Night Lords

Striker4

So I was going to do a huge conglomeration of the chaos gods' special troops and what not. But then I thought about it.. Way too expensive and I'd rather do something fluffy. My main army is Tyranids and my secondary is Space Wolves, so you can tell I love the assault phase. So I went to a website that had detailed lists of the 20 original companies and started reading. Iron Warriors were Intriguing but I could never just sit there for half the game. Not havoc-wreaking enough. :P

Then I turned to the Night Lords. Very assault oriented and I have NEVER seen a night lords army in person. Everyone here either plays iron warriors, word bearers, salamanders, black templar, or blood angels. Getting kind of bland at this point. So here's my rough ideas for some night lords:

Daemon Prince with Wings, Warptime, and Wind of Chaos

Chaos Lord with wings, bolt pistol, and lightning claw

bunch of raptors with PW, CSM in rhinos with meltaguns and IoCG, probably a couple squads of harpies since they are known to be used from time to time.

I feel like I have a good base to start with, but I'm not really sure how to "specialize" then further. Should I use flamers or meltaguns? I'm leaning towards meltaguns for some anti-tank and the fact that fire makes light and i mean.. night lords making light? no... lol I'll probably put a combi-melta on the chaos lord as well.

Those are my ideas. A fast, assault heavy, lots of bodies in your face kind of army. Also I can't remember if the raptors can remove their jump packs and go into rhinos?? I know the SM can.

Please C&C :cuss

I dig it and think that it will look super-gut on the table with the units as you list 'em.

From a fluff perspective I would have Meltas on the Raptors but leave flamers on the Chaos Marines (flamers are terror weapons after all).

All of the Elites are open to you, I reckon, with a special emphasis on Chosen (ya need inflitrating terror troops after all, plus they can take dual claws).

Rhino-bound havocs with Special weapons would also be a great addition as a squad with a little more kill than usual.

Awesome thanks! I was really struggling with elite and heavy slots cuz Night Lords just don't use them as much obviously. Chosen with dual claws would be epic in this list. XD and the havocs are a nice idea. I was thinking a couple of defilers. might get one defiler and 2 rhinos of havocs. That would be fun. Unfortunately for the elite slots termies and dreads don't fit at all in this army. Of course I rarely use them anyway.

Well, the last codex had Night Lords getting 4 Fast Attack with only 2 Heavy Support, so having a hard time fitting them in is not unusual. If you could drop in Havocs and Dreadnoughts, it would be easier to plug those in. Any heavy unit that can show up in random spots would be excellent and flavorful, but that's not really an available option right now.

Well, the last codex had Night Lords getting 4 Fast Attack with only 2 Heavy Support, so having a hard time fitting them in is not unusual. If you could drop in Havocs and Dreadnoughts, it would be easier to plug those in. Any heavy unit that can show up in random spots would be excellent and flavorful, but that's not really an available option right now.

Well, you could use extremely mobile Havocs in a Rhino, but that just wouldn't be the same now would it? :D

From a fluff perspective I would have Meltas on the Raptors but leave flamers on the Chaos Marines (flamers are terror weapons after all).

I dunno, I'd find a gun that lets you melt tanks into slag to be pretty terrifying myself. But yeah, seeing my friend is on fire and I'm next would scare the living =][= PURGED =][= out of me.

Might as well head off the inevitable rage from Nihm and other faithful Night Lordians here and now. The NL are not about speed per se, they are about terror. Having a bunch of marines suddenly jet down on your head is scary, so they use raptors, but it's a means to an end, it's not that they love speed like some Orks. In other words, feel free not having to put jump packs on everything, it's not really necessary, as long as you don't take marks you're pretty much fluffy. Oh and raptors can't remove their jump packs, but unlike loyalist assault squads, raptors aren't really any different from the base troops except for their jump packs so raptors with no JP's are just CSM's.

Anyway all that said, if you already play such all out assault armies already why make another one? Current codex fluffy NL are just bad Space Wolves, I mean it's kind of nice in a weird way because the lack of options will keep you from wasting too many points on shiny stuff, but at the end of the day, anything pure undivided CSM's can do, SW can do better and you already play SW. If anything my advice would be to either make a cult army other than Khorne or something "out there" like a summoned daemon heavy army, it might not be optimal, but again, your SW will be better than anything except arguably some exploitative BL lists anyway and with the exact same gameplay, unlike the novel gameplay of non-Khorne cults and whatnot.

What rain said is true SW can do pretty much everything better then chaos. Chaos just has more style.

But that sour dude has good ideas for running as a more interesting NL army.

What with the angry night lords as Khorne bezerkers.

The heavy weapon teams as obliterators

The wraith marines as Tsons.

Click Dan the daemons sig its all there.

I was totally expecting an "I read soul hunter and now Imma collect NLs!" So read Soul hunter. Its well worth it.

