Rhino walls?

little brother

I have been using my landraider (with extra armour) to provide cover for 2 rhinos as they advance. The LR has Ragnar with a tooled up wolfguard squad and the rhinos have a squad each of greyhunters. The plan was to assault with Ragnar's squad as the 2 greyhunter squads provide close fire support, weakening Ragnar's target or any nearby counterassault units. Then in the next turn the greyhunters will assault as well.

The problem is my LR keeps getting hammered repeatedly until it is immobilised and the whole thing is stalled for a turn.

Should I use the rhinos to screen the LR for the first turn? If they get destroyed the greyhunters can footslog and run to keep up. Anyone do it regularly, or seen it done, particularly in a tournament?

Buy a Vindicator to take the heat off your Land Raider.

Or two Vindicators, something I've had great fun with before. It may also be best utilising cover in your first turn and smoke when you move.

Buy a Vindicator to take the heat off your Land Raider.

Or two Vindicators, something I've had great fun with before. It may also be best utilising cover in your first turn and smoke when you move.

It's true, why buy one when you can have two for twice the price?

Thanks guys, but I don't have a vindicator or intend to get any in the near future. Back to the original question, is it effective to try to shield a LR behind a rhino or 2? Anyone done it or seen it done especially in a tournament?

I have used a sponsonless Lascannon Predator in front of my Land Raider before to give it cover, and it has worked pretty well. The issue with using a Rhino as a shield is that due to the thin armor, it is easy to destroy the Rhino, leaving your Land Raider open. However, using a Predator has worked for me (because of the thicker front armor, as well as the extra cover provided by the turret), and I think that it is an effective trick, whether done with a Predator or a Rhino.

It's true, why buy one when you can have two for twice the price?

Pfaw! Why buy 2 when you can have 3 for only 50% more!?

Seriously, though, it depends what's in the raider, and who your opponent is. Against horde ork, I'll screen my rhinos with my raider because they'll struggle to take it down outside of assault, and the flamers in my tactical squads are more important than my assault terminators. If my assault terminators have an obvious target that I really need to take out, I'll screen my raider with my rhinos.

Turn 1 though you don't need to screen at all because of smoke. Worry about screening the turn after, and tbh if your raider survives turn 1, it's probably in a position to do its job on turn 2.

While the two Rhinos might give the Land Raider a cover save, you have to look at what happens to the Raider when the Rhinos are destroyed/wrecked/immobilized/stunned.

If those two Rhinos stop moving for any reason, you've just created an obstacle for the Land Raider's advance. You either have a stunned Rhino in the way that you have to drive around, or a wreck/crater to drive over, risking the immobilization of the Raider itself. You may not even be able to move the Raider at all, depending on the placement of any Grey Hunters that spilled out of that wrecked/exploded Rhino. If they're pinned, you have to drive around them!

By what method are your opponents destroying your Land Raider? Fast-moving melta? Lances? Ordnance shots? Lucky lascannons?

In my last three tournament days (9 games, probably 6 involved marines or wolves), I've never seen anyone use a 3-vehicle spearhead formation to lead their assault. Every once in a while I see people describe it in their tactics. Overall, you can't think of one vehicle per se being more important to keep than the other. The only thing that is important is the individual mission of each unit and vehicle. Especially now that cheap melta is everywhere and cheap lance coming to the fore, landraiders are more difficult to justify as assault vehicles leading a spearhead. Speed and cover is your best friend. If you are intent on a spearhead advance to reach some point in the enemy line, might as well go landraider first. Your best bet though is everyone together, nearly abreast, spaced to create protection and disembark/assault lanes for your troops. Overall, your tactic has to be specific to what your mission is. If you really need to deliver a unit with a raider, better just go ahead and have 2 raiders...

Archived