using different bases per a 'count as" model

fivepointedstar

My thoughts are I'm making a dragon rider model with the lizardman carnosuar model. It is bigger than the dreadnought 40k model base. Is it legal to use in a tourny?' If the model overlapes the base, and or the base is larger than round 40mm can larger bases be used?

Im assuming homegrown rules it would be ok. But legally would a large monster base work?

What is it supposed to be representing? That's the real question. If it's supposed to be a counts-as dreadnought, put it on the dreadnought base. Besides, it more than easily fits on it. Where would we be if models could only take up a horizontal piece of air as wide as their base? Wraithlords, daemon(s) princes, and anything else that big would be doing the stick figure dance, looking like bean poles. We got away from the 2nd edition wraithlord model-style for a reason! Dynamic modeling is the name of the game.

Just place it so that it works the best for gaming, as well as being aesthetically pleasing. That way you're happy and your opponents are happy.

As far as tournaments are concerned, the best way to find that out is by showing the organizer a picture of it well in advance before the day. It's up to them to allow or disallow such models.

What is it supposed to be representing? That's the real question. If it's supposed to be a counts-as dreadnought, put it on the dreadnought base. Besides, it more than easily fits on it. Where would we be if models could only take up a horizontal piece of air as wide as their base? Wraithlords, daemon(s) princes, and anything else that big would be doing the stick figure dance, looking like bean poles. We got away from the 2nd edition wraithlord model-style for a reason! Dynamic modeling is the name of the game.

Just place it so that it works the best for gaming, as well as being aesthetically pleasing. That way you're happy and your opponents are happy.

As far as tournaments are concerned, the best way to find that out is by showing the organizer a picture of it well in advance before the day. It's up to them to allow or disallow such models.

I would be using a carnosuar model, and last time i looked it was bigger, and longer than the dread base.

I agree with Seahawk. Personally I can't see it being allowed in a tourney as it is so different in both size and look.

As it is bigger (???) it should be easier to get LoS on it and the base is used for distance anyway so the fact it over-laps shouldn't be an issue... no the two issues I see are weapon representation... not so bad if it is a CC dread... and also armour facings... which might or might not be easy to tell depending on the position it is in... AKA face = front... butt = rear (see what I did thar?) and sides = side... I think you might be ok but I would check with the tourny organiser... it is better to be safe than sorry... also all your dreads are carnosaurs right... not one of each? because that might also cause you issues.

I would be using a carnosuar model, and last time i looked it was bigger, and longer than the dread base.
Well yea the carnosaur model, but what will it be counting as? A dreadnought? Bike? Landspeeder? That's what determines what base it should go on, to match with other units in the game. As for its length, its head and arms stick out yes, but its feet are together. Plus, it's based on a 50mm square base in the GW pic, so that should give you an idea as to how it will look on a 50mm round. It'll fit just fine, methinks.

what other dinosuars/ dragon from WH fantasy are there to use? and how would i convert to WH 40k?

so far i've got

cold ones- bikers

carnosuars- dreads

stegadons- preds

wings- jp

what else?

High-elf dragon = Landspeeder? it already has a flamer :down:

Archived