How do the Iron Warriors view the chaos gods?

Son of Lorgar

Hello there!

I was just curious to find out how and what the Iron Warriors worship. Are they more similar to the Night lords, where they don't really worship anyhing? Are they more like the Word Bearers, where they are quite zealous in their worship? Or do they not even bother with the gods, in favour of something else, such as the machine god? The answer will help me determine what legion I base my army on. :)

I'm sure the hardcore choasticians out there will be able to help you more than me, but a mate of mine has an Iron Warriors army. From what I remember, as followers of Chaos Undivided they do not normally subscribe to the service of any particular chaos deity, but do use deamons etc when it serves them. That said, I think they're mostly known for their affinity with machines and technology, and their application of siege warfare.

Oh and check this out:

Lexicanum

Hope that helps.

I would have too agree with the fact that they would most likely be undivided, however i think in gaming terms the would benefit from a mark of nurgle. Why nurgle you say hes tough and IW are a sit behind cover and blast you too little pieces kinda army so its fitting.

Hello there!

I was just curious to find out how and what the Iron Warriors worship. Are they more similar to the Night lords, where they don't really worship anyhing? Are they more like the Word Bearers, where they are quite zealous in their worship? Or do they not even bother with the gods, in favour of something else, such as the machine god? The answer will help me determine what legion I base my army on. :huh:

Echoing what others have said, I would say that exist somewhere in between your examples.

The Night Lords, in general, have a sense of contempt for any kind of worship and so would be the least devout of the Legions.

The Word Bearers are the most devout, with the average WB doing everything he can to please the gods.

The Iron Warriors honor and respect the gods as a source of power but don't worship them. The will use Chaos and understand that Chaos might use them but they would try and get something from it. As I've often said, they are pragmatic and that while it would be stupid to piss off the Chaos gods, they also see how fickle and fleeting their support can be.

So to the Iron Warriors, the chaos gods are just another tool to utilize in battle, similar to a bolter or a tank? That's what it sounds like to me. It also sounds like I have found my army, thanks!

If you can, read Storm of Iron, not only is it one of the better BL books, it also gives you a good understanding of how Iron Warriors and to some degree all of Chaos Marines function.

With Chaos there are always expections being made, but overall I think your understanding of IW is correct, at least in my eyes.

This is a quote from another thread but I think it gives a good insight:

Just throwing out another view point. There are no chaos gods. The warp is a natural occurance like the weather. Worshiping Chaos Undivided is simply drawing the energy of the warp and manifesting them in real space.

Just like one would say that weather is a tool on the battlefield, so is the power of Chaos. Equally unpredictable and equally powerful, its something you can't rely on but can't ignore either.

From the IA article it kinda implies a disdain for worshiping, but not a disdain for the powers granted by chaos. They could use berzerkers, but they were the ones who entered the breach one too many times. They put more faith in their bolters, siege guns, and armor than they do towards the worship of fickle gods. But I guess you can say that time and chaos corrupt all things, even the uncorruptable.

Until I had read Storm of Iron, I always assumed Iron Warriors were strictly undivided. That was thrown off by the Berzerkers. Would similarly 'cracked' marines be appropriate as cult troops in an Iron Warriors force? I can see the torturous psychological impact of constant siegework breaking someone down to bloodthirst, or despair and resignation, or the need for excess and sensation, or the craving for change. Maybe it's just a symptom of the last Codex's Iron Warriors rules, but I just never thought of them using marked troops the way the Black Legion would. Alas I do not know the Iron Warriors well.

They use bezerkers. IIRC its even in their IA article. (aswell as mentioned in Storm of Iron as said above)

On the other hand these are the guys who amputate mutated limbs and replace with mechancial ones. (from IA)

So you have those cold bitter hearted psychopaths unwillinging to lower themselves to full worship and those lured to the mindless slaughter of the blood god. All one big brooding, paranoid, hateful family. In a fortress.. for millenia. Yeah.

Archived