Venerable Dreadnought

A while ago I saw a few threads with converted dreadnoughts in them, most notable these two:

Converting Plastic Dreadnoughts and Overrated's Librarian Dreadnought

After looking at those threads I started to turn some ideas over in my head and decided I wanted to try something like that. Fast forward a couple of months and I was finally in a position to be able to try out what I wanted to do. The following photos are what I've done so far (You'll notice that quite a bit of the dreadnought isn't present just now. That's because rather than buy a £25 kit, I ordered the parts I wanted from bits sites. As a result I don't have all the parts yet, but I thought I'd make a start anyway):

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/VenerableIronclad1.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/VenerableIronclad2.jpg

Since Im having to repostion the power cabling on the right leg I thought I'd do the same for the left one too so that they look the same. This however threw up an unexpected 'problem'. The power cables on the right (not present in these photos although they have since been made) have to be significantly longer due to the postion of the leg. So I'm thinking that in order for this to happen the cables actually extend so that the dreadnought can walk. Or they'll need to be long on both sides, if not then he'd only be able to manage a rather slow shuffle. I'm not sure whether to lengthen the ones on the left side now or not.....

Next update should hopefully have a bit more done. I need to tidy up the re-positioned knee and hip joints with some greenstuff, then get the right side power cabling in place (which by the way is an absolute pain in the ass, if you're thinking of trying this you'll need a big bucket of patience) oh and tidy up the feet.

Cheers

James

i've always assumed the ribbing on the cabling is to allow it to stretch and recoil.

looking good so far. i did a similar leg job on my BT dread, putting him crushing a barrel on it's side under foot.

Whew... I'm glad I'm not gonna have to re-do the left side cables, they're so fiddly!

The arms will be a Hurricane Bolter arm from the Ironclad kit and (hopefully) the CCW weapon arm from the Venerable kit with the old style hand. I know this isn't a viable option under the codex but I'm thinking that with six bolters in the Hurricane and six barrels on an assault cannon, with a little bit of constructive fluff I could get away with it. I might also try and get a hold of one of the Venerable dreadnought gun arms as well.

Vapouriser Automatic Cannon: A little used off shoot of the Assault Cannon development program was the Vapouriser. While experimenting with multi-barreled weapon designs, the Adepts of Mars tried using six separate barrels which fired simulataneously. While the ammunition was of smaller calibre (comparable to a standard boltgun round) than that fired by the Autocannon they were attempting to improve, the resultant hail of diamantine tipped shells thrown out by the weapon more than made up for it as target drones and later the Emperor's foes were reduced to bloody shreds in seconds. Even armoured vehicles could be penetrated by the weight of sustained fire the Vaporiser laid down although theis did require that weak spots on the enemy armour be identifed and exploited with far more efficiency than with heavier weaponry such as the Lascannon and Missile Launcher.

Unfortunately due to the close proximity of the individual barrels the weapon was prone to over-heating. The solution was to mount the Vapouriser on a dreadnought chassis allowing for use of the vastly superior liquid nitrogen coolant systems carried by the mighty war machines. This alleviated the problem of overheating and the weapon saw brief service during the Great Crusade, however the Vapouriser Automatic Cannon was quickly superceded by the superior Assault Cannon due to it's slightly higher rate of fire and larger calibre ammunition.

Some Astartes Chapters still maintain a few Vaporiser Automatic Cannon, and occasionally their Dreadnoughts still carry them onto the field of battle.

In game terms the Vapouriser Automatic Cannon counts as an Assault Cannon.

Well that's my story anyway and I'm sticking to it :cuss

cheers

James

That is a real nice start and a little spooky to see, I started about a week or two ago doing a venerable dread in the same standing on something pose.

I am guessing the inspiration is from seeing Pizzasemmel venerable dread? (Link if you haven’t seen it – http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...owtopic=202723)

With positioning the legs how did you get the knee to bend like that? I think I may have gone about it the wrong way.

Encountered the same cable issue, if you look at the ones that you cut off there is no way that they would work unless they were extendable cable, perhaps made of a rubber. Solved the cable issue by the use of slightly longer cabling (bass guitar wire), made the gaps between the wound round wire look smaller by carefully putting super glue in between.

What are you going to place under the foot?

