[Commission] UM Venerable Dreads (and Sicarius)

winterdyne

My current commission is to do 2 Ultramarines Venerable Dreadnoughts (a chaplain and a support dread) and a Sicarius.

Anyway, the client has requested I go nuts (and I've quoted for a fair amount of time on these). The client is also OK with one of these being entered into GD before I hand them off.

Here's the support dread - very little conversion work - just a repose on the toes, drilling out, and new collets on the exhaust system at the back, mostly because I managed to saw through the existing ones. Also ended up sculpting a new section of chain under the banner - much to my surprise chain is actually very easy to sculpt.

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/commissions/ultramarines2/ven_dread_wip1.jpg

1) 'Cos the client asked me to.

2) It's white paper, glued with PVA on the back (makes it form to corners better) crumpled up a bit. Stained with Gryphonne Sepia. Text done with Mech. Red, Chaos Black / Scorched Brown mix. Holes poked with knife. Scorching with chaos black.

I hate to belittle the obvious greatness of the work you've done here, but I can't seem to draw my eye away from the parking lines you've painted onto the tarmac surface at the front of the base. It kinda looks like one of the oldest, most venerated killing machines in the Ultramarines chapter has just stepped onto the set of Eastenders to kill the Mitchell family.

Today's progress - the head airbrushed and finished by hand, the initial zenital coats (a few more than in my sternguard tutorial, and going to a lighter shade) on the blue. Started the extreme highlighting on the torso. Most likely a few days' work on that. Shouldn't take much more than a day or two for the metals, and then the freehand work begins... and yes, there will be a lot.

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/commissions/ultramarines2/ven_dread_wip6.jpg

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/commissions/ultramarines2/ven_dread_wip7.jpg

I have no ego! That said I'm aiming for a pin... reckon the dread'll turn out good enough but the base is letting it down - looks way better in photos than it really does. Probably will redo it and chop the slabs up more this time and use the airbrush on it rather than drybrushing up which is what I did this time...

It does look pretty light grey, once the details are painted it tones down quite a bit. Weathering will also knock it back a touch. We'll see how it goes!

The gold is metallic, going from scorched brown through to mithril silver, via VMC bronze and old gold.

It does look pretty light grey, once the details are painted it tones down quite a bit. Weathering will also knock it back a touch. We'll see how it goes!

The gold is metallic, going from scorched brown through to mithril silver, via VMC bronze and old gold.

cool man i cant wait to see it finished... have you built the other dread or sicarius yet?

I have no ego! That said I'm aiming for a pin... reckon the dread'll turn out good enough but the base is letting it down - looks way better in photos than it really does. Probably will redo it and chop the slabs up more this time and use the airbrush on it rather than drybrushing up which is what I did this time...

Looks awesome so far mate. The one thing I WILL say (and this is actually from the horses mouth down at GW HQ) Don't worry TOO much about the base. At the end of the day while the base gives a nice touch to the model, its actually the model itself that the guys at GD look at. I saw Ben Jarvis' Clockmaker model, and was told that the guys didn't take the base into account at all, just the painted model on the base....

Edemia

Looks good, but if I may... the blue is too light for Ultramarines. To my eyes, this looks like a Space Wolf dread, the only reason I know it's Ultra is because of the chapter symbol. Still, looking great. I look forward to your Sicarius!

In previous editions the Ultramarines were a bright blue, now they're a lot darker than they used to be.

But also, as he weathers the model it will darken.

I'm also having a lot of fun trying to get the balance right in photoshop - the red and blue are hard to balance, one or the other keeps getting oversaturated.

The model in the flesh is quite a light blue (around about UM blue - lighter highlights, darker shade) and it's done zenital, which means the top surfaces are a lot lighter, which I hope is what's throwing the eye at the moment. The freehand is also going to be in white which will force the blue back in the contrast range.

Progress; not entirely happy with the freehand - think perhaps the U should have been on both sides. Still needs chipping / scratches like on the scrollwork above the helmet.

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/commissions/ultramarines2/ven_dread_wip10.jpg

Its looking great! Those purity seals will certainly be important to make contrast :P

Freehand Omega/Laurel does look a bit odd, but not bad. However, I don't like the outer lines: maybe do to the angle of the pic, but they don't seem straight at all :P The idea is good though!

Whilst I understand you are striving for perfection given your intentions for this model, you should bare in mind: that which you are unhappy with is still something I and many others could not equal or indeed hope to come close to. I wish you the best of luck with this model good Sir, and I look forward to your continuing updates - be you happy with them, or not :P

- Turel.

Archived