Wysiwyg?

KaosRaptor

Hi all. I hope this is a good place to post this, I have a quick question. (If it's not, could a mod please move it? Thanks.)

In terms of what you see is what you get, I've been looking through my CSM codex, and it says that the default marine is armed with a bolt pistol, close-combat weapon, and a bolter, among other things.

Now, what I'm confused about is if you model some marines in your squad with say, chainswords and bolt pistols rather than a bolter, do they count as firing a bolt pistol, or can you choose to shoot with a bolter instead?

I hope this isn't to silly a question, many thanks in advance. ;)

You'd be able to choose to fire either the bolt gun or the bolt pistol. There are of course perks for either, the bolter can shoot up to 24" once, or twice up to 12" (if you've moved or stayed still) but you wont be able to charge into combat. The bolt pistol can only shoot up to 12" once, but you can then also charge into combat

Basically imagine it like this, you don't have to have everything the model is equipped with shown, but the model must be equipped with what he is shown with.

Example, a CSM may be modelled with a Bolt Pistol and CCW, or a Bolter. But he may not be modelled with Lightning Claws or a Heavy Flamer.

Brilliant, thanks all, that really helps! :cuss

I've only played one game so far (against my brothers Dark Angels), so my experience is a bit lacking.

And Blitzkrieg, does that mean if a marine is equipped with something like a flamer or heavy bolter, he can still fire his bolt pistol if he wants to?

Thanks again.

Provided he is armed still armed with Bolt Pistol.

I don't know about the chaos codex but the space wolves codex for example says that Grey Hunter (who has the BP, CCW and Bolter) exchanges the Bolter for a Flamer/Meltagun/Plasma Gun. Meaning he can still shoot his bolt pistol because he still has it. Any wargear the model has he can use. Simple as that.

I'm going to restate what has been said, but basically it's general convention that basic equipment doesn't have to be represented on the model, where optional equipment does.

For example, you don't have to model every model with grenades, pistols, or bolters, but that plasma gun should be modeled since it's an option(mainly makes it easy for your opponent).

I personally model my CSM squads as a mix of bolter toting dudes, bolter+CCW guys, bolt pistol and CCW guys, and bolter+ bolt pistol guys, as well as some odd marines with grenades or whatever for variety, but every special weapon is well and recognizably represented. My squads all have a good representation of their gear as a whole, but not every marine is actually loaded to the teeth with all the crap they're supposed to be carrying(some do, but that tends to make the models too busy IMO ;) ).

You can always try something new by proxy with "counts-as" but that needs to be discussed with your opponent beforehand, and it helps to use something unique, say you want to try all your flamer marines as plasma guns for one game(it would be really confusing to play just some of them as plasma guns!), or you want that dreadnought to represent a daemon prince to give it a shot. Again, this needs to be discussed with your opponent ahead of time, proxy is purely opponents permission.

Amongst my play group, we don't require everything that's in the war gear to be included in each model. We feel that if you have to pay points for it, then it should be included. If we had to put grenades on all our models, I'd probably lose my mind painting them all.

i have a question that is related to this topic, if i modeled a dark aphostle for a word bearers army and made him partially from space marine parts (think Huron Blackhart's body) maybe buffed it out with some plasticard and green stuff then added some possessed parts (legs wings maybe an arm) and then ran him as a daemon prince would this be alright? he would have some from of maceish weapon (handweapon) and deamonic mutations like a daemon prince, what do you guys think?

thanks for any imput

DM

Daemon Prince is a Monstrous Creature.

IMO that means he needs to be large => taller than a Rhino and on a 60mm base.

Yours sounds like he's the same size as a marine in Power Armour, which means he's too easy to hide.

Would be okay as a Lord, or Sorcerer, or one of the named special characters.

Cheers, Paul.

ok thanks, oh well (sighs and looks wistfully at huron blackhart model) i would make the conversion but i was really looking for a deamon prince. would have made an awesome iron warriors daemon prince.

thanks anyway

DM

Archived