Venerable Dreadnought

Thanks guys.

Be my guest KhorneHunter57x :). It's just a plain old heavy bolter ammo box from the devastator kit (my brother had a spare one) trimmed and filed down to fit. I think in a pinch a couple of stormbolter ammo boxes could do the job as well though.

That's two Sparta pattern variants this project has spawned, I wonder if I can think of any more?

cheers

James

i may have to utilise the sparta pattern storm bolter, not so sure about the powerplant though (but thats personal taste); working on a powerplant of my own tonight...

none of that changes the fact that you have an awesome model there

Thanks Rider, the base is from this store on e-bay. They're very good quality white resin casts. Well the one I got was anyway. Worth a try if you're on the look out for resin bases, as theirs seem to be better quality both in terms of manufacture and visual effects than a lot of the ones available in the UK just now.

cheers

James

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, this project and therefore this thread is not dead yet! I'm still needing a coule of bits to complete him but they're on route as I type. I wondered though if I could get some opinions on the pose in the photos below? It happened completly by accident (the waist is pinned but not glued and he sort of swiveled himself into it)

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/vendreadnought6.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/vendreadnought5.jpg

many thanks

James

Thanks guys. Once they arrive I'll get the rest of the parts on him and stick up some more photos so you can see him 'completed'.

@ Xavier Targhost: I'm using the Hurricane Bolters for a couple of reasons, the Venerable dreadnought arms were quite expensive to buy and this project was started on a tight budget, I have a soft spot for the look and idea of the hurricane bolter and because I wanted to do something different :D. I even came up with an excuse for it back at the start of the thread as well, which I'll repost here:

Vapouriser Automatic Cannon: A little used off shoot of the Assault Cannon development program was the Vapouriser. While experimenting with multi-barreled weapon designs, the Adepts of Mars tried using six separate barrels which fired simulataneously. While the ammunition was of smaller calibre (comparable to a standard boltgun round) than that fired by the Autocannon they were attempting to improve, the resultant hail of diamantine tipped shells thrown out by the weapon more than made up for it as target drones and later the Emperor's foes were reduced to bloody shreds in seconds. Even armoured vehicles could be penetrated by the weight of sustained fire the Vaporiser laid down although theis did require that weak spots on the enemy armour be identifed and exploited with far more efficiency than with heavier weaponry such as the Lascannon and Missile Launcher.

Unfortunately due to the close proximity of the individual barrels the weapon was prone to over-heating. The solution was to mount the Vapouriser on a dreadnought chassis allowing for use of the vastly superior liquid nitrogen coolant systems carried by the mighty war machines. This alleviated the problem of overheating and the weapon saw brief service during the Great Crusade, however the Vapouriser Automatic Cannon was quickly superceded by the superior Assault Cannon due to it's slightly higher rate of fire and larger calibre ammunition.

Some Astartes Chapters still maintain a few Vaporiser Automatic Cannon, and occasionally their Dreadnoughts still carry them onto the field of battle.

In game terms the Vapouriser Automatic Cannon counts as an Assault Cannon.

cheers

James

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, this monster is essentially finished. Just need to glue the helmet, powerfist and bolters in place and he's done. I'm gonna leave the torso loose so it's easier to paint. Without more unneccesary waffle here's how he looks:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/DSCF8984-1.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/DSCF8985-1.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/DSCF8986-1.jpg

This last photo was taken before the others were. The rest of the photos from this angle were a bit poor but I think this kinda conveys the sheer size and bulk of a Space Marine Dreadnought:http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/DSCF8979.jpg

I tried adding some more markings using Brass Etch but they just looked a bit silly. I'm not sure if this was down to the difference in colour or that they weren't exactly flush with the plastic. Either way I've decided to add the rest of his chapter markings and honours at the painting stage. I'm sure there will be some who wonder why he's an Ultramarine (I think the 'U' on his sarcophagus armour is visible in the photos), I decided that since all of the battle honours on his armour were battles that were likely fought by the Ultramarines that it would make little sense to paint him as anything else.

So now I just need to wait until the Golden Bolter starts to begin painting him. Thanks to everyone who helped out with parts, part of this model literally belongs to you :).

cheers

James

Thanks for the comments guys. I've kinda had him hidden in plain sight KK. I wanted to build a dreadnought ever since I saw the 'new' plastic Venerable kit and I also wanted to build a couple of really cool mini's that I could paint the hell out of for this years Golden Bolter contest. I figured although it's a painting competition, it comes down to how good the mini looks as well. This guy is one of the possible options for the contest :D

James

I really like it now it has developed. I guess on the plus side the model can be used as an Ironclad as well as a Venerable if you wanted to!

I have a question - is it just the pictures, or is the plastic Venerable kit bigger than a regular plastic Dreadnought?

Thanks Interrogator-Chaplain Adam. To be honest I couldn't tell you if it's just the photos or not I'm afraid. The legs are from a regular Dreadnought, one of the feet is from the venerable kit the other from the regular one, it's really only the torso and left arm that's from the venerable kit. He is truly the bastard son of all three of GW's Dreadnought variants, but I think that just makes him more unique :D.

James

Archived