Book of Legion

Jonny Wolf

Hey Chaos Scum! May the Emperor wipe your existence from the galaxy.

Ok, pleasantries aside.

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but:

In the book Legion - Alpharius (and Omegon) were deferential to the Army Commander, Lord Namatjira, speaking to him almost as if he (the Lord) were superior to Alpharius.

Any thoughts? I found this disturbing as I can't see a Primarch being sub-serviant to ANYONE besides the Emperor himself. I do recognize the Legion is about subterfuge and perhaps this was all part of the Primarch's plan to manipulate Namatjira...but still...

Thoughts?

JW

Hello Slave to the False Emperor, your head will make a fine sacrafise to the Dark Gods.

First of all, please note in the title of your post when talking about a book ==> spoiler alert

As for your question, this was all part of Alpahrius/Omegons plan. By being humble, people lose their guard, say more things then they should, revealing secrets that would need to be hidden.

-------spoiler HH - Horus Rising / False God ---------

I don't know if you have seen the other HH books, But in the first 2 Horus himself is pretty humble himself against humans, just to ensure their loyalty to him.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps

Now of to the loyalist side before we kill you for the insult :P

I think it is just part of the bigger plan to make sure he stays loyal and to make sure he gives the Legion information that they need.

Also he does not know who he is talking to sniice they are switching everything up.

While they are talking IIRC Alpharius is not even there and Omegon plays Alpharius.

So if they not want to give up there cover they need to act as normal as they can to him and not being a bunch of prima donnas who are better then him (they are better ofofcourse since they are Astartes).

I think there might be an element of local area command to this aswell; Lord Namatjira was in command of the military operation on Nurth, and as the Alpha Legion were to be joining in the fight in an assisting role, then he would remain in command. Should the Alpha Legion not have contained a Primarch, then I doubt we'd be having this conversation. It could be that the protocol in Legion would have been akin to standard procedure when a space marine contingent joined up with an Imperial Army force.

However, the Alpha Legion were also much more critical of 'standardised' military doctrine than other Legions. I would imagine that should another Primarch of less flexible nature arrive on the scene, they would want to establish themselves into the command structure in a more formal way. I suspect that the Alpha Legion's own philosophy of working outside the 'accepted' bounds of normal military convention would allow them to be politely defferential to Namatjiram knowing full well that they would still be operating within their own remit, regardless of the Imperial Army's wishes.

There also might be some element of personality mollification aswell; I dare say that there would be many Imperial Commanders who would happily defer to a Primarch; it could well be that Alpharius checked out Namatjira's file, and realised that Namatjira wouldn't easily bow down to Alpharius' authority; the 'humble' apporoach would just confirn in Namatjira's mind that he was indeed the natural superior to the primarch, and as such would be more malleable in the long run (as the end of the book bears out).

Certainly, should Alpharius have tried to stamp his authority on Namatjira at the beginning, he would have had a much harder time in convincing him to undertake the actions in the second half of the book.

I think another reason for the defference is because whatever Namatijira did with his own force, it didn't matter. Alpha Legion was there to do there own thing. The primarchs of the Alpha legion would have seen it as an opportunity to test themselves by adapting to whatever circumstances were brought about by the other forces. The only real reason for the primarch to consult with Namatijira would be intel, and maybe perhaps some careful coaxing to have them be in the places that the Alpha Legion needed them to be in.

That was one of the problems with the book in my opinion. The Primarchs are the Emperor's sons and generals, figures of awesome might and charisma, essentially demi-gods who conquer galaxies. Namatjira should be wide-eyed with awe at simply meeting one, much less presuming he is superior.

Archived