Yes, reading Night Lords would be a good start.

A few other "old school" hobby suggestions: Paint their armour dark, very dark. The recent Codices have painted them far too bright for my taste, making them look more like Thousand Sons (or Ultramarines). In 2nd Edition they were practically black, with only afaint blue highlight. Also, and tis is dear to me: Leave the silly bat wing helmets at home. So no need to get the expensive "Night Lords" kits at all. Perhaps giving them to one or two members of your force works out, but seeing a full squad with those I cannot stand. Much like a Dark Angels squad where everyone wears a robe.

A few other "old school" hobby suggestions: Paint their armour dark, very dark. The recent Codices have painted them far too bright for my taste, making them look more like Thousand Sons (or Ultramarines). In 2nd Edition they were practically black, with only afaint blue highlight. Also, and tis is dear to me: Leave the silly bat wing helmets at home. So no need to get the expensive "Night Lords" kits at all. Perhaps giving them to one or two members of your force works out, but seeing a full squad with those I cannot stand. Much like a Dark Angels squad where everyone wears a robe

I second this statement. I haven’t seen really good representation of “midnight clad”. Most of the models I see on the web or in GW publications are way too bright… As it was mentioned above by Legatus NL used to be almost black….

As far as bat wing helmet goes… I would suggest to use it only for champions (nice way to separate tem from the rest of the squad) and may be raptors.

Good luck with the project.

I did post something earlier but I don't know what happened to it.. grr.. Oh well.

I do need to get my hands on some Night Lords books to get a better feel for them. And Dan those models you made are sweet! I think I'm gonna go about the same ideas. Especially the plasticard making them bigger and scarier.

I do agree about the paint schemes these days. Way too bright. I'll probably paint them black with just a dark blue around the lightning bolts.

I was actually leaning towards using the bat helmets as champions when I thought of this. ;) They're way too expensive to do an entire army and I don't like the look it gives them all that much. I mostly like the paint scheme (expect darker). I might even put the wings on their backs if it doesn't look to cheesy. More of a symbol of who's the champion and who's not, I think.

One thought I had was to use Berserkers as Raptors. Just to further symbolize that these guys are crazed psychopaths. Get some berserkers and some SM jump packs, or better yet some bat wings from fantasy or something.. Then just shave off the Khorne symbols or simply cover them with plasticard. I think they'd look pretty scary, especially after I bitz the hell out of them.

If you're looking at getting a book about Night Lords get Soul Hunter By Aaron Dembsky-Bowden. It's a fantastic read that really portrays the Night Lords quite handsomely.

I must make a stand here and say that i don't like it, at all. :)

The author portrays the Night Lords as having been "forced" to ally themselfs with the forces of Chaos in order to get revenge on the Imperium. I know very well that the Night Lords are not very religous, only seeing their alliance Dark Gods as just that, an benefitting alliance. But Aaron portrayed chaos as something the Night Lords loathed and hated, althought this might have been true during the Horus Heresy. It's ridiculus in the 41th millenium. There have been many Night Lords who have given themslef to Chaos even shortly after the Heresy, for example Periclitor (one badass fella').

Aaron shuld insteed have written a book about the Relictors or The Damned Comapny of Lord Caustos, not the Night Lords. The book was good but the portrayal of the Night Lords ruined it for me. ^_^

If you really want a book that both portrays the ideals of the old and current Night Lords you shuld read Lord of the Night by Simon Spurrier.

Links:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Periclitor

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/The_Damned...of_Lord_Caustos

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Relictors

http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/L...-the-Night.html

Edit:

A good colour sheme, but i guess you might already have seen it: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/...022&start=2

To be fair, the Night Lords company in "Soul Hunter" are some of a unique case, as for them the warp travels have been so that only about one single century has passed to them since the Heresy. They have not been traitors for as long as many other have been. The book already mentions how other Night Lords have different perspectives than Talos, for example the larger warband that had also been allied with the Black Legion, the "traitor" of Night Lord origin, or the Lord of Talos' company himself. A D-B has also stated that he wanted to show different viewpoints within the remainder of the Legion, so while Soul Hunter gave us mainly more of the "we were betrayed by the Emperor" of "Lord of the Night", the next books wil probably show us a few different perspectives.

Aaron shuld insteed have written a book about the Relictors or The Damned Comapny of Lord Caustos, not the Night Lords. The book was good but the portrayal of the Night Lords ruined it for me. :D

If you really want a book that both portrays the ideals of the old and current Night Lords you shuld read Lord of the Night by Simon Spurrier.

The main character in Soul Hunter thought similarly to the main character in Lord of the Night, and one of the major characters was a similar creature (a daemon prince) to the three seconds of 'current' Night Lords we saw in Lord of the Night.

So between the only two viewpoints we saw in Lord of the Night - both of which were clearly present in Soul Hunter - there are also varying levels of corruption and perspective in-between.

