"Counts-as" and Iron Warriors

Xeonic

Right so I'm looking for feedback for a couple of ideas that I had for my Iron Warriors army, to gauge how readily accepted this would be... I already use some interesting funky "counts-as", mainly servo arms on my aspiring champions counting as their powerfists, however, I was contemplating the new daemon prince kit and it came to me that I needed a prince anyways, and I'd just read the LE iron warrior novel so...

I'm thinking kitbash with the new loyalist venerable dread kit. Ven dread body and legs, daemon prince wings, head and arms(with dread remnant armor of course). Would this cause any issues if you were my opponent to say that this dreadnought was a daemon prince? It would be obvious that it was possessed.

The second idea I had was to use the new MKIII armor kit from FW along with some bionics and a command squad box to represent a "command squad" of plague marines, the increased toughness representing bionics and feel no pain representing...feel no pain as generated by an apothecary. Squad layout would be 5x plague marines, plague champion with power weapon(company champion...), 2x meltagun. Spare wounds would represent an apothecary and company standard. Basically on the table it would be plague marines with a PW and meltagun, to represent the equivalent of a loyalist command squad.

Should I be concerned about such things needing opponents permission assuming I'd be explaining all this ahead of time anyways?

I want to do fun and interesting things with my army, but I also don't want to worry about losing potential opponents over it.

Should I be concerned about such things needing opponents permission assuming I'd be explaining all this ahead of time anyways?

nope with the rules we have now , you point say "plaguemarines" and it is legal , if he dares to ask why not green[probably a fluff player] you say counts as and it is done from the legal point of view.

from gaming point of view. dont give a power weapon to a model with I3 give him a fist.

Eew, I3, righto, fist it is. ;) Never fielded any cult troops before so I was going from(apparently faulty!) memory there.

Right. They're slow...because MK3 armor restricts movement. That's even fluffy. :HQ:

My IW are very much still in the assembly phase, but that hasn't stopped me from playing with them, they just are pewter and grey warriors instead of iron ones. Also they're using a lot of stolen ultramarines rhinos... ;)

Will throw up some pics once this goes beyond the planning phase... I'd been using a havoc squad with 3x-4x melta to go with my IW captain(chaos lord), but overall I feel the "command squad" is both fluffy and more interesting on the table.

Aside from interesting they're scoring. And feel no pain, and T4(5), with defensive grenades. Dispite all that it's not really powergamey, right? ;)

I've been wanting the MK3 set since FW announced it and I think the feel of the armor will go very well with iron warriors.

Actually the idea was partially inspired by the picture on the FW store page with the company champion sword and shield on MK3 armor.

As a totally random aside what's your opinion on using a thunder hammer to "counts-as" a fist? Chaos doesn't even get thunder hammers so I don't think it will be an issue, but anyways...

Dispite all that it's not really powergamey, right? :HQ:

Not if you're still fielding chaos marines these days it's not ;) I also love that Mark III FW is putting out, thinking of mixing it up with some Iron Hands, IW upgrades and maxmini bionics for the totally over the top bionic experience (also to sort of stretch the mileage on the FW models), though i'd be fielding mine as iron warriors. Thunder hammer as fist will only cause issues with perhaps tournaments, and players who you don't want to play anyway.

I think that it's a great idea, and would look super cool. But remember the saying: If you "count-as" they will moan. :P The armor does seriously look very Iron Warriors, though. And who knows, maybe when the Chaos dex is redid it may even be legal. Wouldn't hold my breath though.

Archived