vezok the annihilator

i love making my own costum charicters and this is my main one:

Vezok is a former dark angel techmarine turned obliterator that served in all of the main 9 legions(thousand sons,death gaurd,iorn warriors,ect) and quickly developed great skill and from each of the legions that he served in he aquired one man in his honar gaurd, as he was very usefull in battles the his fought in the legions. although he serves in many legions he wares the colors of the iron warriors as he still serves for them but some times he will go on his own missions in serch for Knowlage, technolgy, weapons, sorcerous powers and way of weekening the imperium of man. he is not dedicated to all of the gods of chaos although still does worship them all, he mainly worships tzeench, because he he loves sorcery.

here is his stat line:

HQ: Vezok the Annihilator points: 700

WS BS S T W I A LD SV

7 5 7 6 4 5 4 10 2+

Wargear:

Blessed armour of tzeentch, daemaonkin graves, frag & krac grenades, gauntlet of heresy, staff of kae'faal, mark of tzeentch(included in profile), supernova plasma pistol, personal icon, bionics.

Psychic powers:

Warptime, gift of chaos.

Special rules:

Fearless, feel no pain, independent character, 4+ invulnerable save, eternal warrior, immune to psychic abilities, tank hunters, relentless.

Daemaonkin graves

These special graves have the energy of a warp daemon and they have been forged from the metal of a fallen greater daemon's armour, which allows him to

Go an extra 2" towards the nearest enemy, boosting his max distance possible for him to move to 8".

Blessed armour of tzeentch

Vezok’s armour is a very strong, almost impenetrable armour that has been blessed by tzeentch and also the cause of his imunity to psychic abilitys as there is a field of energy that surrounds the armour, it gives him an armour save of 2+.

Gauntlet of Heresy

Vezok uses a power fist called the gauntlet of heresy, as the name suggests it has been around since the heresy and was once used by a great master of the lunar wolfs and rolls 2d6 for armour penatration and adds +1 to the vehicle damage table.

Staff of Kae'faal

Vezok is a psyker and therefore must have a force weapon to cast his psychic powers, he holds the staff of Kae'faal in his power fist(the gauntlet of heresy).

He obtained this from a Tau ethereal that he slaughter in one of his great battles. The staff possessed great energies that were able to host chaos powers

So he tuned it in to a force weapon, the staff always causes instant death(instead of having to take a leadership test) and always hits on a 3+ against units with a WS value.

Supernova Plasma Pistol

Vezok was formally an elite Dark angle tech marine before his betrayal to chaos so he has great skills that allow him to modify his weapons, which he did to his plasma pistol; it now glows red like the burning heat of a supernova (which is why he calls it the supernova plasma pistol) it new stats are range24"/12" s7 ap2 asult2 gets hot/heavy1 blast gets hot.

Optional upgrades:

Dreadnaught: 500points(ill talk about that later)

Servo harness: 120points

If takes both options he may also choose to take 1 more wound for 50points.

also he may take another psychic power called warp lance with the folowing profile:

range36" s9 ap2 asult1, lance, melta for 200points

:)

tell me what you think..

Not to be an ass or anything, but don't you think you went a little over the top with this? Let me hit on the background stuff first, and then follow with lots of rules stuff.

1.) He served with every Legion? That. . . . doesn't make sense to me. Even if he served in warbands split from each of the nine Legions, I was under the impression that once you became, say, a Noise Marine, you were basically stuck as one, forever craving ever greater and more visceral sensations. That kind of requirement leaves little room for the studius contemplation necessary to master the sorcerous arts like a Thousand Son psyker can. It's possible to gain access to multiple Marks by worshipping the different gods at different times (see Abaddon's special Mark), but he didn't actually serve with the other Legions; he pulled warbands from the other Legions to him.

2.) He's got like half of the USRs and stats that make Abaddon go "Wait, what?"

3.) He has the Mark of Tzeentch AND an Icon of Chaos Glory? So he gets to reroll morale checks AND gets a 4+I? Doesn't that strike you as, well, clashing with the rules from the codex that only allow you to give a model a single Mark/Icon? Oh wait, he's Fearless too, so what, exactly, is the point of Chaos Glory?

