Homers / Beacons

ImperialReaper

I do have a slight issue regarding the homers/beacons for teleporters and shocktroops.

When I mentioned in another topic that I am planning to drop a droppod with a homer/beacon in the first round into the enemy lines and then drop down my other units within 6" arround it someone here told me it would not work. He told me those homers/beacons only work for teleporting units and the only units which can do that are terminators.

So I looked into my BA codex and I found two answers. In the Equippment section there are teleporter beacons/homers mentioned, which realy only allow units which can teleport not to drift away within 6". But then in the troops section among scoutbikes I found an entry of just a homer/beacon. This says nothing about that a unit hat to teleport - it says that "all units which arrive as shocktroops" within 6" arround the homer/beacon do dont drift (I had to kind of REtranslate this into english from my german codex). Shocktroops but crealry include all of my jumptroops as well as other doppods and also my landraiders...

Can someone please clearify this for me? What do the original english rules say about that?

afaik teleport homers only work for models teleporting in, Homing Beacosn (the ones found on drop pods and such like) will prevent any deepstriking unit from scattering.

Basically the drop pods and scout bikes would stop your jump packs/land raiders and other deepstrikers from drifting regardless of the method employed to get them to the battlefield.

Aditionaly a teleport homer or locator beacon only works the turn after they arive from reserves (so you cannot land a beacon the first turn and then use them to land other things the same turn).

Correction - begin working the turn after they arrive....

Beacons good.....

Blood Angels don't get Locator Beacons. They only get Teleport Homers. Of course, they get Descent of Angels all the time anyway.

The only unit I see in the BA Codex that gets a Teleport homer is the Tac squad.

The Scouts, Droppod and Stormraven all have Locator Beacon options

Please note that Blood Angels only get DoA for Jumppacks deepstriking. All other Deepstrike units will scatter the 2D6" unless within range of the Homer/Beacon.

The Landraider Deepstrike is not a teleport, and as such will only gain the benefit from the Locator Beacon

Blood Angels don't get Locator Beacons. They only get Teleport Homers. Of course, they get Descent of Angels all the time anyway.

The only unit I see in the BA Codex that gets a Teleport homer is the Tac squad.

The Scouts, Droppod and Stormraven all have Locator Beacon options

Please note that Blood Angels only get DoA for Jumppacks deepstriking. All other Deepstrike units will scatter the 2D6" unless within range of the Homer/Beacon.

The Landraider Deepstrike is not a teleport, and as such will only gain the benefit from the Locator Beacon

Hmmm. I stand corrected. Must have missed it when the codex came out because it's in the wrong place in the book.

On the topic of "the locator beacon only works the tun after they arrive".

The codex (again retranslated from german) says " the locator beacon only can be used if it already was on the field at the beginning of the turn.

This but means if I equipp a scout bike squad which is not in reserve with a beacon - I can use it right away, because the first turn (RAW) starts AFTER the players have deployed their units.

Since I do have an extra Scout movement I can drop down my reinforcements right next to my enemy...sounds like fun!

That why many DW players throw in 3 bikes (which have built-in teleport beacons)...so you can pin point the attack.

The problem is that if you go second, those bikes are likely to be one of the few objectives to shoot at... and usually a number 1 target for an experienced opponent.

That why many DW players throw in 3 bikes (which have built-in teleport beacons)...so you can pin point the attack.

The problem is that if you go second, those bikes are likely to be one of the few objectives to shoot at... and usually a number 1 target for an experienced opponent.

I see. But they are T5 targets and the models are comparabely small so you can easily make good use of cover.

But even so - you should make it hard for the opponent to prioritise his targets. For Instance by fielding an assault squad in a rhino which he also needs to focus before it gets close to him. But I guess this is content for the tactical forum.

Yes, its more of Tactica subforum... but in the grim future, there is only tactica :Elite:

T5... except for Instant Death. Do you usually face any missile launchers, lasscannons or meltaguns? ;D

From experience (painful one), a single squad gets a lot of attention in turn 1, specially when there is nothing else on the table.

Also, remember that the turn you fall, you can only shoot... so if you fall close, prepare yourself to get a lot of love :FA:

However, there is only one way you can learn this: try it in a few games ;)

I definitely will do and I am aware of the shortcommings of my plan.

But by simple logic - dropping down and taking one turn of fire with cover from a droppod is much better than taking 2 or 3 turns of fire when moving to your enemy by rhino or even by foot/jumppack.

I but still hope that I can hide my scoutbikes somehow, or make good use of cover.

I also could try to get them into close combat with a unit which only have normal CC weapons to make good use of the T5 and have a good chance to make them survive the first turn.

Its not a matter or logic: its a matter of numbers (Mathhammer) or even better, game experience :huh:

Please do post your conclusions after a couple games ;)

And please do so in Tactica or the DA forums.

• 5 months later...

since this is already being discussed, I would like to add a further question :

When DS , and I have a beacon/homer/icon/whatever, do I get to measure the 6" radius or no?

Since it is done during the movement phase and you can measure all day long in it, wouldnt I be allowed to measure? A friend recently informed me that the guys at his store told him that there is no pre-measure for any of the above items, they said its ard boyz and tourney rules...and this is the first time I have ever heard of this in all the years of playing 40k. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This has come up before and I always answer it thus:

As per RAW you are able to choose (or not) to land within 6" of the beacon/homer etc, and in order to fulfill that choice you must obviously need to pre-measure the distance.

Cheers

I

Archived