Master of the Forge with Conversion Beamer

Finally putting my Space Marine army together and making up my own Chapter.

Had to include a MoF in order to get 3 dreads and 2 terminator units into a 1500 point army. Figured I'd give him a Conversion Beam to soften up enemy outside of 48"/counter long range threats.

Looked all over for ideas. Ended up using some leftover bits from a venerable dreadnought, and a terminator squad to make the Conversion Beamer.

So yeah, unpainted and all...but I'm happy with how the gun...errr...beam...turned out.

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/7943/20100814224650.jpg

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/4282/20100814224742.jpg

Looking forward to getting the paint going. Figured I'd share my first conversion. :D

The gun needs work IMO. I think the random Storm Bolter that's tacked on looks....well....tacked on. The rest of the gun needs some disguising. Without thinking about it my mind automatically identifies it as a Plasma Cannon with stuff glued on. You need to obscure or rearrange the iconic Plasma Cannon elements to make it less recognizable. The power coil and front "flash suppressor thing" alone each scream "PLASMA WEAPON!!!!", the triple vents/ports alongside it scream "I'M A PLASMA CANNON". If you were to turn the whole thing upside down so that the coil is on the bottom, cut the Plasma ammo thing off and remove the "flash suppressor thing" and it'll look pretty unique.

The gun needs work IMO. I think the random Storm Bolter that's tacked on looks....well....tacked on. The rest of the gun needs some disguising. Without thinking about it my mind automatically identifies it as a Plasma Cannon with stuff glued on. You need to obscure or rearrange the iconic Plasma Cannon elements to make it less recognizable. The power coil and front "flash suppressor thing" alone each scream "PLASMA WEAPON!!!!", the triple vents/ports alongside it scream "I'M A PLASMA CANNON". If you were to turn the whole thing upside down so that the coil is on the bottom, cut the Plasma ammo thing off and remove the "flash suppressor thing" and it'll look pretty unique.

cut the plasma ammo thing off? not sure what you mean there.

my paint job will not be at all "plasma-y". this gun will be old-looking.

thanks for the feedback

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a367/Ieyke/Warhammer%2040k/ConversionBeamernotaplasmaweapon.jpg

I'd chop it up and rearrange the parts something like the left picture. Makes it MUCH harder to see it as a Plasma weapon.

Paint job can do a lot to change a model, but the longer you're in this hobby the more you realize how certain elements will always be visible as traits of a certain thing no matter how you paint them.

You could paint this thing as mud and brass and wood, and it'd still look like a Plasma Cannon with stuff glued to it to me. *shrug*

I'd agree with teh EC.

First off, basic "physics would mean he'd be keeling over - the gun needs suspensors or a hint of suspensors....otherwise teh master of the forge would simply keel over to his side, Servo arm or no...

Second up the plasman canno section looks just too boxy. I have an RT conversion beamer at home, its a lot less bulky than that, thogh there is no model so it doesn't matter. As EC showed, cutting it back would help reduce teh boxiness, I'd suggest removing the entire PC bit all the way to the cable vents to be honest, as the gun would look a little nicer

i like the idea, but like the EC said, it looks too much like a plasma cannon.

in addition i think your green stuff (especially where the servo arm connects to the gun) needs some work too.

it looks a little rough and the edges could be smoother.

Archived