BII :nuke:

Thanks for the link to Pizasemmel's dreadnought. I had seen it before but it is definately a very inspiring mini :nuke:.

If I get the chance I'll post up a picture showing where I placed the cuts on the leg to get the knee bent like this. As for something to go under the foot I was thinking either a large rock or a chunk of battle field wreckage, not entirely sure which yet though.

Cheers

James

Pic’s would be awesome as the leg is not completely assembled at this point.

I was thinking battle field wreckage but I was finding it hard to have something that could have been there for ages rather than something that looks like it just fell there from the sky.

Maybe I could suggest a Dreadnought off? Dirty comments aside, it would be an interesting challenge.

BII :tu:

A dread off would be kinda cool if I didn't have so much else on just now. I'm just about to start work on another commission :pirate:. I'd like to see what you're doing with your one though. My plan for this one was to work on it on and off over the next few months and aim to have it finished in time for the next Golden Bolter competition. I'm trying to build at least one 'really great' mini for each of last years categories (as I'm fairly sure they'll remain unchanged) so that I can then pick one and go to town painting it, rather than spend the first month building like I did last year.

In the image below, each red line shows where I placed the cuts to separate the leg. (it works the same for the opposite side to the one I actually did as the cuts go in the same places). It's easier to do this when the legs are unassembled as shown in the photo. Once you've separated the parts, clean and glue them and you've got fully functioning hip and knee joints which you can position as you wish. You're limited by the restrictions of the knee as the dread would be in real life though.

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/dreadleg.jpg

(image used was taken from BitzBox.com before being edited)

You'll need to trim off the top peg that the shin plate would glue on to as it looks out of place once you've bent the knee. Don't worry the shinguard will sit fine with just the one peg once you're ready to apply glue.

For the raised foot on the base I was thinking perhaps part of a smashed up xenos vehicle, but if I can find some I'd like to try building a base using some cork.

Thanks

James

A dread off would be kinda cool if I didn't have so much else on just now. I'm just about to start work on another commission :pirate:. I'd like to see what you're doing with your one though. My plan for this one was to work on it on and off over the next few months and aim to have it finished in time for the next Golden Bolter competition. I'm trying to build at least one 'really great' mini for each of last years categories (as I'm fairly sure they'll remain unchanged) so that I can then pick one and go to town painting it, rather than spend the first month building like I did last year.

In the image below, each red line shows where I placed the cuts to separate the leg. (it works the same for the opposite side to the one I actually did as the cuts go in the same places). It's easier to do this when the legs are unassembled as shown in the photo. Once you've separated the parts, clean and glue them and you've got fully functioning hip and knee joints which you can position as you wish. You're limited by the restrictions of the knee as the dread would be in real life though.

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/dreadleg.jpg

(image used was taken from BitzBox.com before being edited)

You'll need to trim off the top peg that the shin plate would glue on to as it looks out of place once you've bent the knee. Don't worry the shinguard will sit fine with just the one peg once you're ready to apply glue.

For the raised foot on the base I was thinking perhaps part of a smashed up xenos vehicle, but if I can find some I'd like to try building a base using some cork.

Thanks

James

I can't help but picture a killa kan under the foot ;) great model, personally I'm ot a fan of running dreadnoughts as the model looks to top heavy to me for it to be running. But that dosen't mean that they should have the same static face forward at attention pose so good job :pirate:

I am guessing the inspiration is from seeing Pizzasemmel venerable dread?

or my dread? :pirate: :pirate:

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l8/rider_in_black/DSCF3120.jpg

those are pretty much the same cuts i made.

i also cut the "toes" on the foot to move them more naturally around the barrel

the legs are awesome, without a doubt, and i will be trying this (why's my wallet crying?)

my problem is the sarcophagus, just the way its standing, but will have to wait and see when the arms are added

but i would rcommend either tilting it towards the lifted leg ever so slightly - and then angle the gun towards whatever the dreadnaught is standing on, execution style (maybe with an armour plate in the power fist)

or

facing more away from wreckage, as if hunting for next target/ encouraging bretheren

but lets see what you've got....

i'm in for a 'dread off' :)

I think I can see what you're saying about his torso. To be honest it's only in those two photos so it wasn't just a pair of legs perched on some blu-tac :D.

