Black Legion tournament report

Mentat

Saturday I participated in my first tournament using a Black Legion CSM force.

The tournament was 2000 points. My list was:

Devram Korda - CSM lord, terminator armor, Blissgiver, combi-melta

5 terminators - Champion with combi flamer + lightning claw, 1 with heavy flamer with chainfist, 3 with combi bolter and power sword, icon of Slaanesh

Chaos dreadnaught with 2 DCCW + heavy flamer, extra armor

Chaos dreadnaught with 2 DCCW + heavy flamer, extra armor

CSM squad, AC with power fist, icon of chaos glory, meltagun, autocannon, rhino with havoc and extra armor

CSM squad, AC with power fist, icon of chaos glory, meltagun, autocannon, rhino with havoc and extra armor

3 Obliterators

Defiler with autocannons + havoc

Defiler with autocannons + havoc

-------------------------------------------------

Game 1 - Dawn of War Deployment

Objective: 5 Objective markers on the board, 2 in each deployment zone, 1 in the middle

Secondary objective: Kill points

Opponent: White Scars

His entire force outflanked. He had no mech, only bikes and infantry. To be honest I have never played against this type of army (all outflanking) and made several tactical mistakes. He used his mobility to keep me off the objectives while he captured three. I was also lacking in finishing off his squads. I nearly killed the Khan but he used Hit and Run to escape Blissgiver. He had tons of fast moving melta weapons which hampered my mobility.

The game ended on turn 5 or I probably would have knocked one of his tac squads off an objective for a win or possible tie. This one ended with him controlling more objectives and 10 to 4 kill points, a Massacre.

Game 2 - Pitched Battle Deployment

Objective: Kill points

Secondary objective: Control more objectives

Opponent: Blood Angels

This is one of my regular opponents who I play every week.

His army was basically:

Librarian

6 dreadnaughts (2 riflemen, 1 lascannon/autocannon, 1 librarian, 2 furioso)

5 Razorbacks with tactical squads

3 attack bikes w/ multimelta

Baal Predator

Throughout the game, his librarians provided bubbles of cover for most of his vehicles.

The terrain was more sparse than my other 2 games. I deployed second with most of my stuff on my left side, away from his dreads. I deployed my oblits in my deployment zone behind cover and flanked by rhinos.

I managed to seize the initiative and immediately started suppressing his vehicles with my autocannons (CSM squads in rhinos firing autocannons from fire points).

My dreads ran forward and the defilers remained stationary. 1 dread was taken out early and the other was immobilized. His dreads moved forward and his tact squads and razorbacks remained stationary. Everything that could fire fired, mostly concentrating on my defilers, immobilizing one and knocking the battlecannon off the other.

He turbo boosted his attack bikes towards me. Realizing the attack bikes would make a mess of my vehicles and walkers, I moved 2 rhinos forward, dismounted, and rapid fired, killing all 3!! Devram Korda and crew teleported into his deployment zone near his stunned razorbacks. He moved a couple of razorbacks near my dismounted CSM squads, dismounted squads, and flamed and heavy boltered them. His dreads continued to move towards my stuff, firing, taking out my closest Chaos dread.

My defilers, oblits and a CSM squad continued using lascannons and autocannons to damage and destroy his dreads (ACs hitting the AV12 dreads, oblits shooting the AV13 dreads. Devram Korda and crew opened a razorback and killed the squad inside, including his librarian, then cleared a combat squad off an objective. My 2 dismounted CSM squads finished off all nearby enemies. He finally got his librarian dread and 1 furioso within charge range (all other dreads destroyed by autocannons/lascannons). The oblits immobilized the librarian dread then blew it up on the next turn. The furioso charged my immobilized dread (going for a kill point I think) and was killed by it. His Baal outflanked onto the board but had no targets that weren't armored.

The game ended with 12 kill points for me, 2 for him.

I forgot to move a CSM squad to take 1 of the objectives, so tied on objectives for a Major victory overall.

