers are fallen librarians or at least marines with some latent psychic talent or what have you. As far as I understand it, sorcery is just psychic powers using a different energy source. Normal powers are drawn from the "natural" warp currents around the caster while sorcery relies on demonic pacts in which daemons lend some of their power to the caster for use in fueling his own spells.

Not completly true, as pre-heresy, the Thousand Sons used sorcery even before they turned Tzeentch. That's why they got a 'spanking from daddy'. That's the confusing part, And that's why i asked the question, as psychers were allowed in legions, but sorcery wasn't

Not completly true, as pre-heresy, the Thousand Sons used sorcery even before they turned Tzeentch. That's why they got a 'spanking from daddy'. That's the confusing part, And that's why i asked the question, as psychers were allowed in legions, but sorcery wasn't

Even pre-heresy they dabbled with the demonic, they just called their pet daemons differently... :)

Yeah a spade is a spade whether or not you call it that, the Thousand Sons were making demonic pacts, they just didn't comprehend how dangerous such activities are. It's also important to note that the big E's official line on the matter was that there is no such thing as demons which probably made their corruption easier.

Archived