Storm Dragons Siegebreaker Cavalry: It Begins

The daemon engines have finally arrived, and I got to building one of them this weekend. Sadly, it'll be a while before the whole unit gets finished, as business takes me away from building opportunities. But, the first one is "mostly ready" as of yesterday, a CCW/Storm Shield rider. Yes, the crusher is a bit rough... in fact, I would love to see suggestions on what to put on his front legs to cover up the clean-up job. It can't be wolf stuff: though I use the wolf rulebook, my Chapter has no relation to Space Wolves.

His legs are from the Death Company range, so is the torso. Shield is from the Assault Squad sprue. Saddle has been painfully cut out from a bike.

Without further ado:

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/9145/twc1back.th.jpghttp://img841.imageshack.us/img841/6427/twc1front.th.jpghttp://img833.imageshack.us/img833/9076/twc1left.th.jpghttp://img294.imageshack.us/img294/3227/twc1right.th.jpg

looking good so far, but i can't help wondering, why you left the crux terminatus on his shoulder guard.

a loyalist imperial symbol like that and a demonic steed don't match very good in my humble opinion.

as for the covering of the clean up job, i would recommend some green stuff symbols or the spiked plates from the chaos vehicle sprue.

Storm Dragons are not Chaos, they are loyalists.

And yet the first thing 90% of viewers are going to notice is: that is definitely a Blood Crusher of Khorne.

If you want to make the model less likely to draw the gaze of the Inquisition, I'd recommend making a heck of a lot of changes to that mount.

Traitorous influence aside, I like the pose of the Space Marine, I like the use of the Combat Shield (don't see enough of them), and I'd love to see it painted!

Od.

i did - just reminds me of the old space marine riding a juggernaught...

but this one is plastic, and good...

but still looks chaos to me, chop the big spikes off and smoothing out the sides (ie taking the 'spikes' out of the trim) might help, but you need people to look at those and not see juggernaughts

Spikes have been gotten out of the trim, and I put a few doodads on the juggernaut's forelegs (a parchment and a large winged skull). No way in hell I'm chopping off his gorgeous head spikes though...

Anyway, this guy is getting away with it, and so can I:

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae39/phil363839/Thunderwolf%20Lord/DSCF2061.jpg?t=1282071531

Anyway, this guy is getting away with it, and so can I:

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae39/phil363839/Thunderwolf%20Lord/DSCF2061.jpg?t=1282071531

he doesn't get away with it, at least not in my book :P the juggernaut is still screaming "blood for the blood god" to me, even if you put some space wolves runes and kit on it

don't get me wrong, i like the idea to use the plastic juggernauts as a base for mounts for loyal space marines, but i think it needs a lot more converting, to get rid of the "khorne" feeling.

I think i have to agree with wicced...to a certain extent...

While i really like the completed look, the jugger is one of those iconic things that takes a lot of effort to work over. Youve gotten rid of the big issue of the chaos star with the icon addition...but the thing still screams jugger. i would think a couple modifications to the head would help this...changing the profile, adding ears, changing how the mouth works, something along those lines...maybe changing the feet up a touch too (paws instead of hoofs). all this depends on how much effort you really want to put in here.

as it stands, well i like it and would love to see a unit on the table

It looks totally kickass, but to make it more loyalist i would make the head more wolflike. Maybe lose the rhino horn and add some pointy "ears". Also, like GhostLegion said, turn the hoofs into "paws".

Overall change it from a rhino to a wolf.

(edit for spelling fails...)

edit #2: also, if you're going to make them wolflike, BLUE eyes. my 2 cents.

Yanowhat?

I regret bringing this out into the open. BTW, the wolf isn't mine. It was just a picture on the wolf forums someone posted, I thought it was bloody kickass, so I reposted it here. Silly me. Good luck to the wolf though.

I have a Chapter lore bit that explains WHY they are cleaned-up bloodcrushers with imperial symbolic, but honestly, who cares, right? It's a piece of crap. It's a loyalist marine mounted on a bloodcrusher. Hoo hoo hoo.

Anyway. Would a mod close this thread, or better yet nuke it? Obviously my POS effort isn't worth the discussion. Olgerth fails. Fatality and whatnot. I'll fail in solitude. Thank you.

I don't think you fail unless that's what you want. This is your hobby and if you want to have a juggernaught riding unit of space marines counting as thunderwolf cavalry then you can have a juggernaught riding unit of space marines that count as thunder wolf cavalry.

As long as you are happy with the mini's you're making/painting/gaming with then that's all that matters :P. So I think you should see this project through. You've already invested significant amounts of time and money in it and you've got a solid idea of what you want to achieve. So I say go for it. Keep posting updates as well and if it'll make you feel better about it, post up the fluff you've written that 'justifies' (my emphasis) your use of the Bloodcrusher as it is. That way people will be able to read what you've thought up.... you might even sway some people, not that is what you're wanting to do. What you want to do is show off what you're doing.

Besides you've made me think of a couple of ideas using the plastic bloodcrusher now....

James

Anyway. Would a mod close this thread, or better yet nuke it? Obviously my POS effort isn't worth the discussion. Olgerth fails. Fatality and whatnot. I'll fail in solitude. Thank you.

Really? A few negative comments and you decide that? If you put somthing here you will get feedback you don't like, such is life. Half the idea of the WIP section is for feedback to help people improve their modelling skill. If your going to get huffy and defeatist over some negative comments, here is not the right place to post.

While personally I love the idea of having Blood Crushers as thunder-wolves, I agree that you have to remove the Khorne aspects, or people will just look at it and see Chaos BloodCrushers. Try adding a tail/ears or a snout, those iconic wolf features that stop people thinking ''Chaos'' or ''Khorne'' and make them think ''Wolf'' or ''Loyalist''.

Also, brilliant paint job there, lets see some more.

Yanowhat?

BTW, the wolf isn't mine. It was just a picture on the wolf forums someone posted, I thought it was bloody kickass, so I reposted it here.

Woah, sorry dude, i totally misread that. I didn't know it was someone else's. I really didn't mean to come across as so negative. i guess i was a bit harsh.. but don't stop posting! I'd love to see how your stuff turns out!

sorry

-verpine

hey don't quit on this,

prove the naysayers wrong...

i (kinda) remember seeing dennis hopper in a probably-made-for-tv version of jason and the argonaughts

jason had to use some kinda mechanical bull to plow a field

i saw that and thought it would make a good mount, can't find a pic at the mo though....

Been down this road, got off it. Your turn now buddy.

Unlike the others above (entitled to their own opinions and all) but I can see it working sweetly. The pic from the other forum looks very good and you can work with something similar. I say, lose most if not all the trim - the hooves, the plates, heck make it as small as you can. Lose the neckring and all the underlying stuff on the chin of the beast. And perhaps make it more like a proper mount? Like a saddle of sorts instead of him hitching a ride on some mechanical rhino :)

EDIT: and also the spikes on the plating on the legs, that can go too.

Archived