Large Scale Chaplain Helm

A short time ago I became the proud owner of a Forge World Showcase Marine helmet. Now I'm the first to admit that I'm not very skilled with Green Stuff, but inspired by work that had already been done I decided to try something anyway . My first idea didn't work very well, but after some thought, I got the greenstuff and my sculpting tool out and this is what I came up with:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/SkullHelmcollage1.jpg

and this is what it looks like with some paint on it:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/ChaplainHelmcollage3.jpg

He's not quite finished yet though. I need to highlight up all the black areas and the metallics as well but thought I'd share some pictures with you just now to see what people think.

Sadly I don't have a FW Showcase Marine to put it on so I'm going to come up with a suitable display base to mount it on. I'm thinking a plinth or something as if the helmet was sitting unworn in the Chaplain's quarters....

cheers

James

Very nice!

Sadly the only C&C I can offer is that I wish you had worked the brow area more to make it look a little more skull'esq - aside from that it's a wonderful conversion AND paint job I especially like how you used the highlighting method that is typically reserved for horns! Keep it up =D

I notice on the helmet's right side there is a brown line in between the eyes. It's missing on the other side. I would say paint another brown line, or paint over the original in bone. Right now, it looks as if the eyes are off center. Other than that, it looks awesome!

Thanks for the comments guys. Quick update, the helmet is now pretty much finished:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/ChaplainHelmcollage4.jpg

(the colour difference is because these photos were taken inside under my kitchen light)

Inspired by a comment by Lestat in the IBH thread I've had a couple of ideas for a base for the helmet, but it may take a while to develop them. They mainly involve a weighty tome, possibly a bolt pistol and maybe a rosarius.

@ Darth Potato: thanks for pointing out that missing shadow, I fixed it now :huh:

cheers

James

These pics are better than the ones in the IBH thread. This is one great looking helmet. The GS work is spot on - unless you've seen the WIP pics, you wouldn't know that it is a conversion.

Glad to have been of some inspirational service too! Whatever you decide to do, it deserves to be mounted on something and displayed.

looking great man, very very cool, looks more chaplain-y than the original for sure! Sadly i didnt have the guts to go too nuts on the helm for the FW chappy but seeing this just might give me a bit of a push to build another one! :P

It certainly does look like its turned off at the moment, and should the chaplain put it on i can imagine the red eyes blaze to life, really nice touch ^_^

Looks great mate! Although, I did notice just one thing... the mouth piece seems slightly off a bit, leaning stage-right and just off line. But maybe that's just me.

Looks amazing with paint on it, I assume Eagles and Scriptures will come soon?

Archived