4.) All of you new wargear. Most special characters have two, maybe three specialty items, and even those tend to be named items normally available in their codex or else have some small tweak to them. You've gone and invented whole new items that are completely game-breaking. Like being immune to psychic powers. At a stroke, you just negated one third of all Space Marine HQs, one half of all Eldar HQs, one half of all Chaos Marine HQs. . . see where I'm going with this? Even Psychic Hoods and Runes of Warding make it possible for enemy powers to succeed; you're just saying, "Nope, sorry, can't hit him with that. Doesn't work." Plus, you should probably check your background before writing some of this. Like the staff he has. You say it belonged an Ethereal and had lots of pent-up psychic power in it. . . which is odd because Tau have little to no psychic presence and no psykers at all; Ethereals pull instant command due to insane charisma and powerful pheromones. And his pistol! ^_^? That's not a plasma pistol, that's a damn plasma CANNON. It's a blast weapon? It's an assault weapon? It's got 24" range? Oh, and one thing you left out: it doesn't Get Hot.

5.) If he's an Obliterator, what's the point of creating new weapons for him (especially that "pistol")? He already can fire as a twinlinked melta, or plasma gun, or lascannon, or half a dozen other things.

6.) A S9 AP2 Melta Lance. With Tank Hunter. Well. I guess I'm leaving all of my tanks and Dreadnoughts at home then, since they obviously aren't going to survive very long against this guy.

If your intent was to create a for-fun character who is an entire army all by himself and likes to invade Terra just "for the fun of it," then I think you've got your guy. He'll definitely going to give every single other army in the game fits trying to splatter him across the battlefield. If you were trying to make a character that made sense from both a fluff and rules perspective that you can reasonably expect other players to *allow* you to put down on the table. . . well, not to put too fine a point on it, but you failed miserably.

As Deus Ex Ferrum stated, this is way too overpowered. It really gives the impression you are a player that wants to win at any cost and not have a fun game, aswel as your oponent. You have to smile when you kill your enemy, AND he has to smile when you're killing him. With this character you won't have many players who even want to play against you.

Again, this is a really ofsetting style of playing, nothing personally, but this guy gets a negative grade in my book.

Yeah way to over powered. I would take it on for a laugh as long as i get an army and its just him. But beyond taking it on once for fun, i wouldn't do it again.

On a side note. I love how this topic at a random /b/ feel to it for a sec with the random posts

1. Toughness 6 on a marine is a bit much unless you're envisioning this marine being more bionics than man. See: Chaplain Cassius.

2. An unmodified strength 7 on a marine is a bit much. Now if he had the normal strength 4 with a servo-arm then that would make sense.

3. Immune to psychic powers. You mention a reason for this in his armor's description. I think this would be fine if instead of an armour save you made him have a 2+ invulnerable save to represent being so difficult to harm with magic. His armor would then either be artificer or regular power armor.

4. Instead of the greaves giving an extra bonus movement which is otherwise unheard of in this game, you could make the greaves give him fleet. The unique thing about the greaves could be that they allow the character to roll 2 or 3D6 and pick the highest for your fleet roll.

5. Why do the Tau have any kind of psychic items? Their race is not psychic. If, however, your story mentions that the Tau seized the item from a long ago war with the forces of Chaos so it could be studied (maybe it made the enemy commander particulalry powerful) or something along the lines of Tau not wielding it for any reason, then sure that's more believable.

6. You mention he was an elite techmarine. I'm not sure what that is. Perhaps saying he was the Master of a Forge would be agreeable. That in conjunction with his plasma pistol really being a conversion beamer would be more balanced in game. Just use the rules for the SM conversion beamer.

In addition, because this guy sounds like a seriously huge hulking figure you could simply remove the relentless and make him slow and purposeful.

ok from the start, i know he is seriosly insane, BUT it is still easy to kill him, i dont field him often due to his points but the frist time i fielded him he got totaly owned by 5 assult termies and i only killed one of them. he is ment for apocalypse(obviosly) so when i play apocalypse im usualy up aganst masive armour divisions and alot of elte infantry LIKE assult termies and vortex missiles.

now to explane my self.....

Deus Ex Ferrum:

1.) He served with every Legion? That. . . . doesn't make sense to me. Even if he served in warbands split from each of the nine Legions, I was under the impression that once you became, say, a Noise Marine, you were basically stuck as one, forever craving ever greater and more visceral sensations. That kind of requirement leaves little room for the studius contemplation necessary to master the sorcerous arts like a Thousand Son psyker can. It's possible to gain access to multiple Marks by worshipping the different gods at different times (see Abaddon's special Mark), but he didn't actually serve with the other Legions; he pulled warbands from the other Legions to him.

obliterators, or lone wolves what ever is best to explane my resons, an oblitoratorgoes serching for his own tech and weapons and sometimes goes to war with a legion or warband. he isnt actualy an Obliterator, as in the mutated termie armour and grows weapons, but he is an Obliterator as in where he goes looking for stuff and is outside the legion(s).

