Salamanders tactical squads

Obliterator

These are the first squads of one of my new projects I'm working on. I figured I'd share them for some C&C. Do keep in mind that I am not going for display quality, my aim is to get a nice-looking force on the table fast(ish :cuss ). Please forgive my lousy photographing skills, if people are interested I'll post new pictures, maybe get some individual marines to parade around ;)

gallery_10716_621_153308.jpg

gallery_10716_621_45368.jpg

I really like them. Especially how the grey base off-sets the colour, it's a nice touch.

They're a bit darker than Salamanders are "supposed" to be, but then my way of painting my own comes out darker too. Seeing a darker scheme on a squad-wide shot has convinced me that it'll still look good and recognisable. So thanks for the inspiration!

I second the asking of how you painted the flames - it's some nice colour transition you've got going there. But can I be cheeky and also ask how you've done the eyes? Mine always look very flat, and yours are quite excellent.

Thanks for all the positive feedback :D

I managed to take some slightly better shots, so here goes:

gallery_10716_621_104089.jpggallery_10716_621_97331.jpggallery_10716_621_58769.jpggallery_10716_621_33788.jpggallery_10716_621_31383.jpggallery_10716_621_51667.jpg

The flame recipe is very simple actually, I just painted the flames on in the darkest red GW had to offer, and worked my way through the oranges and yellows up to pure white, always leaving a bit of the previous color show on the edges, so the colors used are (in order of application):

- Scab Red

- Red Gore

- Blood Red

- Blazing Orange

- Fiery Orange

- Golden Yellow

- Sunburst Yellow

- Bad Moon Yellow

- Skull White

Although I only use a VERY small bit of Skull White, it's what really defines the 'hotness' of the flames. I only applied these flame patterns on a black background, as it doesn't look quite as good on a green background.

The eye lenses were painted Snakebite Leather, and the front eye corners were picked out with Golden Yellow, and then they finally received an extreme highlight of Bad Moon Yellow. After that, I applied a wash of Gryphonne Sepia to blend it all together, pulling the wash towards the darker part of the lens. Once the wash was dry, I dotted the darkest corner with pure Skull White.

They're a bit darker than Salamanders are "supposed" to be

Yeah, that's true. Although I started with the 'standard' Snot Green with Scorpion Green highlights, I didn't like how flat (drab?) the colors were looking, so I washed the entire armour with some Thraka Green wash, which results in a darker, but a more vivid green IMHO. And darker armour makes the flames pop out so much more, so it's really a win-win :)

Late edit:

Very nice - what's you green recipe? I fancy that for some dark angels!

The basecoat was Snot Green. the deepest recesses were darklined with a 50/50 mix of Dark Angels Green and Snot Green, thinned down with about the same amount of water to make it like a paint wash.

Highlights were (from dark to bright):

- 2/3 Snot Green, 1/3 Scorpion Green

- 50/50 Snot Green/Scorpion Green

- 1/3 Snot Green, 2/3 Scorpion Green

After that, I washed the entire armour with Thraka Green wash, and once that has dried I painted on some extreme highlights with a mix of 2/3 Scorpion Green and 1/3 Bad Moon Yellow.

Archived