DWA vs. DPA

Red_Lep

My local hobby store regularly runs Apocolypse games and I thought of something that would be fun(even if not very effective). Since I'm collecting the entire Deathwing, could I load up several Dreadnoughts in Lucius Pattern Drop Pods, Drop Pod Assult them first, then Deathwing Assault my terminators on the locator beacons? They both say "at the beginning of the first turn" so I just need to know if I get to choose the order. I ask because I think it'd be fun to see the reactions to a couple of Dreadnoughts DPA in, then 10 Terminator sqauds suddenly appearing.

NOTE: Before someone says "Yeah, but who owns 20 squads of Terminators?" I'm over halfway there(mostly second hand and AoBR)

As I am also of the Apoc persuasion. I'll agree the DPA with DWA can be awesome.

Now the RAW does state that the beacon needs to be on the board at the beginning of the tuns, so IMO it wont work. I will be using the trusty Damocles Command Rhino to fix this on turn one. On follow on turns then the pre-landed LDP will be extremely useful. Don't forget RW bikes.

BTW, I"ll be fielding 160+ TDA, 20 Ven Dreads w/12 LDP's, seven assorted LR's, 2.5 RW Attack Sqds w/ 1 Support Sqd, some ]I[, and a Reaver next weekend, vs. Orks...

20 Squads :pirate: I've 30.

As I am also of the Apoc persuasion. I'll agree the DPA with DWA can be awesome.

Now the RAW does state that the beacon needs to be on the board at the beginning of the tuns, so IMO it wont work. I will be using the trusty Damocles Command Rhino to fix this on turn one. On follow on turns then the pre-landed LDP will be extremely useful. Don't forget RW bikes.

BTW, I"ll be fielding 160+ TDA, 20 Ven Dreads w/12 LDP's, seven assorted LR's, 2.5 RW Attack Sqds w/ 1 Support Sqd, some ]I[, and a Reaver next weekend, vs. Orks...

20 Squads :cuss I've 30.

I'm trying to think of something witty to respond...but 30 Squads, you're my freakin' hero!

Deathwing only has about 100 termies in the company. So 30 sqauds makes 150 which is a couple too many I'm pretty sure. I suppose I could be wrong but that was always my reading. But hey that's still makes for a pretty awesome collection so its cool with me. :cuss

Sadly, the teleport homers just wont work- they have to have been on the board for a full turn.

What you COULD do is use the apocalypse reserve rules- send all your dreads in their pods down turn 1, and use their beacons to bring your DW down flawlessly turn 2, by using the strategic planning asset to move up your reserves a turn.

What you COULD do is use the apocalypse reserve rules- send all your dreads in their pods down turn 1, and use their beacons to bring your DW down flawlessly turn 2, by using the strategic planning asset to move up your reserves a turn.

I am pretty sure that Deathwing Assault would override the Apoc Reserves rules. However, your idea would work for the subsequent waves of Termies.

I am pretty sure that Deathwing Assault would override the Apoc Reserves rules. However, your idea would work for the subsequent waves of Termies.

DW assault is entirely optional- just dont use it. Bring in Dreads in equal numbers, rounding down with perhaps Ravenwing reservists to round out any numbers you need- turbo-boost in from your table edges, get that nice cover save, and move right into their teeth.

Archived