3.) He has the Mark of Tzeentch AND an Icon of Chaos Glory? So he gets to reroll morale checks AND gets a 4+I? Doesn't that strike you as, well, clashing with the rules from the codex that only allow you to give a model a single Mark/Icon? Oh wait, he's Fearless too, so what, exactly, is the point of Chaos Glory?

ok here is an error of mine, i forgot to get rid of the icon of chaos glory so ignor that, though the mark of tzeentch is included in that invulnerable save so its not 3+ its 4+.

4.) All of you new wargear. Most special characters have two, maybe three specialty items, and even those tend to be named items normally available in their codex or else have some small tweak to them. You've gone and invented whole new items that are completely game-breaking. Like being immune to psychic powers. At a stroke, you just negated one third of all Space Marine HQs, one half of all Eldar HQs, one half of all Chaos Marine HQs. . . see where I'm going with this? Even Psychic Hoods and Runes of Warding make it possible for enemy powers to succeed; you're just saying, "Nope, sorry, can't hit him with that. Doesn't work." Plus, you should probably check your background before writing some of this. Like the staff he has. You say it belonged an Ethereal and had lots of pent-up psychic power in it. . . which is odd because Tau have little to no psychic presence and no psykers at all; Ethereals pull instant command due to insane charisma and powerful pheromones. And his pistol! B)? That's not a plasma pistol, that's a damn plasma CANNON. It's a blast weapon? It's an assault weapon? It's got 24" range? Oh, and one thing you left out: it doesn't Get Hot.

ok i like costum stuff, and i didnt want my charicter to be... normal so i created my own war gear. The staff of Kae'fal isnt just an etherials staff, its a heavly modified force weapon and all that is left of the tau staff is the shaft of it, so every thing else is new and chaos. And the Supernova plasma pistol, is my eror again, sorry, i forgot to add in the fact that it is gets hot and also i forgot to add in that when using the plasma cannon of it, its range is 12" so it could possible scatter back on him, so there is a risk.

5.) If he's an Obliterator, what's the point of creating new weapons for him (especially that "pistol")? He already can fire as a twinlinked melta, or plasma gun, or lascannon, or half a dozen other things

he isnt an Oblitorator so he doesnt get that stuff.

6.) A S9 AP2 Melta Lance. With Tank Hunter. Well. I guess I'm leaving all of my tanks and Dreadnoughts at home then, since they obviously aren't going to survive very long against this guy.

sorry another error of mine, it cost points to add in, 200 points to exact, so i wont be using that much.

and now the next one

Zeller:

1. Toughness 6 on a marine is a bit much unless you're envisioning this marine being more bionics than man. See: Chaplain Cassius.

ok then he'll have toughness 6 due to his bionics, i shall change that, thank you.

2. An unmodified strength 7 on a marine is a bit much. Now if he had the normal strength 4 with a servo-arm then that would make sense.

hes not a normal marine, he is an overly enhanced and bionicly aided and augumated SPECIAL CHARACTOR, so there for he is not a marine with strength 4 he is a chaos lord with strength 7.

3. Immune to psychic powers. You mention a reason for this in his armor's description. I think this would be fine if instead of an armour save you made him have a 2+ invulnerable save to represent being so difficult to harm with magic. His armor would then either be artificer or regular power armor

it is artificer armour but its not imperial, its made by chaos and been psychicly enhanced and blessed to make him immune to psychic powers, which is not a new rule, see Khârn.

6. You mention he was an elite techmarine. I'm not sure what that is. Perhaps saying he was the Master of a Forge would be agreeable. That in conjunction with his plasma pistol really being a conversion beamer would be more balanced in game. Just use the rules for the SM conversion beamer.

yeah say he is a master of the forge, i dont even know if DA get masters of the forge, and if he did have a conversion beamer, what about his servo harness, where does that go, id make it another option.

ok i hope i have made a point in all of this(probly not) and you dont all freek out when i show you the rest of his stuff. :(

My bad on Khârn's rule. I've probably read through the book a dozen times and his rule never jumped out to me. Heh.

I see where you're coming from in many of your explanations. Heck, with the costs of the wargear you've designed for him this guy would be so incredibly expensive that you would have no choice but to field him in apocalypse as you've already mentioned.

