Corrupt Xenos?

I seam to remember reading that in the formation of Dark Eldar a Chaos god was created but that Dark Eldar are not 'tainted' as such. I've also sean 'dark' orks in Warhammer but don't know if these are truely tainted or just a different tribe / band. Surely Chaos doesn't care who or what falls under its spell?

There seams little point in corrupting Tyranids although I'm pretty sure that Khorne would appreciate their ruthless killing. Just wondered if this has been covered somewhere and I' being ignorant or if there are is a genuine case for non immperial corruption?

It is indeed possible, one example is the Laer. They were non humanoid xenos whose culture was entirely based on Slaanesh worship. They are what exposed the Emperors Children and Fulgrim to corruption. The dark eldar chaos god correlation is big. The Eldar, pre split between dark and normal, were a debaucherous and hedonistic society, this eventually built up in the warp until a new chaos god was born, Slaanesh. When slaanesh was born the psychic fallout killed the majority of all eldar in the galaxy, those that survived dedicated themselves to either self control (eldar) or bargaining/hiding from Slaanesh (dark eldar.) This story is far more detailed and nuanced than that, but i gave you the quick and dirty version.

By Dark Orks do you mean Black Orks? In which case they were made by Chaos Dwarfs but are not Chaos worshippers themselves and broke free from the dwarfs and now find themselves to be the biggest and toughest green skins... so basically they are now in charge... but they are not chaotic...

Chaos can seemingly get pretty much anyone as has been mentioned Khornate Orks existed... and witch hunters or daemon hunters codex presents a scenario where Orks started worshipping Nurgle thinking it was a shrine to Gork (or was that Mork?) although not fluff as such shows you what might happen... although it is possible Orks have some form of psychic protection as they are very powerful latent psykers...

It has been suggested that some Eldar have fallen to Chaos Worship but I don't know if that has ever been confirmed (Rumours for the new Dark Eldar dex suggest an option for playing a Slaanesh cult may exist)... certainly now human races have been under the yoke of Chaos (the Lear as mentioned but others as well)... The Necrons obviously don't worship chaos considering they are either near enough robots or C'tan who hate the warp... and then we have the Tau who have a very small warp presence so maybe they might be safe from the eyes of chaos... but again among the sugestions for commander farsights weapon is that it is a daemonblade... although personally I would fall into the necron artifact camp :D

Well, Gork and Mork are the manifestations of the ork 'emotions' in the warp, just like the Chaos Gods are. Doesn't that make them Chaos Gods aswel?

It depends... what you define as Chaos gods... but I think he is mainly refering to the ruinous powers... also there exists a line of thought that the Ork Gods do not exist like the other gods do and when they do manifest themselves it is from the belief of the orks that they do exist... if that make sense...

The Eldar gods would be other examples of warp entities that might be called chaos gods..., I personally prefer to use the term chaos for the four powers + minor powers of the chaos pantheon rather than all the warp gods... but that is me :<

I would also like to point out that chaos tainted tyranid is, as of what we currently know, an impossibility. Tyranids do not have a presence in the warp, all sentient creatures exist as a spark of light in the warp, psykers of all kinds are brighter sparks, but the tyranid appear in the warp as shadows, as if the have no connection to it.

I would also like to point out that chaos tainted tyranid is, as of what we currently know, an impossibility. Tyranids do not have a presence in the warp, all sentient creatures exist as a spark of light in the warp, psykers of all kinds are brighter sparks, but the tyranid appear in the warp as shadows, as if the have no connection to it.

I guess that depends what you mean by a chaos nid... I think in Storm of Iron (correct me if I'm wrong) there are nid ships that have been infected with and controlled by the Obliterator virus... so kind of chaos.... if you see what I'm saying... remember trying to understand chaos brings only Madness...

I go with the notion that anything with an individual consciousness and identity can be corrupted, though some species are naturally resistent to it (Orks being one of them).

