Valkyrie on Base

Blindman6

When a valkyrie is destroyed or immobilized, do you (or your opponent) usually drop it on the table, or keep it in the air? I know that skimmers are allowed to stay on their bases when they are immobilized, but I was wondering if anyone found any objections to doing this with a valkyrie, seeing that it's base gives it a considerable height advantage. Would you object to an opponent if he opted for one or the other? I'm asking this because I play Blood Angels and converted some Stormravens that use the valkyrie base, and this came up when we are playing, especially because the size of the Stormraven conversion that I made usually makes me not want to deal with putting it on the table, but my friends think it might be a little unfair considering at its height it can see almost all of the table, usually.

Thanks guys!

In the BRB it describes just such a situation on page 71. You are supposed to remove the base, unless it is glued on. Then it can remain the way it is. Though I see no reason why a valk would be glued to it's base unles it was broken, because it is much more stable than some of the more tempermental flying bases in 40K.

well, my friend's valk is not glued to his base, and it is rather wobbly, considering he usually outflanks with it to fire 3 lascannons (it may be a vendette) this is an issue...

Id say, its up to the controlling player

Well, the BRB states:

"If a skimmer is immobilized or wrecked, its base is removed, if possible." This, to me, says that only if it's impossible to remove the flying stand (such as being glued on) can it stay on. Otherwise, you are forced to remove it. Players don't have a choice.

Even if the base is glued on, you can still treat the vehicle as "on the ground" for firing purposes, sop as not to provide an advantage to a player with a glued-on base.

The book just says that if you can't remove the base than just leave it as is. It dosn't say to treat it as if it were on the ground, just as "a floating, burning wreak".

The problem I have with saying that whether the skimmer is glued to the base or not determining whether it stays in the air or not is that this is a rather bizarre case (in my mind) of a player's modelling choices directly determining gameplay. In any other circumstance, I can't think of a simple gluing decision having such a large impact on gameplay, so I'd like to bypass that for this question. Let's just say, for the sake of discussion, that I very purposefully glued all of my skimmers to their bases so that if they were immobilized, I could still have my previous height advantage, knowing that the rulebook would give it to me, since they were glued. If I were your opponent, and I had, say, three valkyries that I purposefully glued to their bases so that I could keep them in the air, would you feel that that was unfair?

It's also a height disadvantage. No cover, for instance. Good enough for me.

Also a modelling disadvantage; how would you transport that piece without something breaking or needing a very large container? :)

Archived