Rifleman Dread vs Land Speeder Typhoon

DarkGuard

Yeah, either use an LSS, or drop the scouts entirely.

What would you suggest dropping for the LSS? Or what would you replace the Scouts with? The main reason I don't do this at the moment is doing so would weaken my long-ranged anti-tank, as I would probably remove a Typhoon or the lascannon off my Razorbacks. Things become harder to move about and all that.

I'd drop the Razorback with the Tactical Squad in favour of a Rhino (so you can mount the whole squad).

Yeah, either use an LSS, or drop the scouts entirely.

What would you suggest dropping for the LSS? Or what would you replace the Scouts with? The main reason I don't do this at the moment is doing so would weaken my long-ranged anti-tank, as I would probably remove a Typhoon or the lascannon off my Razorbacks. Things become harder to move about and all that.

I'd drop the Razorback with the Tactical Squad in favour of a Rhino (so you can mount the whole squad).

But that Razorback gives me a high powered anti-tank weapon, capable of easily knocking out transports and threatening high armour stuff, while the Tactical Squad is designed to all deploy outside the transport and provide supporting fire while holding objectives. Decisions....

A Heavy flamer LSS is a great weapon to drop on your opponents backline through outflank, and the scouts make it scoring.

One t/l lascannon on an av11 vehicle isn't much anti armour :wacko:

RoV

True, but it supplements the two Typhoons, and rarely gets shot at because people prefer to shoot at the Land Speeders (easier to kill), Rhinos (killy Troops inside) and Vindicators more, so it does get a few shots off.

Well, you have to understand if you play the typhoons on the edge of the playing field you're almost always going to hit the enemy's side armor. S8 shots at side armor makes big boom.

Good point actually, and with their mobility they can easily get those armour shots. I do remember one game when they started in one corner and went round in an upside 'L' shape to the other side of the field, and weren't destroyed while causing mischief.

Rifleman Dreads don't have that mobility, and there have been a couple of times when using mine that it has been blocked off by terrain by higher armoured vehicles and not been able to get into the right place.

Just another question, do you guys feel it is vital to always be moving your Typhoons as fast as you can while firing, or can you get away with keeping them stationary some turns?

I always keep them moving. Using the HB/ML variant, you dont really benefit from 3 measly HB shots with krak missiles against a target (and if you're using HB shots against a target requiring krak shots its not worth sticking your arse in the open :) ). You do get to fire frag missiles AND HB on the move, though, because frags are defensive weapons. This makes the HB/ML landspeeder the most mobile and versatile tin can we Marines have!

I need 1 more speeder to do 2 squads of 2 and put a squad in each side of the table. Side armor shots galore :P

Just another question, do you guys feel it is vital to always be moving your Typhoons as fast as you can while firing, or can you get away with keeping them stationary some turns?

There is often no immediate need to move your skimmers.

However, there is almost never a need for them to remain stationary.

You can almost always get some mileage out of moving them - even if it's just expanding your options for next turn.

Thanks for all the advise guys, it has been helpful. I used both my Typhoons again today, against Space Wolves. I did find myself wishing for the higher armour of the Rifleman as they drew fire from Long Fangs, but they still blew up a Razorback before being shot down. I suppose you could say I positioned them poorly, but in the end they did their job (taking out the Razorback), and the Long Fangs didn't do much else. I reckon I'll continue using them, as they have been pretty solid most of the time. Cheers again guys.

Archived