Tomevans' Dark Angels

Tomevans

Hello everybody, here are a few pictures of some of my Dark Angels. I have selected a few pictures from my thread in the DA forum so a wider audience can c and c them, so please make any comments you feel are needed, no matter how harsh they may be :whistling: I will continue to put up pictures of mini's in both threads, but if you want to see more head over to the DA forum where most of my mini's will be posted. Hope you all enjoy.

Belial

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/7191/139m.jpg

Assault Marine

http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/5010/002oi.jpg

AoBR Terminator

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/8837/020nu.jpg

I love the base on the AoBR terminator. It looks like you haven't deliberately based it, it's just the run-off from the washes but the result is a beautifully blended marbled stone effect!

I never really considered that, but I have had a closer look at the base and it does look like marble from some directions. :P However, I will eventually base him with my normal, sand, static grass and snow flock base to tie in with the rest of my marines. If you want I will do a how to turn wash run off into effective basing tutorial. ;)

A very nice conversion of Belial, and the paintjob is marvellous! ;)

On your dreadnought, the paint looks a bit thick though. On the armour plates and on the red details you applied too much paint, and some of the detail has gone already.

The choice of colour is nice, as well as the paintjob as a whole, but I´d recommend to thin your paints, especially when painting from black to bleached bone.

Snorri

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for all the feedback, you are right about the Dreadnought SnorriSnorrison, I am trying to fix it as we speak.

Here is a picture of my brand new Mk III Forgeworld armour varient. The models really are brilliant, I would fully recommend picking some up if you have a 1sr 2nd or 3rd founding chapter, they look fantastic. A few more pics are up in the DA forum, but the moment I hope you enjoy this guy.

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/430/002dd.jpg

Thanks Con, it was really easy to paint too, just draw a few guidlines in with a soft pencil and then paint away. Easy peasy but gives a great looking effect.

Here is the completed squad of Assault Marines. All iconography is hand painted. I hope you all enjoy.

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/3910/007ou.jpg

Once again, a few more pics of these are up in the DA forum. It is a pain to post all the pictures in 2 threads :)

Great stuff Tovemas.

I like your choice of green. They look resplendant in their armour and your highlighting style is nice if subtle. The assault squad are nice and uniform. All i'd say is shame such a lack of robes :) :lol:

Great stuff!

Loving your MK III too - Wernt they black though at this stage? Forgive my fluff-fu if wrong. The red eyes glow looks awesome!

Lovely work all around, very crisp and clean. Very impressive freehand as well. My one issue is that the Forgeworld model just looks so plain with all that empty space on his chest, it just screams out for embellishment :D . Then again I am not sure how prone the DA are to such things, it could just be the Templar in me saying no inch should be left un-scriptured :P . It probably wont be noticeable once he's got a bolter in hand, anyway.

@ellis_esquire: Yes you are right, Pre Heresy Dark Angels were black, but Calibanite marines were allowed to paint their shoulder pad green to reflect the forests of their homeworld and the switch to pure green came soon after the end of the Horus Heresy so I assume that these suits have been given a fresh paint job. Thanks for the eye glow praise, I was wondering if anyone would notice them :P The eyes on the Mk III are recessed quite deeply so it is difficult to paint them as accurately as you would the plastic power armour so I thought it would be a good excuse to give eye glow a little try to see if it looked good and I think I will do it on the remainder of the Mk III marines. Do you think this subtle method is fine or do you think more highlighting is needed?

@Firepower: Thank you for the praise, the model does look better with the bolter slotted in but I might try and freehand an Imperial eagle or winged sword on the chest to see how it looks. The model is varnished so if it goes wrong it would be easy to remove without stripping off any of the paintjob.

Thanks Con, it was really easy to paint too, just draw a few guidlines in with a soft pencil and then paint away. Easy peasy but gives a great looking effect.

Hmm... I normally use micro pens for that kind of thing, but have to seal the ink before painting to eliminate ink smear.

If soft pencil doesn't smear like that, you might have given me a new technique.

BTW: There might be a difference between US and UK terminology here. By "soft pencil" do you mean black pencil with a larger clay component (thus hardness less than US school standard #2), or do you mean colored pencils (which are generally softer because of the addition of pigment but aren't as soft as high clay pencils like those used for cloth or rubber stamp pattern making)?

My thinking of soft pencil is one where the lead is alot softer so with a larger clay contentas it is easier to write on models without damaging the paint. Harder pencil tend to just scratch the top layer of paint instead of leaving a clear line, so potentially damaging the surrounding paint job. You have to be a little more careful with soft pencil as it can smear a tiny bit but it is alot easier than micro pens for the reason you stated, you dont have to bother sealing the mini before painting.

Hey all, here are my first 2 completed MK III marines. I have decided to sprinkle these throughout my Tac squads as special weapons don't fit well on the majority of models, although the Plasma weapon fitted fine after the butt was cut off on this guy, so the rest will be Bolter armed. Hope you all enjoy and as always, more pics up in the DA forum.

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/9415/001uqj.jpg

Archived