The Sanctified and Khorne

Lord Kallozar

Hey all!

Ive been pondering this for a while now and trying to figure out why The Sanctified warband suddenly went from strictly worshipping the dark gods as a whole (Word Bearers ethos) to becoming devout followers of Khorne!!? So i was wandering if you guys know how this happened? Has there been anything written about it or theories as to why?

Cheers!

My guess? It could be because their original leader has been dead for a long, long time. He was probably something akin to a Dark Apostle; someone "enforcing a strict regime of religious observance" as the Codex puts it. His loss and the isolation from the legion may have caused the Sancified to stray away from Undivided worship.

I assume the answer lies in the Imperial Armour volume six or seven. I do not have them, but one thing I am suspecting is that they may not actually exclusively worship Khorne but merely had assisted Lord Zhufor and the Skulltakers in summoning a lot of Khornate daemons for them, which then had been interpreted by some readers of those books as the Sanctified themselves being dedicated entirely to Khorne. But as I said, I do not have the books, so perhaps they indeed plainly state that they only follow Khorne.

They do worship Khorne, they are listed as a Khornate warband in one of the IA books and there are pictures of their armor with khorne symbols, but they are not berzerkers, they are just Khorne following Chaos marines. It's never explicitly stated why, but their original leader died in M32, so since then they have been off the leash as it were. On top of that, they don't seem to be following Lorgar as they did not retreat into warp space with the rest of the Word Bearers and have actually operated in Imperial space fostering cults and causing trouble of their own accord.

Archived