A Special Home Made Character

Hello fellow Chaos lovers. I am in the process of creating a Chaod Marine led Imperial "Traitor" force. This means I want an HQ of sorts to lead the army. I have created Asroen, Junior Apothecary of the Void Angels Fifth Company(The company went Traitor back about 270 years ago)

Just quick fluff(As the rest will be posted with him in his battle blog)

He was the youngest member of the 5th company of the Void Angels when they turned traitor. He willingly followed his Captain and has since found himself working outside the Astartes to "purify" those who still follow the Emperor. He now has a motley collection of Milita, Honour Guard(Basically humans who have been given the honour of his tinkering. They have a year life span[or less] but all willing seek to gain the favour) and most importantly "The Purified". These are local forces that are indoctrinated to the service of Slaanesh by having all emotions and control removed through a series of gene splicing.

While out and about he basically does everything in his power to become the authority on genetics and will sacrifice everyone to see his work complete. He however has run to the end of his study and no feels the need to expand. This is where my games take shape in a story based on game results blog told as battle reports and his own first hand thoughts.

The reason I am posting this is I want your thoughts on his rules. My friends and I are very open to created rules but would like to try and make a character who people will read about and enjoy instead of just going "well of course he won, he is OP" So here is Asroen.

Does not take up any FOC slot. He may be used in a Chaos Space Marine army or an Imperial Guard army.

Points 155

WS 6

BS 4

S 4

T 4

Wo 2

I 6/7

A 3

Ld 10

Save 3+/5+

Equipment:

Power Weapon

Frag Grenades

Krak Grenades

The Purifier - This weapon was once his chief tool in the aid of his brothers as an Apothecary. Now however, it is a weapon mixed with the worst chemicals Asroen has at his disposal. When injected into the enemy it can numb a man instantly and leave his brain rotting in minutes.

In combat Asroen may make a single Strength 2 attack at Initiative 1 against one model in base contact with him . Saves may be taken as normal. Should a model with more than 1 wound suffer a wound from The Purifier it causes Instant Death.

Anointed Armour - Layered with hundreds of needles throughout the suit this Armour keeps Asroens blood coursing with his tonics of strength and regeneration.

Asroen has the Universal Special Rules Feel No Pain(Or Regeneration on a 5+, thoughts?) and Furious Charge.

Special Rules

Fearless

Independent Character

Warp Conduit - Although he himself posses no warp powers, Slaanesh favours this bold warrior. In combat Slaaneshs minions appear to aid and protect Asroen from all who oppose him.

When taken in an Imperial Guard army Asroen may purchase a squad of Lesser Daemons(See Codex: Chaos Space Marines) for the cost listed there and for no FOC slot. This unit is deployed as Asroen is equipped with a Personal Icon(See Codex: Chaos Space Marines)and may only Deep Strike if Asroen is alive and on the table. If Asroen is dead(or off table) when the Daemon reserves become available they are considered killed for all game purposes.

Thought on rules or point cost? Thank you.

The Purifier seems like a fairly weak option; a single Strength 2 attack that allows normal saves has horrible odds of succeeding. I would bump it up to a single standard attack with his power weapon; most multi-wound opponents will still have high toughness or an invulnerable save.

The Anointed Armor should be FnP, not regeneration; USRs are always better to use. Furious charge is also fine, but I would drop his base initiative down; a Marine that can go up to Initiative 7 just seems a bit high.

Finally, at least give the guy a bolt pistol.

Overall, he looks like a good character. If anything, he might be a touch underpowered; the Chaos codex has a couple characters at close point costs that seem to be a bit stronger than him.

He looks pretty cool as is - though I would suggest that he MUST be attached to a squad.

Love the rules that give him a little something that isn't game breaking :rolleyes: I'd do the regen on a 5+, and maybe confer it to any one multiwound character in his squad (they have to hire him for some reason, right?). The warp conduit removed since it kinda seems out of place with an apothecary.

I7 is carzy balls - infact I'd drop him to 4(5) just like the SM minor characters, and it would enhance the idea of him being a buff character instead of a minor beatstick. If you really want to be bold, drop the power weapon in favour of a CCW, and up the strength of his insta-killer.

I dig this guy. I do I do I do :cuss

Seconding everything said about I7, which is crazy for a marine IC and for the most part needless. Basically it would only help against things that should always be faster than a marine anyways(eldar, DE, some nids). He should by no means be faster than a 10k year old chaos lord who is only I5 or I6. I personally think he should at most be I5 base, equivalent to most marine captains.

I think you should clarify if the purifier special attack is an extra seperate attack(such as servo arm attacks) or if you need to chose it instead. If you can chose it instead it should be S5 or so honestly. This would be useful if it was worded so it was an additional attack. It would be cool if you could target models in base contact specifically with it, but hardly essential since most multiwound models are ICs anyways.

Since he's an apothecary should he grant the unit he's assigned to FnP? Might give it a thought.

I really like the idea of an apoth special character(that's not fabius bile...).

Archived