Backpack conversion

Cynyr

So yeah. Since I'm converting my Space Marines to Chaos, I'm chopping up all their backpacks and fixing them. They can't ALL have stolen gear.

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx21/Faskinated/packs.jpg

Top left was my first attempt and is supposed to be like a human spine sort of thing.

Top right was second attempt. Five internets to the person who identifies the white bits.

Bottom left is my favorite so far. I got the size about right on that one and it just looks neat.

Bottom right will look similar to standard chaos packs.

I've worked with green stuff before, but never where it actually needed detail and precision.

Any tips and pointers for working with it and getting it to look good are appreciated. I only have so many spare backpacks.

I also want more ideas for what to theme the green stuff into. Shapes, objects, whatever. I want to have as many different designs as possible

But they're gonna be Alpha Legion, so insane mutations I'd like to avoid. Unless it's totally awesome. Then I'll do it anyway.

If you want more of a spine-look with gs I'd suggest using a rolled-up sausage shape as a base and simply depress the putty at regular intervals on the part (of the backpack in this case) you want spined. You can vary the shape of the spines by how much you depress the putty and how large areas you leave untouched. If you want to get even more creative and have some kind of texturing on the spines, I'd advise you to wait for about 20-40 minutes or so until the putty has set a bit after finishing the spines so it doesn't bend out of shape as easily and very very carefully use your tool of choice to make a texture or pattern in the gs. I've found that it's easier than getting it perfectly smooth.

The bottom left is the best one yet, the others look like they have their exhausts extended slightly too much. It does look like its exhausts needs to get a wee bit thinner and look more symmetrical, but that's not really something that can't be hidden with a decent paint job later.

Also, don't forget that if you're not happy with your gs work it's quite easy to tear off and try again ;)

Keep up the good work :P

Archived