Question: Night Lord models and Icons

caboosebe

I'm building an Black Crusade with all Chaos Legion in them. This does however always give a few problems, if we look at the fluff anyway, and i'm trying to make some home made rules to keep it fluffy (and to be honest, all the rules make it harder on me then my enemy :))

Anyway, I currently have a fluff/modeling problem with the Night Lord section of my Army.

As they do not worship any Chaos gods, I'm not going to make any Cult troops, so probably some CSM and Raptors (as they are known for their terror tactics, swift and deadly).

What I want to know from the Night Lord players, is how they do it with the Icons.

As i said earlier, they do not worship Chaos. So how do you give them marks, if you even give them any at all. I'm thinking more about Chaos Glory then the others, just for the re-roll on moral.

Do you have some kind of 'special item' you give them, that explains the re-roll?

Thank you for your time ^^

Caboose

Night Lords are still Chaos Space Marines. They just aren't in it with their hearts. There may be some Lords or Warbands that try to refuse pacts with the darkgods as much as possible, but most will engage in deals or pacts for the benefits they bring, be they combat power or simply safe passage through the warp, or a capable navigator or a Sorcerer that is able to predict the most lucrative target worlds. So you don't have to worry about having to file off all the eight pointed stars from your models, and there is nothing wrong with a Night Lord carrying an Icon of Chaos Glory. They are not truly dedicated, but they are in it to get something out of the relationship.

If it was the 3.5 dex I would say forgo the icon and just give them more vetran abilities. But, alas, it is not. So, I don't think you really need a justification for 'marks'. It's more the ability that you're paying for. There's no restriction in the current dex about them carrying one. If it's fluff you're worried about the dex doesn't flow with that, and you can give yourself your own story.

If it was the 3.5 dex I would say forgo the icon and just give them more vetran abilities. But, alas, it is not. So, I don't think you really need a justification for 'marks'. It's more the ability that you're paying for. There's no restriction in the current dex about them carrying one. If it's fluff you're worried about the dex doesn't flow with that, and you can give yourself your own story.

I also liked the idea of old claw banners. Each of my squads carries a WHFB Chaos Warriors banner.

Banner painted in black/Icon of chaos glory= Black banner

Banner painted with blood splatters on it/Icon of Khorne= Banner of murder/Banner of blood

I quite like this approach and it keeps things 'fluffy'.

Archived