As far as the dreadnought upgrade is concerned I'm not sure what you're trying to say. In your last blip of upgrades at the end of your post it mentions combining a dreadnought upgrade with the servo harness which together would grant VtA an extra wound for 50 points. Am I interpreting this correctly? Will he have an AV that you must first beat to deal a wound to the guy? That would be an interesting approach.

this just cracked me up, as its very misunderstood...

As far as the dreadnought upgrade is concerned I'm not sure what you're trying to say. In your last blip of upgrades at the end of your post it mentions combining a dreadnought upgrade with the servo harness which together would grant VtA an extra wound for 50 points. Am I interpreting this correctly? Will he have an AV that you must first beat to deal a wound to the guy? That would be an interesting approach.

ok let me explane my self, when vezok dies in battle, the next turn he comes back as a (costum)dreadnought ariving via droppod/deep strike.

i have not worked out all of the stuff for the dread, but ill say what ive done so far:

armour: front 12+? side12+? rear12+? WS7 BS5 S8.

armourments: 2 underslung plasma cannons(instead of heavy flamers or T/L bolters), dreadnought force weapon, chain fist, smoke launchers, searchlight, extra armour.

options: may replace chainfist with multimelta for free, may take manticore missiles for 200+(?) points, may take up to 2 void shields for 300(?) points each.

insanity is me... :cuss

If a character is dead, he's dead. If you REALLY want to use this character, let him choose between normal mode or dreadnought mode. Like a lord can choose between normal armor or termy armor. But don't let him come back in dreadnought armor

Well he's, er, strong... :tu:

he is not dedicated to all of the gods of chaos although still does worship them all, he mainly worships tzeench, because he he loves sorcery.

But to have a mark of a Chaos God he has to be dedicated to that specific God, so by having the mark of Tzeentch it means he's dedicated to Tzeentch, I doubt Tzeentch would bestow his blessing on something that only half worships him.

Vezok is a former dark angel techmarine turned obliterator

If he's an specifically stated as being an Obliterator, why doesn't he have the ability to morph his arms into weapons?

he isnt actualy an Obliterator, as in the mutated termie armour and grows weapons, but he is an Obliterator as in where he goes looking for stuff and is outside the legion(s).

An Obliterator is a creature that can morph into weapons, that by definition is an Obliterator, what you describe is merely a renegade that hungers for power/knowledge/technology, which is basically what all Chaos Lords search for in some form or another.

served in all of the main 9 legions

I may be being pedantic but serving 'in' a certain Legion conjours up the image of them serving and worshipping whatever God that Legion is dedicated to, whereas serving 'with' or 'for' suggests he served outside of their circle of dedication.

WS:7 BS:5 Str:7 T:6 W:4 Ini:5 :A4 Ld:10 Sv:2+

Considering he's an 'apparent' Obliterator type thing, having a WS equal to Abaddon seems a bit off, also Str7/T6 puts him on par with Greater Daemons, not even Daemon Princes, gifted with actual Daemonhood reach his power level, why so powerful?

Psychic powers:

Warptime, gift of chaos.

I look at this and I think you've approached the creation of the rules with the view of 'let's give him everything!', not only does he have amazing combat capabilities, shooting capabilities, amazing stats and wargear but also Psychic powers. Is this really necessary along with everything else?

Fearless, feel no pain, independent character, 4+ invulnerable save, eternal warrior, immune to psychic abilities, tank hunters, relentless.

A bit overboard with the special rules? It's a bit strange that he's immune to psychic abilities (which is mainly a Khorne thing) but he also has the blessing of Tzeentch and can cast powers while being immune to them? Doesn't make sense to me. Why feel no pain? Plus because he's an independent character does that mean he can join units, providing more excess wounds so he's nigh-unkillable.

Go an extra 2" towards the nearest enemy, boosting his max distance possible for him to move to 8".

Just unheard of, give him fleet instead of setting a completely new precedent.

blessed by tzeentch and also the cause of his imunity to psychic abilitys as there is a field of energy that surrounds the armour, it gives him an armour save of 2+.

I don't mind the 2+ armour but despite not being dedicated to any Gods, he has Tzeentch's blessing? How?

Vezok uses a power fist called the gauntlet of heresy, as the name suggests it has been around since the heresy and was once used by a great master of the lunar wolfs and rolls 2d6 for armour penatration and adds +1 to the vehicle damage table.

So it's a Powerfist that has the rules of a Chainfist and one from Lysander's Hammer of Dorn? So he's str 10 and rolls 2D6 armour pen, a bit much? At the most give him one or the other.

he holds the staff of Kae'faal in his power fist(the gauntlet of heresy).