A few years back when the Daemon Hunters were just being released, WD had an article about making other races/factions Chaos Worshipers or adversaries. It looked really cool, though almost no-one is willing to make a Chaos Tau, Ork, or Eldar army...

It looked really cool, though almost no-one is willing to make a Chaos Tau, Ork, or Eldar army...

Tau: They suck at the moment, so almost no-one wants to play them anyway (and I play them!) :) No seriously, Tau are "uncorruptable" in the sense that their desires extend no further than the appeasement of the greater good. However, that says nothing of the mercenary kroot who sell themselves out to practically anyone... :P (They make their appearance as Lessers for me, but only because I have no lesser models, and they are the only unit I seem to have more than 10 of the same model.)

Orks: Reasons as mentioned before, although I remember the whole thing with Nurgle Orks. Could Orks "accidentally" be corrupted? E.G. Ork ships landing on a plague planet, or a Waaaagh! with lots of Weirdboys due to Tzeench's "gifts" (He is known to tweak things to suit his own ends. Maybe an Ork Waaagh! could be one?).

Eldar: They are the antithesis of Chaos, and have already seen the double-crossing and fickle natures of desires and the Chaos Gods.

Theres a story in the current Ork 'dex that states that a Waaagh was led into the Eye in search of a good fight. They ended up on a planet made of blood and flesh. The warlord got pissed because there was nothing happening, so he shot at the ground. The planet splits open in front of the boyz and a demon emerged from the wound and kills all the boyz. The next day the Orks were re-born on the planet, the warlord was confused for a smidge until he realized that this planet is the holy grail that all orks seek, a never ending war.

With that I'd assume that Orks can fall to Chaos. Also theres a pic of Nurgle Orks in WD #309 pg 75.

That's like saying Space Marines can't turn to Chaos because they are waaay too loyal to the Emperor.

Actually, not it's not. Space Marines are affected by desires and have a Psychic channel into the warp (on a subconscious level at least). The Tau have no knowledge or contact with the warp due to their psychic makeup (as explained in the Codex), and Tau "desires" (meaning desires such as killing/not dying/power) are suppressed by their culture, where Space Marines are encouraged to be "human".

That's like saying Space Marines can't turn to Chaos because they are waaay too loyal to the Emperor.

Actually, not it's not. Space Marines are affected by desires and have a Psychic channel into the warp (on a subconscious level at least). The Tau have no knowledge or contact with the warp due to their psychic makeup (as explained in the Codex), and Tau "desires" (meaning desires such as killing/not dying/power) are suppressed by their culture, where Space Marines are encouraged to be "human".

I understand what Lady Canoness is saying. Yes, the Tau are very resistant to Chaos. But they just can't be immune 100%. And yes their desires are suppressed, but they still need to be there. If they don't feel the need to kill, they won't kill enemies to defend themself (fear of dying/destruction of their empire). If they don't feel the need for power, they won't try to expand their empire, conquer new worlds.

Those desires aren't always negative, but they can turn negative, and the Chaos Gods can make use of them.

Yes they do not 'feed' Chaos as humans do, but I can understand that a Human Chaos worshipper could try to turn a Tau to Chaos worshipper to have his own plans forfilled, even if that doesn't strenghten the Gods. If some Daemon comes, says he is the embodiemend of the Greater Good, and that the Eldar are trying to plan on destroying that noble idea and that they need to be destroyed...

As you said, they do not have knowledge of Chaos. Ignorance brings heresy.

As Lady Canoness said: we aren't here why races wouldn't fall, that is explained enough. We're trying to find reasons why they would fall ^^

An early story or Orks said that Orks were pretty much immune to Nurgle.

One day, Gork and Mork were going to the Drops, and Gork (or was it Mork?) spotted a tasty squig!

He went to eat it, but it turned out to be Nurgle!

So they thumped it, and it turned into a tiny squig, which they ate.

Since then, Orks have been immune to Nurgle!