Game 3 - Spearhead Deployment

Objective: 1 objective in the center of the board

Secondary objective: Kill points

Opponent: Imperial Fists

His army list was something like:

Lysander

5 TH/SS terminators

Land Raider

techmarine

drop pod with 5 sternguard, all with melta weapons

5 tac squads, all with melta, missile, and razorbacks

I deployed far forward with my rhinos flanking the central objective which was on an elevated position with area cover.

First turn, I moved into position and fired a few things, to little effect.

His first turn he drop podded his sternguard in and erased one of my defilers. His land raider moved forward and lysander and the terminators charged my rhino and a dread. His razorbacks moved forward and squads jumped out to melta my rhinos, destroying one. His tac squads fired 5 missiles per turn for the entire game. My dread was killed by TH terminators and they destroyed my rhino, dumping my CSM squad.

I brought my Lord and terminators and oblits in on the objective, losing 1 wound on an oblit due to dangerous terrain. The oblits blew up his land raider. My now dismounted CSM squad fired at the terminators, killing 1, then assaulted them. With 27 attacks plus 3 power fist attacks they managed to kill 2 more (do enough wounds and some 1s WILL come up). My defiler assaulted and messily killed the sternguard.

My CSMs managed to hang in and continue killing terminators for the rest of the game. They eventually finished off the squad but all I had left was the aspiring champion to face Lysander, who had already taken a wound. I managed to score 2 hits and 2 wounds with the power fist and he failed his saves! Unfortunately he simultaneously crushed my champion with his hammer....

The rest of the game was a shooting and close assault slugfest in the maze of wrecked rhinos and razorbacks around the objective. He pounded the objective with 5 missile launchers per turn plus lots of heavy bolter fire. Finally, he managed to break a combat squad through to get to the objective. They took a direct battlecannon hit from my (now immobilized) defiler, but 1 marine survived and ran to the objective.

The die roll to continue was too low and the game ended at this point.

14 kill points for me, 4 kill points for him.

He contested the objective with 1 marine, robbing me of a Massacre.

Overall I placed somewhere in the middle of the tournament rankings.

Good job ;) and it is good that you realised you made mistakes so you can not make them next time ;) Obviously the biggest issue was the loss where the opponent was a new enemy for you :D although I think you could have beat that kind of list if you played against it again now you know what to expect :D.

If I fought the White Scars again I would do better. Mostly I got caught up in guarding against his outflanking units and didn't concentrate on grabbing some objectives early. If I would have used my first 2 turns to grab some objectives (which were ALL in ruins) with my CSM squads, I don't know if he could have dug them out in time.

I purposely used "non-netlist" elements in my army, its the same army I use for normal games at home. For example I use the dreads because I converted a couple from Ironclads and I like them. They are basically something to draw anti tank fire that can't be ignored. They help keep my defilers alive and sometimes they kill things too.

Sounds like a pretty good showing overall. You got surprised by the sneaky Biker army but otherwise managed to pull solid wins from the rest of your opponents.

Can't say that I'm surprised by the sheer amount of light vehicle and Dread spamming.

How did the Autocannon CSMs work for you? It seems like you were able to put out some decent firepower but I wonder if it kept you too static early in the game.

Basically I spend the first turn or two firing 5 autocannons at all the transport vehicles. This tends to result in a lot of stuns and shakens. Once I have stunned the razorbacks and rhinos, I move some of my stuff forward to get near an objective and my oblits usually come in and kill the inevitable land raider. In the kill point games, I do the same thing but don't need to move much since everyone tries to come to me, it seems. Once they get close their forces are usually separated due to transports being stunned/immobilized/destroyed and my CSM squads are able to deal with them. Meanwhile I am moving my dreads forward. They can't really ignore the dreads so they have to shoot at them instead of my Rhinos. The defilers also attract a lot of attention and since they ignore 1/3 of damage results (and can take a weapon destroyed result without becoming useless) they can often hang in for a bit, especially since the enemy has to shoot at my dreads with some AT weapons.

Archived