Does he allocate attacks between them or can he only use one or the other? Could you specify please?

He obtained this from a Tau ethereal that he slaughter in one of his great battles. The staff possessed great energies that were able to host chaos powers So he tuned it in to a force weapon

But...it doesn't. It's a Tau Etheral staff, so it's just a nice looking but Psychically redundant and useless staff. Perhaps state it as Eldar or a Librarian's, so it's from a race that is Psychically sensitive.

the staff always causes instant death(instead of having to take a leadership test) and always hits on a 3+ against units with a WS value.

Just no. Instant ID all the time that at Str 7 is going wound almost all the time and he doesn't even have to sacrifice a use of a psychic power to use the ability. Just keep the hitting on a 3+ all the time if you really have to, or just get rid of the staff altogether.

range24"/12" s7 ap2 asult2 gets hot/heavy1 blast gets hot.

A bit confusing make it one or the other, not both, it just looks like you're trying to do 'OMG he's so uber'.

At 200 point's I'd say it's accecpatble, maybe 100 ish, not sure though.

Am I interpreting this correctly? Will he have an AV that you must first beat to deal a wound to the guy? That would be an interesting approach.

That's how I'd interpret it, I'd suggest you clarify it.

ok let me explane my self, when vezok dies in battle, the next turn he comes back as a (costum)dreadnought ariving via droppod/deep strike.

i have not worked out all of the stuff for the dread, but ill say what ive done so far:

Yeah, because that makes sense :mellow: . Just no. I'm not even going to over the proposed rules for the Dreadnought because the whole concept is just ludicrous, if he dies, he stays dead, perhaps make a Dreadnought rule set so you can use one or the other instead of both proposed here.

This guy is basically supposed to be Chuck Norris holding a bear that is holding a shark.

:lol: Very true.

Sorry for the excessive quotations and long post :) .

Okay so my post got melta'd by Nilm and I agree with why so now I will attempt to make some sort of helpful post.

In regards to the Custom Special character you did go way overboard on him for no real reason apart from to make him the most uber leet guy around.

As others have said don't make up completly new rules for him like the 2" extra movement.

and why are his stats better than a daemon prince? he is still mortal and with a guy like this fighting for Chaos , at least one of Abbys black Crusades should have been a uhh Success.

Special rules:

--Okay so half of the rulebooks special rules I would suggest drop the FNP,Tank hunter and Immune to Psy abilities and either drop Relentless or change to Slow and purposful

Daemaonkin graves

These special graves have the energy of a warp daemon and they have been forged from the metal of a fallen greater daemon's armour, which allows him to

-- Best Idea to just drop these no need to make up new rules that are nowhere else in the whole game*well to my knoweldge*

Vezok’s armour is a very strong, almost impenetrable armour that has been blessed by tzeentch and also the cause of his imunity to psychic abilitys as there is a field of energy that surrounds the armour, it gives him an armour save of 2+.

-- For ease why not just say Arti armour? gives 2+ without a huge explanation.

Gauntlet of Heresy

--So in other words He has a PA chainfist?

Staff of Kae'faal

Vezok is a psyker and therefore must have a force weapon to cast his psychic powers, he holds the staff of Kae'faal in his power fist(the gauntlet of heresy).

He obtained this from a Tau ethereal that he slaughter in one of his great battles. The staff possessed great energies that were able to host chaos powers

So he tuned it in to a force weapon, the staff always causes instant death(instead of having to take a leadership test) and always hits on a 3+ against units with a WS value.

--One problem the whole Tau Ethereal having minute Pressence in the warp so either make it a normal Force weapon or drop it all togeather Im not even going to go into the Insta gibb thing

Supernova Plasma Pistol

Vezok was formally an elite Dark angle tech marine before his betrayal to chaos so he has great skills that allow him to modify his weapons, which he did to his plasma pistol; it now glows red like the burning heat of a supernova (which is why he calls it the supernova plasma pistol) it new stats are range24"/12" s7 ap2 asult2 gets hot/heavy1 blast gets hot.

--Okay here is another thing I always thought that Techies kinda did not have a strong like for the whole magic type goings on? So anyway if he is going to have Relentless why not just make it a plasma cannon built into the Chainfist? like a much more uber huron fist?