I should hopefully have his right arm by the end of this week but the left may be a bit longer coming as I'm set on giving him the venerable dreadnought's old stlye hand and arm.....

As for the dread off, I've just posted up in the dedicated thread for that but suffice to say if I can take part I will. Just got to fit it round painting some BA for a commission.

cheers

James

Small update on this project. I've managed to order the Venerable dreadnought Close Combat arm, alas though I couldn't get the hand that I wanted so that'll have to wait. I'm also still waiting on the Hurricae Bolter arm that I ordered as well so not much progress has been made.

What I have done though is file down some Drop Pod chapter icons (you'll have to guess which though) for a couple of locations on his armour. I've also rejigged his power plant slightly as well:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/VenerableDreadnoughtpowerplant.jpg

This was for several reasons. The first was because the two halves of the powerplant didn't fit flush even after some filing and sanding. This lead to the other reason, which was that I wanted the powerplant to look different from the standard one (I couldn't find a venerable one when I place my orders before) so I figured I might as well lop off the exhaust stacks as they were causing the most hassle and then add something different. I think it works quite well. I also replaced the two cables at the bottom of the powerplant because the mould line on them was horrendous.

I promise that the next update will be more substantial as I should have almost all of the parts I need soon :(

cheers

James

Thanks to mikhail being able to help out with the hand I was looking for I now have (or will have shortly) almost all the parts I need for the dreadnought itself. Just need to figure out the base now. I'm gonna try perching him on a deceased Wraithlord. Either that or a resin base I've found on an Ebay shop. I really want to try and use what I've got though so I'll try the wraithlord first.

thanks

James

Thanks to mikhail being able to help out with the hand I was looking for I now have (or will have shortly) almost all the parts I need for the dreadnought itself. Just need to figure out the base now. I'm gonna try perching him on a deceased Wraithlord. Either that or a resin base I've found on an Ebay shop. I really want to try and use what I've got though so I'll try the wraithlord first.

thanks

James

quick question, how easy is guitar wire to use/bend into shape?

(dunno why i quoted this, but my dread is perched on a dead killa kan :-D )

I also have a quick question, what did you use for the new exhaust pipes, they look cool.

I believe that they are from an Imperial Guard tank. My guess would be Baneblade, but they could be from a Leman Russ.

PoS: Do you mind if I borrow your exhaust pipe idea?

Leman Russ battle tank (older one at least) - well spotted. dunno why i thought of orks, unless i did a looted one ages ago

Please be my guest and steal this idea, just make sure and call it the Sparta pattern powerplant :).

As for the parts, you're all half right it's the very tops of Leman Russ exhausts (the old ones before the new kits came out) and the bits between the armour plating and the Leman Russ exhausts are actually cut from two IG Heavy weapons team lascannons.

I really wanted to use Baneblade ones but none of the bits sites had any in stock so I decided to improvise. I think Baneblade ones might look a bit better because they're a bit chunkier.

@ Brother Martemis: Guitar wire is actually quite easy to work with. It bends quite niely around most cylinder shader objects (I've been using my round file) and can be cut using snips or clippers (although they will eventually blunt clippers apparently... luckily I've got two pairs:)) It can be a little fiddly to position (especially if you have sausage fingers like mine) and you will need a pin vice to drill holes to locate your wire as even once it's bent it's still pretty springy. If you've been thinking about using it I'd say just give it a go. You don't even have to buy it, I bummed the stuff I've been using off a friend who had no use for it cause it had broken...

cheers

James

Another small update I'm afraid. I've re worked the ammunition supply for the storm bolter on the CCW arm:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/VenerableDreadnoughtCCW.jpg

I still need to find something to cover the gap that the ammo feed was supposed to attach to by the shoulder armour.

(Let this be a lesson to others: The Ironclad Dreadnought storm bolter does not fit onto the Venerable Dreanought CCW arm :).)

More complete photos are coming I promise.

thanks

James

Finally some real progress:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/VenIronclad3.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/VenIronclad4.jpg

Obviously still a few parts missing, and still a lot of tidying up to do, not least smoothing the join between the base and the dreadnought, but I feel like I'm getting somewhere now :lol:

thanks

James

Archived