dread-off

what up honoured bretheren?

not wanting to steal Maverike Prime's thunder re his conversion challenge, but having seen this thread

inspiration

and the mention of a 'dread off', i thought "why not?"

would anyone else be interested, as i build models at a prodigiously slow rate a squad would take ages, but a dreadnought, now we are talking... i am starting a small force for a DIY chapter - the World Burners, loyalist, Ork hunting, Pit Fighting ass kickers would sum them up - and the centrepoints for the force would be the captain and the dreadnought.

so - i have a boxed, unopened venerable dread and the desire to make a kick ass monster masher... does anyone else want to cobble together a dreadnought to see who's is best-est?

please consider this, i would say a WIP picture (model unpainted) would suffice, but as these things are heroes amongst thier peers, maybe a little background to the dread also...

these are very vague guidelines and can be adjusted/refined or discussed at length prior to entering if you wish... i'm saying this could run until the end of august.... i am really that slow

comments? criticism? anything?

thats the most relaxed dreadnought i have ever seen, that is awesome, and yes your topic has inspired me, lol

want to make sure my centrepiece models are the best they can be

so you could say i am using the B&C bretheren to show me ideas that i wouldn't normally think of

like a dreadnought leaning on a wall (looks like he should be enjoying a beer lol)

Well, I'm gonna be building my SW Dread soon, is there a deadline to this offing of dreads? :lol:

Also, i couldn't resist (though i probably could have put in better captions)

gallery_49580_4854_41718.jpg

Just out of curiosity, if a Dread wants to erm.. "Chilax" are you really gonna argue with him?

This is from a while back, and the pictures/paint job are truely horrendous to behold. I still have some pride in the conversion though. Looking back I'm tempting to get either an Ironclad or a Venerable and re-vamp the conversion with a better paintjob...

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu242/Tutteman/P4220025.jpg

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu242/Tutteman/P4220027.jpg

Right I'm in!

I think September 10th is good, got a lot going on in August. Build by then and then maybe painted by 4 weeks later?

Shall we say has to be mostly unassembled? As some people may start things and then leave them in a pile for a little while, not me of course all my projects are seen to completion . . . honest! ;)

Loyalist or chaos allowed.

Has to be based on a plastic kit, no scratchbuilt?

One WIP progress picture a week?

I like the idea of the back ground, would give them some flavour and well . . . er . . . background!? :wacko:

BII :nuke:

One question, I'm on holiday away from internet during part of August, so if I either complete by then, or get up ahead a bit would that be alright? And for reference, it's this or Maverik Prime's challenge. Can't do both, money. :P

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk194/Aggesbukkit/DSCN0949.jpg

I'd say that my poorly lit and quite crazed Chaos dread wouldn't mind a piece or two :)

Would it be alright to enter it? I finished it today...

Woo Hoo, I inspired something :D! Glad to see that something I've done has had a positive effect on other Brothers. I'll be pootling along with my build unless I can get all the bits I need sharpish. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and although I won't have mine painted anytime soon but with a little (read: a lot of) luck might just might be able to get an unpainted entry in.... just gotta fit it round painting some BA stuff for a commission.

James

Brothers i need help! My dread is gonna be posed in mid run with his fist back, torso twisted as if he is about to punch something, but i can't decide which leg should be of the ground! Should it be the leg below the fist, or the opposite one?

::EDIT:: Never mind, i watched some action movie fights etc and worked out it should be the leg on the same side as he is putting his weight behind it. I pity the fool on the receiving end of this punch

Brothers i need help! My dread is gonna be posed in mid run with his fist back, torso twisted as if he is about to punch something, but i can't decide which leg should be of the ground! Should it be the leg below the fist, or the opposite one?

below the fist if mid punch, but if you want it to look like he's just about to swing, opposite one (IMO).

when in doupt, look at kung fu! ;)

http://www.bestmartialarts.biz/jasonHit.jpg

also there is some good articles about the "Theory" behind a good punch. http://www.bestmartialarts.biz/

also there is some good articles about the "Theory" behind a good punch. http://www.bestmartialarts.biz/

That last pic before the ying yang thing (right at the bottom) is kinda what i'm going for, so i think i'll do the same side leg off the ground

::EDIT:: I just dry fitted the arm and realised this guy wont work ;) , if the arm is vertical then the fist is too far forward to look like a swing, so in stead i'm gonna have him either running or with his foot on a roc/enemy, haven't decided yet (lucky i never started the legs eh)

hey you guys!!!

got started on my dread last night, got the legs cut and glued, its harder when the dog keeps running of with bits i'll tell you...

at work today. but not tomorrow, so should get extra work done.... yay! i know what i want done before i post a pic, but with any luck, that'll be tomorrow

OK, you got me. I am developing a Techdread, have all the pieces but haven't really got started yet. (Apoc game next weekend). And I'll throw my hat into the ring.

i'm sure techmarine Harkus is a dreadnaught in The Chapters Due. and that he has the ability to repair armour still, which implies to me a subtlty in his weapons confiuration, will have to look at his description (or more accurately the description of his weapons) but a techdread is an interesting concept (as it seems i've said before :cuss )

just built

and the ones we've seen so far kick ass

there is no prize; i am looking at this as an opportunity for people who need motivation to do a dread (or who love dreads and have like 7 of them already :) ) to look at ideas that they may not have thought of; and ask like-minded individuals the questions most people would shrug at...

so i guess there is a prize, and it is one that this board offers in spades - opportunities and comradeship

(woah, getting all sentimental.... should really make a joke about now.....)

what up bretheren?!

still heavilly WIP, i give you Brother Varro, the Shadow Of Vengeance. executing some Ork scum

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/5812/002dxb.jpg

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/9403/004flu.jpg

what you guys and gals think?

comments? criticism? suggestions?

still to come - Kan arms/damage, battle damage, leg tubing, ornamentation (he is a walking tomb after all) and need to complete the base

Archived