Immobilized Land Speeder and Nose Weapons

Blindman6

A question came up yesterday when my friends and I were playing: if a land speeder (or similar craft) that has weapons mounted on the nose (under the hull) is immobilized, can that nose weapon continue to fire as normal? Will it be allowed to rotate fully at targets, even though by placing a land speeder with the nose weapon on the table, part of the land speeder itself (the rear) will now touch the table and block line of sight? Can it still fire at targets that it could have instantly before being immobilized (ie a land speeder is in front of a bush, and then crashes, with the bush now blocking the barrel of the nose mounted weapon)?

Just want to see how others would handle this, because getting an immobilized on a skimmer with weapons could give the attacker an effective double damage: immobilized, and weapon destroyed on all nose mounted weapons!

the weapon is hull mounted not turret mounted which means limited arc of fire. Only turret mounted weapons (and those on a cupola) ahve 360 LOS.

In this case the bush would prevent the weapon from firing as it is blocking LOS to the target.

Otherwise i thinks its a 90 arc for LOS so it would only be things in that front arc that could be shot.

The weapon functions as normal.

The speeder can no longer rotate on the spot, but can fire in the normal 45(?) degree arc as normal.

(though if you have your underslung weapon mounted on a turret, I suppose it is possible to rotate the turret)

You don't have to place the skimmer directly on the table. Indicating that it has become immobilized is enough.

(i.e. if you have glued the skimmer to its base)'

LOS applies as normal to the nose weapon, if you place the skimmer on the table.

Thus it will be difficult to shoot over things, as the weapon is on the ground.

• 3 weeks later...
Doesn't the BRB indicate, that Immobilized for skimmers could also mean that the skimmer just hovers but cannot move anymore? Or was that just an optional rule that has to be clarified? Obviously it would be quite different if the skimmer lands on the ground or stays in the air concerning LOS ... Is there a common understanding on this?

when a skimmer is immobilized it is removed from its flying stand and placed on the table top. This represents the anti-grav plates (or such like) shorting out and the skimmer dropping to the ground.

According to the BRB if the skimmer is glued to the stand then it is permissable to simply treat it as being devoid of any way of manouvering itself, but it will stay floating above the ground.

So it depends, I don't glue them to the stands as they always broke when ever i did, so its not an arise for me.

+edit+ stupid keyboard keeps missing letters out

Well, mine are the 2nd ed metal ones, and their underslung weapons (MM's of course) are pivotable. And they're glued to their stands, so I guess I'm one of those lucky oiks who doesnt mind too much when my speeder gest immobilised.

So depending on the game, terrain and enemy it could even be potentially useful to glue the stands on after arriving at the gaming table and remove them again later (just use some glue which holds rather well but not too strong).

Oh well, I think I would try to discuss this beforehand with my opponent and make a decision on how to see that. I don't really like it when a simple modelling difference can be such a big advantage or disadvantage ... :lol:

So depending on the game, terrain and enemy it could even be potentially useful to glue the stands on after arriving at the gaming table and remove them again later (just use some glue which holds rather well but not too strong).

Oh well, I think I would try to discuss this beforehand with my opponent and make a decision on how to see that. I don't really like it when a simple modelling difference can be such a big advantage or disadvantage ... :)

Modelling for advantage, while not specificly against the rules, is mentioned in the rules as being poor sportsmanship and generaly frowned upon. While its true there is a lot of "legal" model changes that can be done for pure advantage, for example modeling all vehicles weapons onto turrets, modeling jet pack models as very small/short thus making it easy to use the assault move to get out of LOS, the whole cano of worms with drop pod doors, etc, I dont think you should. Idealy you would have the modeling aspect completely independent of the gaming aspect of 40k.

Yeah, I wouldn't do that either because. The Drop Pod doors, oh well, let's not get started on that one :lol: I usually model my stuff very close to the way it is by default so I do avoid most of these problems, luckily. And I only play friendly games, so not much discussion anyway.

Archived