But also most of the Fluff has not been thought out very well the whole doesnt worship and chaos gods BUT has the MOT the other gods would not like this well more so Nurgle and Khorne one for Ancient enemys and the other for his general dislike for sorcery. and as for the Being a Oblit but not does not make a great deal of sense from any logical direction its he either has the Oblit virus and absorbes any weapon he touches or he does not can get the best of both worlds but yeah He could work if you remove the one man to rule them all approach and accually try and make a character that is somewhat useable in a game outside of Apoc. but yeah Most of what I have said has been said earlier so yeah.

--WFI--

I'd like to be the first to welcome Matt Ward to the B&C forums ;)

On a more serious note, when making up special characters for homebrew it's usually better to base them off an existing character and change the wargear and special rules about a bit to suit your fluff etc. Remember people are going to have to agree to play against it and when you create something like you've posted it's highly unlikely you'll get the permission you need.

I'd like to be the first to welcome Matt Ward to the B&C forums ;)

On a more serious note, when making up special characters for homebrew it's usually better to base them off an existing character and change the wargear and special rules about a bit to suit your fluff etc. Remember people are going to have to agree to play against it and when you create something like you've posted it's highly unlikely you'll get the permission you need.

Agreed. I find it much more satisfying to simply alter existing units and characters fluff and wording than building something up from scratch. You could make a perfectly reasonable Khârn as a Night Lord Captain with some imagination or turn Plague Marines into heavily-armored (yet encumbered, bulky, and slow) front line shock troops who know no fear but have nothing to do with Papa Nurgle, or the like.

Nothing against the OP personally, just my preference.

While I would say one does not have to build a new special character off of an existing, I do think existing characters should be used a guideline for what is reasonable in terms of abilities and point costs. As a general rule, homebrew characters should be weaker/cheaper than the top-level special characters like Abaddon, Calgar, or Grimnar.

ok to start off, HE IS NOT AND OBITORATOR he is just a chaos lord that serves outside legions!!!!

i have made other charictors using other peoples stats like vulkan but in my opinion, all Astartes arrmys are way under powered, as i think SM should take at least 2 wounds and have better toughness and stuff.

in the battles that i use Vezok, im am up against other, even more insane charictors, e.g.

ws bs s t w i ld sv

10 10 10 10 10 10 10 3+on 2d6

which is very hard to take down. but as stated previosly, the openent must agree to use them, and who ever im versing would normaly agree to let me use them due to it uses most of my points, and some times i am able to him at GW when our time is lacking points in an apoc game.

so could you pleese tell me what i would have to do to make him acseptable in your games but stil keep the gauntlet of heresy, the staff and the blesed armour of tzeentch, but they dont have to be the same. also what else would i have to do to take down the above stats.

and as i sayed, astartes are under powered....

EDIT: in neaver sayed i would chang him though

Well aside from the fact that I can't really understand your fluff (I think you are saying he is a fallen dark angel techmarine who has served alongside all 9 Legions, now bears the colours of the Iron Warriors in homage to his obliterator like tendency for loving his tech and worships chaos in a Word Bearers like fashion) I just think that is too much unique stuff.

I like simple characters, well not simple but ones that aren't packing enough weaponry to give an imperator a run for its money.

EDIT: If you think Marines are underpowered, run a search for Movie Marines ;)

And I would play him as is, as the old saying goes, nothing fun is ever easy.

ok to start off, HE IS NOT AND OBITORATOR he is just a chaos lord that serves outside legions!!!!

i have made other charictors using other peoples stats like vulkan but in my opinion, all Astartes arrmys are way under powered, as i think SM should take at least 2 wounds and have better toughness and stuff.

in the battles that i use Vezok, im am up against other, even more insane charictors, e.g.

ws bs s t w i ld sv

10 10 10 10 10 10 10 3+on 2d6

which is very hard to take down. but as stated previosly, the openent must agree to use them, and who ever im versing would normaly agree to let me use them due to it uses most of my points, and some times i am able to him at GW when our time is lacking points in an apoc game.

so could you pleese tell me what i would have to do to make him acseptable in your games but stil keep the gauntlet of heresy, the staff and the blesed armour of tzeentch, but they dont have to be the same. also what else would i have to do to take down the above stats.

and as i sayed, astartes are under powered....

I'm sorry, in your first post you say

Vezok is a former dark angel techmarine turned obliterator
...And now you're saying hes not one.

I agree with the fact that you're saying that SM are underpowered, basically the same shot from a lasgun can kill an Imperial Guard or a Space Marine doesnt make sense unless you introduce a rule where if you roll a 6 to wound you get another dice roll and get another 6 it counts as taking 2 wounds to show a lucky shot but thats not for here.

