BA Sternguard Sarge

Sabadin

Picked up a new camera, figured no better way to try it out than put up a WiP

The helm/fist are my first experiments in nmm gold, will likely be scrapped and going with regular metallics, the red I consider finished though. Any C&C always welcomed.

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/4426/sam0028r.jpg

camera works! :P

nice model too, the NMM looks good, might look better with a darker red (which would be a personal preference for BA). but damn thats well painted the red looks a bit orangey IMO (but thats probably what well painted looks like....)

the red looks a bit orangey IMO (but thats probably what well painted looks like....)

Ya, that's part of having started them back in 2nd, should've seen how orange my guys back then looked lol. Funny enough I still have an old pot of the orangey "Blood Angels Red" that I use for my first stage highlights :P

I personally would keep the NMM parts as they are for two reasons. 1) It looks hella sweet. 2) It should be a record of your work at this stage. I never paint over any of my old models, now matter how bad they look, as it gives me an opportunity to see how far I've come and it lets me compare old and new techniques to see what works and what could be improved. Keeping this as it is will let you improve later by working from this as a start, although personally I'm not sure there is a whole lot of room for improvement (see 1).

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately not much work done on him in a bit, so figured for now I 'd throw up some Vanguards and a Sanguinary Guard I'm also working on for some feedback. Also gives you some idea of the path towards the red used on the Sternguard.

gallery_48561_5329_323584.png

gallery_48561_5329_183078.png

I too have been playing BA's since 2nd edition and still love the orangey-red of their armour. I usually highlight up from a base of mechrite red using Blood Red and mixing in orange and yellow to get a lighter highlight.

Your NMM is simply stunning - you should keep it. I just wish I could master that technique! The NMM gold and the orangey-red really work well together.

Your other models are coming on nicely too - especially like the feathers on the Guard model. Did you build up from a greyish blue base, or did you use a wash?

I don't really like the gold of the sangy guard, but the red of his tabbard is nice. The Vanguards are nice, but a bit too bright for my taste (might be camera), since I like the darker shade u got for the first model.

- Natanael

Your other models are coming on nicely too - especially like the feathers on the Guard model. Did you build up from a greyish blue base, or did you use a wash?

I started with fortress gray, washed it with asurmen blue then built it up from there for the wings. The shoulderpad I just based in ice blue and built it up from that.

I don't really like the gold of the sangy guard, but the red of his tabbard is nice. The Vanguards are nice, but a bit too bright for my taste (might be camera), since I like the darker shade u got for the first model.

- Natanael

The gold I'm still torn on, I'm not sure if going to the next step of using silver highlights might make it look too bright. The vanguards were actually started before the sternguard, I was still experimenting with my red and gold recipes. The main difference is pretty much the darker one uses less coats of blood red and I don't thin out the wash as much at the end. The third vanguard is just to give a reference to the starting point I use for my red.

I like the NMM-style gold, since this is too bright and hard to get good-looking. Made a little test myself, trying just washes of Gryphonne Sephia over a white basecoat, and it came out really nice. Add some highlights and you're all set.

- Natanael

I like the NMM-style gold, since this is too bright and hard to get good-looking. Made a little test myself, trying just washes of Gryphonne Sephia over a white basecoat, and it came out really nice. Add some highlights and you're all set.

- Natanael

That's the gold on my first pic in a nutshell, just a bit of extra tinkering to add some more contrast. The SG is using actual metallics though.

Got some work done on the Sternguard tonight, still have a little bit to do but the gold is almost done now.

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/3616/sternguard.jpg

And did some work on the Sanguinary Guard while waiting for washes to dry.

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/6726/12997706.jpg

Archived