OK, maybe its just a story the runtherds tell da yoofs, to explain why Orks do not get ill or diseased, or maybe there is more to it ...

Khorne, on the other klaw, is very tempting!

"So, we say 'Khorne is Da Big Boss', and we get to hit fings, and Khorne gives us powers? Sure, sign me up! Sounds a better deal than our current Warboss! "

Slanessh? Desire, pleasure and satisfaction? you mean krumpin' da foes?

Tzeench? Change, Ambition, Knowledge, Hope and Sorcery? Sounds like a wimp to me!

The way I see it, if a Chaos God could corrupt an ork warboss, then that warboss would lead his ork tribe on a campaign to appease his chosen god. Regular orks don't really excel at thinking, so they are easily swayed. Perfect fodder for corruption.

Interesting, based the examples / theories here I would say that fundamentally Chaos can corrupt any conscious organism and obviously Chaos moves in mysterious ways and all that. There are clearly some species who are more susceptible to corruption than others; either due to their lack of corruptible attributes (such as the Tau apparently) or their abundance of corruptible attributes (as humans).

There seam to be notable exceptions in the Eldar who people say are highly resistant; due to a sophisticated state of mental conditioning and awareness? Is the consensus that psychic conditioning, power, control experimentation etc heightens or reduces potential for corruption? (general imperial wisdom suggests the former is true as many space marine novels depict a number of regular joes as deeply suspicious of psychic power, this is probably to reinforce the impression that the average imperial soldier is generally ignorant)

As I understand it 'Nids' are a collective consciousness controlled by the 'hive mind' and following the above rational would make them a potent implement for Chaos, presumably there is no higher being other than the hive mind that nids answer to so is this why they appear as shadows in the warp?

Ork corruption looks fairly logical I can see that some Orkish traits would be appealing to certain Chaos gods and vice versa.

If Xenos corruption is a fairly regular occurrence then, where are the tales of legions of Ork hordes (in various states of alteration) lining up under the banner of Slaanesh for example and indeed lining up and fighting alongside corrupted marines and guard putting their old differences aside in the glory of Chaos?

"Soz about the long post"

There are two types of corruption.

One is deliberately inviting Chaos into your heart/mind/soul. This type is what Tau, Orks, etc are highly resistant to for one reason or another, and 'Nids are pretty much immune to.

The other is the warping power of Chaos itself, to which nothing is immune, not even rocks, ships, etc.

The reason Tau are so resistant is because is they are a kid's tricycle compared to a Human's Hummer and an Astartes Main Battle Tank presence in the warp. They just aren't worth the trouble when so much more is available.

There seam to be notable exceptions in the Eldar who people say are highly resistant; due to a sophisticated state of mental conditioning and awareness? Is the consensus that psychic conditioning, power, control experimentation etc heightens or reduces potential for corruption? (general imperial wisdom suggests the former is true as many space marine novels depict a number of regular joes as deeply suspicious of psychic power, this is probably to reinforce the impression that the average imperial soldier is generally ignorant)

The Eldar are a bit of an unusual case, since going off their Codex they're inherenty even more vulnerable to Chaos than humans are. However, because they're so vulnerable to Chaos, post-fall Craftworld Eldar structure their entire society around preventing any potential Chaos influence.

The Eldar are a bit of an unusual case, since going off their Codex they're inherenty even more vulnerable to Chaos than humans are. However, because they're so vulnerable to Chaos, post-fall Craftworld Eldar structure their entire society around preventing any potential Chaos influence.

Mentally/Spiritually/Psychologically, the Eldar are among the most vulnerable. Physically, they are among the most resilient. Strengths and weakness all in one package, a hallmark of the Warhammer universes. They were also designed that way. With that sensitivity to the Warp, they have tremendous access and ability to use that power to defeat their intended target, the Necrons. Their physical resistance allowed them to act as channels for that power.

And with all things Warhammer, their greatest strengths became their greatest weakness.

Archived