Artwork - Chapter Master - Nearly Completed

Inspired by the announcement of Mark III Iron armor from Forgeworld, I decided today to draw something incorporating it.

This is the Chapter Master for my DIY Chapter, the Doom Guard. His name is Conrad Halden "the Eternal", and as you can see, he incorporates several models of Power Armor in his own suit. I took that idea straight out of the fluff, but I also think it looks really cool.

Anyway, one of his shin-pieces is Mk. V, his helmet is Mk. III, and the rest is either Mk. VI or VII/VIII.

I intend one day to turn this sketch into a model, when I have time and resources to do so. Halden is armed with a Power Fist and Power Weapon, and is wearing Artificer Armor.

Anyway, my one issue is the Power Weapon. I tried making a Relic Blade, a nice long sword, but it didn't work out so well. Here you see him with a Morningstar, which looks good, but isn't a very Space Marine-ish weapon. Suggestions on how to make it look the part would be appreciated.

Either that, or I could make into a mace of sorts, like some older miniatures have, or I could try the sword again...

Thoughts or comments are welcome.

Oh, and I drew it in one to two hours, for those who want to know.

gallery_50723_4325_793747.jpg

I think the morningstar needs to look a LOT more mace-like. Right now it looks like a broken sword with cherries affixed to the end (harsh criticism but i have to say it).

Instead of having it be like a sword with a hilt and everything, make it look like a mace handle. Like that sergeant on the back of the SM codex. I'm not sure about the flail part, maybe make it a solid mace, thats just personal preference.

edit for spelling

I think the morningstar needs to look a LOT more mace-like. Right now it looks like a broken sword with cherries affixed to the end (harsh criticism but i have to say it).

Instead of having it be like a sword with a hilt and everything, make it look like a mace handle. Like that sergeant on the back of the SM codex. I'm not sue about the flail part, maybe make it a solid mace, thats just personal preference.

I agree with you, actually. I've modified it to be a mace. I had a look at the back of the Codew, and compared the mace there to historical ones, and I think I'd prefer mine to have a long handle.

Also, brennus, I've taken your advice and made some cabling, to make it more futuristic. As futuristic as maces go, anyway...

Well, here's a picture of Halden with the mace...

Sorry for the quality of this picture, but I don't have a scanner and had to take a photograph. It looks blurred around the handle of the mace, but in actuality it's fine.

gallery_50723_4325_954460.jpg

And once more, but with more contrast, making him all dramatic and such:

gallery_50723_4325_4240815.jpg

Yes! much better!

What's your DIY chapter's color scheme, by the way?

Well, like this:

sm.php?b62c=@haLvy_hXbsb.i8khi____@@@_@hLL9J@@..@@@@@@@@@@@._._@@@..@@@..hLL9J@@@@@@@@@@____@iakk7&

Except with a lot more gold decoration and a golden helmet as well.

And I do plan on building him, but I'd like to wait for the new Forge World releases to become available to make the best of it. I'll be sure to post a WIP thread when I do! In the meantime, does anyone suggest more modification, or can I go and post him up in the Hall of Honor along with his fluff?

maybe make a nice background for him

Usually when I try to draw a background, I ruin the picture or I detract from the character. I think I'll just make him something to be placing his foot on. A rock or something.

Archived