ATSKNF - Combat Tactics

Liam101

Hi, this is probably a very silly couple of questions, but if somebody could clarify a couple of rules for me that would help me out a lot.

Firstly, can somebody tell me the advantage of failing a morale test? (Referring to Combat Tactics) and an example situation of when it would be a good idea to use the rule? Something to do with falling back in close combat or something like that?

ATSKNF - Space marines can automatically regroup after falling back? Would this be used in conjunction with Combat Tactics perhaps?

I really need to drum the morale test rules into my head as I imagine these rules are based off those criteria.

Again, apologies for the silly questions but as much clarification / explanation that can be given would be a huge help.

Thanks,

Liam

Here's a couple examples of when it's smart to auto-fail those Morale tests:

1. Failing due to shooting losses. Let's say the enemy has just maneuvered a melee-oriented unit to within charge range of your Marines. In the Shooting phase, he blasts enoughof your Marines to cause the Morale test based on 25% casualties. You auto-fail this Morale test, and fall back 2d6". You are now outside the 6" charge range of the melee unit, and are safe from close combat! That enemy melee unit is now hanging in the wind waiting for you to shoot it to pieces in your coming turn.

2. Failing due to close combat losses. You've just lost close combat, and are forced to take a Morale test with a negative modifier. You choose to auto-fail the Morale test, and flee the melee. If you succeed on the Initiative roll-off, you break away 2d6", and the opponent gets a d6" Consolidation move.

This is a smart option when you know your Marines may never kill their attackers in melee (a squad with no powerfist fighting a walker, for example). It should only be done in the opponent's turn, though. Otherwise, you fall back and just get shot and charged again. It is best employed against enemies with poor Initiative.

Yes, Marines automatically pass their tests to Regroup when falling back, UNLESS there's an enemy unit within 6" of them. If there is, they keep running. This makes the auto-fail from close combat risky, because if you don't get far enough away from the attacker, he can use his d6" consolidation move to chase you, and make you run again in your turn due to the 6" rule. That is the only reason Marines will keep running. You can regroup regardless of any of the other criteria for the tests. Even a single Marine can regroup and remain on the board, provided no enemies are within 6" of him at the beginning of your turn.

Thats actually helped me quite a lot.

I now understand the advantages of these rules, hopefully it will get me out of a few hairy situations with rampaging orks and other nasties like that ^_^

One final thing, in the rulebook it says a unit may regroup as long as it has left at least 50% of its original strength.

Now, from other armies points of view, does that mean any unit that is falling back that has less that 50% of its original strength just keeps falling back till it is off the board?

One final thing, in the rulebook it says a unit may regroup as long as it has left at least 50% of its original strength.

Now, from other armies points of view, does that mean any unit that is falling back that has less that 50% of its original strength just keeps falling back till it is off the board?

Yep. Once you fail a moral check below 50% and don't have ATSKNF (or something similar) you fall back until you disappear. I've lost several units with really expensive Chaos ICs attached that way.

Archived