Your rules for Vezok are ridiculous, and if I was to turn up to a battle against you, saw that I'd pack up and go. For someone to serve in ALL 9 main legions (Your words) is insane, again, as someone has said, to say "Has fought alongside the 9 main legions" would be more sensible. You also say that he was a Dark Angel, that makes 10 Legions that he's fought with.

How big is this guy? I'd be inclined to give him the Monsterous Creature rules- He already gets the +2d6 to penetrate tanks so thats no matter, but it also makes it more understandable that he'd be picked out in shooting - which makes a lot of sense. Otherwise just scrap the Independant Character rules.

Actually. Why would this guy follow Abaddon or any other Chaos Lord...He's far too powerful and would infact be followed by them surely. Since when does anyone listen to anyone that is less powerful than they are?

If you are worried about Space Marines being underpowered, then go you the Movie Marine rules found in White Dwarf 300. Making characters worth their weight in Cheddar is not the way to solve the 'problem' of Marines sucking a$$ (which I don't think they do.)

If you ask me Astartes are fine as is. Many of the other races in 40k could use a good buffing. I mean, just look at the poor Dark Eldar, or Chaos Marines for that matter.

Anyway, Vezok just seems over the top. The stats that you listed are even worse because no one save possibly the Gods of Chaos and the Emperor should have 10s all around.

I'll roll with him not being an obliterator and instead just say he's a rogue techmarine.

love making my own costum charicters and this is my main one:

Thats cool, I love making them too since its fun to make stories for them and create something slightly new for your gaming experience beyond just regular 40k. Oh its even more fun for campaigns.

Vezok is a former dark angel techmarine turned obliterator that served in all of the main 9 legions(thousand sons,death gaurd,iorn warriors,ect) and quickly developed great skill and from each of the legions that he served in he aquired one man in his honar gaurd, as he was very usefull in battles the his fought in the legions.

whoa, slow down partner. What do you mean served in all of the main 9 legions? Do you mean he fought along side them? The only legion that comes to mind that would allow you to do that sorta thing are the Thousand Sons since Magnus required each of his sons to serve time in another legion to gain more information (ex. Ahriman served with the Word Bearers during his time).

The main problem is also how this guy is a techmarine. If what you say is true, he's a brilliant techmarine too, meaning the Lion would be damned to let him serve in one of his brother's legions when he's needed to maintain and upgrade the first Legion's equipment.

he wears the colors of the iron warriors as he still serves for them but some times he will go on his own missions in search of knowledge, technology, weapons, sorcerous powers and way of weakening the Imperium of man.

So he leaves the Dark Angels, fought along side each of the legions and made a friend in each, but then decided to join the Iron Warriors in the end? That just seems so roundabout and random with little to no explanation. Also, why would an Iron Warrior leader ever let this guy out of his sights to go questing for his own stuff? Iron Warriors are supposed to be paranoid technological geniuses. I think they would much rather orbital bombard this guy into ashes than allow him to possibly join another faction and turn against them.

he is not dedicated to all of the gods of chaos although still does worship them all, he mainly worships tzeench, because he he loves sorcery.

He's dedicated, but not dedicated. This is a bit of a contradiction. The other gods would be furious to know that your character is cheating on them with another god.

Imo, just change this to "he worships Tzeentch".

WS BS S T W I A LD SV

7 5 7 6 4 5 4 10 2+

Why should he have a WS 7 when he's a techmarine? I mean, he's somehow good enough at close combat that he can take on Khârn and Lucius on equal footing? Something smells fishy to me. Maybe give him warptime and a WS 5.

I'm not quite sure why he has a strength of 7 if he's only a tech marine. Maybe give him a strength of 8 and initiative 2 to show he has a bionic that acts as a modified power fist. But Strength 7 at I5 is crazy for a marine with no real reason why.

Why would he have a toughness of 6? He's as tough as a carnifex? I think I liked the idea earlier that he is more machine now than man, and as a result has an armor value and then his save.

Psychic powers:

Warptime, gift of chaos.

To be honest I don't quite understand this. If he's more machine now than man how does he still have a link to the warp thats strong enough to bend time around him or cause someone to spontaneously explode into tentacles? If we flip it the other way and say he's just an everyday Techmarine, then what daemon did he make a deal with to get these powers? Cause the worship of Tzeentch doesn't always mean you get psychic powers magically. Just look at the chaos lord, years of serving Tzeentch and he only gets that stupid sword of his. If he was already a psyker, why not use the loyalist's psychic powers? why didn't he become a librarian?

