First Heretic

quiethood

I will actually say, my favorite part of the entire extract is what Argel Tal says about seeing Lorgar for the first time as a child and how it hurts. How he can't look too long at Lorgar because it hurts, trying to look at Guilliman and it well hurts to look; and then you have Emperor appearing and the Word Bearer Legion goes blind from teleporting goodness while the Ultramarines just kneel.

How a primarch is viewed from a space marine perspective is awesome.

Now I hope that this man becomes the Warsmith from the Word Bearer Novels just for sheer kool-aid man goodness.

Oh and AD-B, look up a picture of the Cobra Organization logo with the Decepticon Head in the middle. Looks cool.

Good to know more about the Word Bearer legions size and formation, A D-B. :)

Anytime, dude.

When during the Great Crusade does the destruction of Monarchia occur?

It's stated in the novel uber-clearly, so no worries there.

I think there is a distinction between the rank of Chaplin and Captain, but I could be wrong. I don't think titles are important, it's the depth of faith. I think the extract puts the other "tease" A D-B put out, into to light. I wondering how the Emperor will react. It seems he's genuinly torn about "how" to deal with Lorgar. When he goes from loving to ice cold, it's chilling.

For Khorne's sake, it's the Warmonger not the Warsmith, warsmith is a term for an Iron Warrior commander and "The Warsmith" is the Iron Warrior daemon prince that destroyed the fortress on Hydra Cordatus. Also, I highly doubt that A D-B is going to touch Anthony Reynolds's characters, one might make a tiny cameo but no more.

Has anyone else noticed the Traitor Legions seemed to have esoteric command structures while the loyalist Legions had pretty straightforward ones? Was there a single loyal Legion that had a bizarre command structure?

Has anyone else noticed the Traitor Legions seemed to have esoteric command structures while the loyalist Legions had pretty straightforward ones? Was there a single loyal Legion that had a bizarre command structure?

If you can spell out who has got what, that'd be sweet :huh:

SW have Wolf X, Y, Z and don't follow an orthodox roster.

BA were normal but extra assaulty

DA normal

WS abnormal

S ??

IF normal

IH ??

UM normal

RG normal

SoH normal

WB abnormal

TS abnormal

NL ??

WE normal but extra assaulty w/brain rebuilds

DG normal but w/ different numbers

EC normal

AL abnormal

IW abnormal

Is this what you meant? Do you agree with my assessment?

If you can spell out who has got what, that'd be sweet ;)

SW have Wolf X, Y, Z and don't follow an orthodox roster.

BA were normal but extra assaulty

DA normal

WS abnormal

S ??

IF normal

IH ??

UM normal

RG normal

SoH normal

WB abnormal

TS abnormal

NL ??

WE normal but extra assaulty w/brain rebuilds

DG normal but w/ different numbers

EC normal

AL abnormal

IW abnormal

Is this what you meant? Do you agree with my assessment?

I'd say the SW have a normal command structure. I don't think the WE were normal. I'm not sure the NL had a normal command structure but they may have. Hopefully A DB will enlighten us on that one at least.

I just find it odd that so many of the loyal guys had normal command structures with clearly defined tables of organization and yet almost all the traitor legions were not. Is this some kind of military foreshadowing to let the fans know even before the Heresy something was off in the "bad" legions? That they were already closer to Chaos simply due to how they were organized?

SW have a very different structure to that of the 'Codex' Legions. For example, take the Companies; the main difference is that there are ten in a Codex Chapter, which will be reffered to as X, and the SW as Y, while Y has 12. Now, in X there are the ten and they have numbers, and each number corresponds to their specific actions in battle, ie. 8th = Assault Company. In Y, there are 12 Companies and each is relatively independent in terms of battles, hierarchy and tactics. There is also the difference in Neophytes; Y puts them in Power Armour almost instantly and groups them togethor in large numbers, while X puts them in Scout Armour and uses their smaller size for field recon.

Another; in Y, each Pack is kept togethor throughout their entire Astartes Lives, until they are elevated to Wolf Guard rank or Wolf Lord, or the possibility of Lone Wolves. In X, a member is promoted accordingly and individually, allowing the strong to progress and preventing the weak from keeping them back.

I hope this helps.

I hope this helps.

As the question was about the command structures of the Legions, and not the force organistaion of the Chapters, it probably doesn't. The command structure of the Space Wolves Legion was probably not that different from hos it is now. The strongest warrior of each Great Company becomes it's Wolf Lord, and the Wolf Lords all answer to the Great Wolf. That is pretty straight forward, though where the Space Wolves differ from more conventional Legions is that they may not have had a sub division of their Great Companies, even when they probably were much bigger when they were a Legion.

I hope this helps.

As the question was about the command structures of the Legions, and not the force organistaion of the Chapters, it probably doesn't. The command structure of the Space Wolves Legion was probably not that different from hos it is now. The strongest warrior of each Great Company becomes it's Wolf Lord, and the Wolf Lords all answer to the Great Wolf. That is pretty straight forward, though where the Space Wolves differ from more conventional Legions is that they may not have had a sub division of their Great Companies, even when they probably were much bigger when they were a Legion.

Exactly, Legatus. The point I was bringing up was the command structure not how each specific Legion is organized. the SW still have a recognizable ToO that is fairly standard.

The SW haven't changed, as they still follow the tennets of Russ.

No one is saying they have changed? I don't want to come across poorly but we're not talking about that. I brought up how the loyalist legions all have a very straight forward and regular table of organization. Do you know what a TOE is? The Loyal legions may have some variances in organizational breakdowns but their command structures are all pretty much the same. Contrast that with the Traitor legions and its like night and day. Most Traitor legions have a convoluted and obscure command structure where someone's "rank" doesn't actually carry any weight because the "real" power is in "X". "X" can be a cult or a sect or warrior club or something else.

What I was wondering is if this was done intentionally to show the readers/fans that the Traitor legions were already "bad" and "disorganized" before the Heresy because of how chaotic (no pun intended) their command structures were. I can't think of any Loyalist legions that had an esoteric command structure.

Archived