So... I don't get what you mean, there.

I know very well that the Night Lords are not very religous, only seeing their alliance Dark Gods as just that, an benefitting alliance. But Aaron portrayed chaos as something the Night Lords loathed and hated, althought this might have been true during the Horus Heresy. It's ridiculus in the 41th millenium.

As far as I can recall, the viewpoint of a squad leader and a few of his chums doesn't really constitute portraying a whole Legion that way, especially when there are other characters - even on the ship - that disagree.

There have been many Night Lords who have given themslef to Chaos even shortly after the Heresy, for example Periclitor (one badass fella').

Um. And the Exalted, the daemon prince leader of the characters in Soul Hunter?

There have been many Night Lords who have given themslef to Chaos even shortly after the Heresy, for example Periclitor (one badass fella').

I liked your book and I am reading Helsreach now... but in the defence of Periclitor... he really got stuck in and did lots of nasty things... while the Exalted seem to sit in his chair and scheme and served Big A... now I admit he seemed to be one hell of a commander.... when it comes to battles in the void... but he seems to lack the 'respect' of a lot of his men and that the reason they follow him is because he is the commander and also fear (both of those are fine). Being a pawn of Tzeentch this isn't really a bad thing but he isn't the 40k daemon prince that people use in the game where he flys around smashing everything... I think you did a good job showing how even within a warband (let alone a legion or all traitor marines) the way marines feel or see themselves varies a lot.

I liked your book and I am reading Helsreach now... but in the defence of Periclitor... he really got stuck in and did lots of nasty things... while the Exalted seem to sit in his chair and scheme and served Big A... now I admit he seemed to be one hell of a commander.... when it comes to battles in the void... but he seems to lack the 'respect' of a lot of his men and that the reason they follow him is because he is the commander and also fear (both of those are fine). Being a pawn of Tzeentch this isn't really a bad thing but he isn't the 40k daemon prince that people use in the game where he flys around smashing everything... I think you did a good job showing how even within a warband (let alone a legion or all traitor marines) the way marines feel or see themselves varies a lot.

Naw, I know what you mean. It's easy to make a plainly badass character, I was trying to go with something a little more nuanced and original. But I wasn't saying the Exalted was like Periclitor in that sense, but the reference was about the Night Lords and their relationship to Chaos. I mean, he's a daemon prince. If that doesn't speak of giving oneself to Chaos, I'm not sure what does. Several characters showed him little respect, but most did - even the other Night Lord commander hated him pretty much for his personality, not his Chaos taint. He's not a nice guy, or a gracious leader. His skills aren't in the "flapping around, clawing at tanks" department. But still, he's hardly unusual in the Legion. I still reckon Soul Hunter showed all the various shades, degrees and nuances way better than Fenix suggests, to the point where I don't actually understand his criticism.

Okay, to be honest, i never read the book myslef, i'm just quoting what those of my friends who read it have said about it.

But still, from what i know from them they clearly said that the book all to often displayed the Night Lords as "tragic and betrayed".

I mean, seriously, some thousands years slaugthering innocents and hiding in the warp and trust me you have become a pretty cold-hearted guy or a psycho. The Nights Lords are even infamous for their brutality.

To be fair, the Night Lords company in "Soul Hunter" are some of a unique case, as for them the warp travels have been so that only about one single century has passed to them since the Heresy. They have not been traitors for as long as many other have been. The book already mentions how other Night Lords have different perspectives than Talos, for example the larger warband that had also been allied with the Black Legion, the "traitor" of Night Lord origin, or the Lord of Talos' company himself. A D-B has also stated that he wanted to show different viewpoints within the remainder of the Legion, so while Soul Hunter gave us mainly more of the "we were betrayed by the Emperor" of "Lord of the Night", the next books wil probably show us a few different perspectives.

Didn't notice this sorry. Gotta speak to the guys who read this boo kwhy they didn't mention this, the time spent serving Chaos is of course a huge factor. :)

Okay, to be honest, i never read the book myslef...

Ah. You were lying. The truth surfaces.

Tsk, tsk. Bad internet person. No cookie.

You can't handle the TRUTH! ;)

But then again... i never said i read it, just that i didn't like it. :P

And no problem bout' the cookies, i already got cake! :P

But then again... i never said i read it, just that i didn't like it. :blush:

I don't like stuff I've never read or seen, and I completely misinterpret them, too. And I also say what the author should have written instead, despite never reading what he actually did.

No.

No, wait...

Wow, it's kinda awesome to see a Black Library author on these forums, in any case, I've read Lord of the Night, but unfortunately have been unable to read Soul Hunter yet.

By the way, I must ask, how did you feel going into the writing process? Was it difficult to try to live up to Simon's work while remaining original and keeping with what he had already wrote?

Best Regards,

~ Kor Megron

Archived