Diffcult terrian movement

jbdevega

tonight while playing a game i was told you dont roll for moving through difficult terrian, only if you move in or out. is this really doesnt make any sense to me but they swore up and down that in 5th ed its only if your moving in or out.

tonight while playing a game i was told you dont roll for moving through difficult terrian, only if you move in or out.

Models are affected by difficult terrain anytime they either start in it and wish to move, or when they wish to enter it as part of their move. So, yeah, if a model starts outside a piece of terrain, and wants to get to the other side of that terrain, it does not have to make a difficult terrain test if it just moves around the piece of terrain. If, however, the model wants to move through the piece of terrain, it would have to test for difficult terrain. Moving through a piece of terrain involves both entering it and then subsequently leaving it (unless some weird space-time paradoxes are at work and reality and logic do not apply). Watch "Sesame Street", Grover can tell you all about it.

A Jump pack assault unit, starts in difficult terrain and wants to move away out of the terrain... does it have to check? If so, how many dice does it roll?

When entering/moving, I've always used the 1s rule (just like deep striking).

"When using Jump packs, they can move over all other models and all terrain freely. However, if a moving jump infantry model begins or ends its move in difficult terrain, it must make a dangerous terrain test."

5th Edition Rulebook, page 52, "Jump Infantry" --> "Movement"

A Jump pack assault unit, starts in difficult terrain and wants to move away out of the terrain... does it have to check? If so, how many dice does it roll?

When entering/moving, I've always used the 1s rule (just like deep striking).

yes they have to check. Though as already stated they make a dangerous terain check, not a difficult one. They roll one die for each model that goes into or out of difficult terain. This is a by model process so you must identify which model is being rolled for and roll each one individualy. Most folks will let you batch roll identical models, though this is technicaly incorrect and can mitgate coherency issues that individual rolling can cause, it is much more expediant.

Aditionaly jump infintry can at any time decide to move as normal infantry, forgoeing their 12 inch jump move for the standard 6 inch walk (which in this case would require a difficult terain test, but not a dangerous one). also running and assaulting are always done as standard infantry (thus taking difficult terain tests were aplicable)

Archived