Garf's YABAL - Yet Another Blood Angels Log

garfey

Morning All,

Just a quick news update - not a painting one unfortunately! Been away on hol for 2 two weeks and have just got back so am going to try and squeeze some painting in this weekend, although I have also bought Medal of Honor lol.

My whole assault squad is modelled now and ready to be painted, though I think I'm going to do them in 2's to stop me getting bogged down.

• 2 months later...

Yikes! My last post was 3 months ago today - how quickly time flies!

Unfortunately I haven't done any more painting as yet, but I have both renewed motivation and opportunities coming up. I've pre-ordered myself a Storm Raven and a Furioso Dread ready for the 5th of Feb, so now I have to clear my backlog by then. Also, I'm going in for knee surgery on Monday which means 5 weeks off work for some hobby goodness, yay!

Oh Happy 2011 to you all.

• 1 month later...

Well life got in the way of painting again until very recently! I've been off work for the last few weeks after knee surgery and have had some serious hobby time :( However it's amazing how long things take.. speed painting is not my strong point...

I've got some crappy phone pics to keep you going, but will post some good ones in the next few days ;)

Firstly i've been finishing up my Assault squad - pic below is the next 3 men at the "nearly completed stage"

gallery_55926_5226_59841.jpg

Also, I've decided to convert my own Dante from SG parts - Blu Tacced mock up below - he will have the only Death mask and Axe to diffenenciate him from regular SG. Also I'm trying out NMM gold on him...painstaking but oh well!

gallery_55926_5226_332906.jpg

Finally - with all the shiny new toys, I had to have new dread - but as I made my own furioso I decided to do this one up as DC, BUT...I'm trying to magnetise the sarcophagus and have a spare arm for use with the force weapon :) and have left the top panel red as I've painted the magna grapple black. Just noticed I've left the leg guards off in this pic.

gallery_55926_5226_703195.jpg

Need a progress shot of the whole force and a shot of my Storm Raven :) hehe, it took me a week to build and paint but it's a mega model and I couldn't resist!

Also working on another 5 dudes for the Ass Squad - but the dog tried to eat them...most unhappy - i might say they've recently come off a battle on Canis 9 ;) And 2 sanguinary priests before a box of SG arrive.

I want to add some long range fire support and am unsure of what route to take - options are.... 2 x Preds w/ LCs - 2 x Land Speeders w/ MM - 3 x Attack Bikes w/ MM - or another Raven... ideas?

Garf

Another update! I busted out the good camera to take some decent photos of my new additions....

First up is the DC dread... from a couple of better angles

gallery_55926_5226_2199086.jpg

Trying to show off the talons here, i'm really proud of them!

gallery_55926_5226_1451157.jpg

And here is the bad boy...my storm raven..like i said earlier it took me a week to build and paint...really wish I had army painter spray for that one! As you can see I modded the turret - by just taking a hurricane bolter sponson and cutting a few bits off then mounting it on the standard turret base plate - simple but effective i think. The inside is painted a grey primer-ish colour, in most of the military vehicles i've been in they don't waste money on paint for the inside.

gallery_55926_5226_677997.jpg

Here you can see my freehanding on the wings... they came out ok but hey it's all a learning process.

gallery_55926_5226_1564374.jpg

And lastly my new WIP - a land speeder - slightly modded of course.

gallery_55926_5226_830758.jpg

C&C welcome!

Looks really nice, but for those power weapons with the purple lighting on them- try taking some light, light purple or white and painting a thin, fine line of lightning through the thicker purple lightning you already have. It'll add that much more to the models.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've finished up my landspeeder - still not sure of the loadout but thought a Multimelta would give some much needed tank busting power - it still needs painting lol.

Enjoy.

gallery_55926_5226_260400.jpg

gallery_55926_5226_2403480.jpg

gallery_55926_5226_37029.jpg

Also, check out my next little project.....

My mephiston conversion....

gallery_55926_5226_386355.jpg

Garf

• 1 month later...

Ok, so nearly 2 months since the last update on here. hey ho, such is life! I haven't been idle, I've completed my RAS, started on a Predator (normal, not Baal.. yet), and started a squad of Sanguinary Guard.. Oh I made some scenery too, and had my first game in 14 years!

Anyway, the last pic on here strangely enough is of my Mephiston conversion I was planning. I've ironed out the kinks and done a lot of work on him and here are the 90% completed photos ready for C&C.

gallery_55926_5226_977246.jpeg

gallery_55926_5226_258309.jpeg

gallery_55926_5226_215613.jpeg

gallery_55926_5226_525349.jpeg

Enjoy!

Garf

Wow, nice Loth kitbash. The paintjob ain't too shabby either. Kudos. -_-

Might need more shading between the fingers and armour detailing, though. (I know you said 90% done, but you never know... ;))

@Olisredan - Thanks! I love the scuplt but thought the standard pose was a bit too static and not very Mephiston like :devil:

The hardest bit was bending the chaos terminator cloak... those bad boys are pretty thick plastic really!

Yeah i'm good at getting the first 80-90% of a paint job done, but it's the last 10% I really struggle with - looking at the photos the arms aren't done at all lol. I really want to get the runes on his legs glowing blue / white but i'm really paranoid about screwing up what i've already done as well. To be fair, since these photos were taken i've done a lightning effect on the sword so maybe that's 91% ^_^

G

Good looking stuff you have there! Keep it coming. I really like your red. Overall though, it “feels” like it’s missing something… a certain contrast color perhaps or a more drastic highlight. I really don’t know. I just have this feeling that something is missing!

Nice job!

Laters

Wow! That Loth is really cool! Is there even some blending on the armor?

My only crit is that from the pics he looks like he's falling backwards, maybe put a bit or rock under his back foot.

@Fatman - fair point the last 9% should make it all really *pop* unfortunately my ambition far outweighs my talent / skill :) I'm not a fan of extreme highlights but I'll take another look and see what I can do.

@verpine - Thanks! Yes there is indeed some blending / layering on there, it goes from a mechrite / scab reb mix up to blazing orange - the crappy phone photos make it difficult to see, I'll bust out the DSLR tonight :) Like your Sons or Orar too, nice red on those!

Fair point on the falling over, that 'Nid skull is just a little too high at the moment, luckily its not glued as yet so i'll address that!

Thanks for all the comments / pointers, think it's the most i've ever had on here lol.

G

Archived