Maybe come up with a story on why he's a techmarine psyker who was trained on mars? That would make things interesting. The problem you'd have to overcome is why not make him a librarian? What happened after the edicts of Nikea? etc etc.

special rules:

Why feel no pain? Why eternal warrior? Why immunity to psychic powers? why relentless?

you cited Khârn as a reason why, but he's the blood god's greatest (im)mortal champion. The nullification of psychic powers is generally only found in Khorne's camp because he hates them so much, or in the inquisition's camp. If you really wanted to keep this rule then give him a null staff he picked up from a dead inquisitor.

Beyond that though, I don't see much justification for these rules to be on him. I'm not sure why a techmarine would somehow have eternal warrior and the ability to move and shoot heavy weapons. I also don't understand how a techmarine, even blessed by Tzeentch can stand up to an anti-tank missle or a melta shot blasting him into bits.

Daemaonkin graves

I don't understand how these work. There is no precedent for this, and if stuffing a daemon into your boots worked like that then Sorcerers and Iron Warriors everywhere should be moving at 8" every turn. Furthermore, why would rough terrain suddenly negate the daemon inside of it and suddenly make you move at 6" max? (I don't see any move through cover and things like that so I'm assuming you still take a rough terrain test) Maybe make it like a daemon weapon and have the daemon revolt cause your stepping on it when you try to move those extra 2"?

A field of energy is cool, but nullifying psychic abilities? I don't think so. Making them nonexistant is still Khorne's ability, Tzeentch's is to provide you with stronger powers. Maybe give him a 3+ invuln instead of a 4+. But otherwise you should just say its blessed artificer armor.

Gauntlet of Heresy

This is just me, but just because you put the word "heresy" after "gauntlet" doesn't mean its from the Horus Heresy. It doesn't even suggest it to me. It could just mean that it is infused with powers to make people commit heretical actions, or Vezok was forced to commit a heretical action to get it.

It was used by the great grandmaster of the Luna wolves? How did he come into possession of a weapon that belonged to Horus or Abaddon?

The rules I guess I'm okay with since its just a beefed up chainfist. You just need to lower the base strength stat for this guy to account for this weapon is all. His initiative does go down to 1 for using it right?

Staff of Kae'faal

If its a force weapon make him go through a psychic test to kill people, not just plainly do it out right. A 3+ on anything with a WS value seems out of place for this character since he's walking around trying to find technology, not beast on people in close combat. Maybe if you gave a better explanation as to why a plain old staff suddenly gives him the ability to auto-hit at 3+, it would make more sense.

How does he turn it into a force weapon anyway? Why an Ethereals?

Supernova Plasma Pistol

Vezok was formally an elite Dark angle tech marine before his betrayal to chaos so he has great skills that allow him to modify his weapons, which he did to his plasma pistol; it now glows red like the burning heat of a supernova. Its new stats are:

Range S AP

24"/12" s7 ap2 asult2 gets hot/heavy1 blast gets hot.

To be quite honest I'm alright with this. When you pair it off with warptime he becomes an infantry killer which would allow him to start making back his 700pt cost.

Optional upgrades:

Dreadnaught: 500points(ill talk about that later)

Servo harness: 120points

If takes both options he may also choose to take 1 more wound for 50points.

also he may take another psychic power called warp lance with the folowing profile:

The dreadnought option would be cool The servo harness I feel like he should already have if he's going to cost that much and be a techmarine anyway.

To be quite honest with you, this character really needs to know what he wants to do. Is e going to kill infantry? pop tanks? I think important points you want to keep:

-he can move and shoot a pretty damned powerful weapon

-he doesn't have the obliterator's flexibility

-possibility of blowing himself up

-nifty weapon + warptime

-he's a techmarine first and foremost

-he's a techmarine who worships Tzeentch with his technology and psychic powers (which you need to explain)

-he's from a legion, somehow use that because at this point in time if you say he comes from the Night Lords legion or Alpha Legion it wouldn't change anything

My suggestions:

-Fluff and story wise, give him a better background

-give him a better background for his weapons

-change some of his stats so it stays in line with the rest of 40k

-pick either to emphasize his being a techmarine, or make him a technological sorcerer, or a close-combat beast. Doing all three just makes it seem like he's an unstoppable juggernaut in a realm of mortals that some how is able to take his gun and blast open a hole into time and space itself and then proceed to go back in time and kill the Emperor so then the Imperium of man would worship him.

Hope this was helpful.

PS. I really hope Vezok wasn't made to troll these boards

Archived