Game Starting Distance

Blindman6

I have a question about the game starting distance that may seem pretty small at first, but I think is crucial, and I can't really tell what the proper answer is. I will use the example of the pitched battle setup, where each army starts more than 12" from the table's center line, making you and your opponent both 24" apart. First, if you had the first turn, and you and your opponent both deployed as close to each other as possible, could you fire weapons at him that had a range of 24", or would they be just out of range? Second, under the same circumstances, do you need 24" to charge, or more than 24" to charge? For example, if you had a unit that can charge 24" to make base to base contact (ie Mephiston with a 6" for fleet and wings of sanguinius), could it charge on the first turn?

Thanks for clearing this up!

If you are directly opposite one another, you are 24" apart.

There is a gap of 24".

Your gun of 24" fills that gap. But doesn't 'make it' onto the baddies base.

Think of it like chess. If there are 24 squares between your and his piece, and you have a 24 square move, all you'd do is move right up into his face. You need the 25th square to be able to attack him.

+++

If you don't deploy directly opposite to one another, like when you are at 12 and 6 o'clock, the gap will be smaller than 24".

Draw a circle and take measurements :)

When it says such phrases as "more than 12 inches," "more than 18 inches," and more than 24," you are farther than those distances apart. So anything with exactly that range (such as bolters for 24", jump infantry moving and assaulting for 18", and infantry moving and assaulting for 12" total) is actually out of range and fails.

+++

If you don't deploy directly opposite to one another, like when you are at 12 and 6 o'clock, the gap will be smaller than 24".

Draw a circle and take measurements ;)

That's true for points on a circle that do not pass through the center however deployement is done with a rectangular no man's land and as such any point not directly opposite would in fact be longer than the one directly across since it would be like a right triangle's hypotenuse which is longer than either leg of the triangle.

+++

Draw a circle and take measurements ;)

That's true for points on a circle that do not pass through the center however deployement is done with a rectangular no man's land and as such any point not directly opposite would in fact be longer than the one directly across since it would be like a right triangle's hypotenuse which is longer than either leg of the triangle.

I don't quite understand the post by Marshal either, though I'm guessing its about Spearhead (table quarters), in which case the gap could be smaller than 24". If Marshal's still talking about Pitched Battle, then agreed, the distance will always be more than 24".

that's only if the shooter and shootee ( if you will ) are at the most extreme points of that circle, if they would be on the same side of the circle ( in the points created by the rectangle and circle, then they aren't 24" apart...no? :)

In the Pitched Battle deployment all models (barring scout moves) will be more than 24" apart, since you have to be more than 12" from the table centre

In the Spearhead deployment models will be from approx 17" apart at the closest since the only restriction I am aware of in that deployment is 12" from the centre with no actually mention of the distance from each other

Dawn of War as stated you have to be more than 18" away (barring scout moves).

Infiltraite and Scout have specific rules about how they can be used in deployment, but I figure they are pretty clear already

Archived