Various BA-related questions

Hey! I'm just writing this to make sure you are allowed to do the following when playing Blood Angels:

Storm Raven:

-Move flat out 24" and fire a weapon (due to PotMS)

-Have troops and a dread disembark using Skies of Blood, but not scatter due to having a Locator Beacon.

Librarians:

-Use Shield of Sanguinius even while in CC

-When using Fear of the Darkness, force 2 leadership tests in a turn (1 for Fear of the Darkness, and 1 if the unit suffered 25% casualties from the unit the libby is attached to)

Storm Raven:

-Move flat out 24" and fire a weapon (due to PotMS)

Yes. The shooting situation for a fast vehicle moving flat out is essentially the same as for a normal vehicle moving at cruising speed, and those are specifically allowed to fire a weapon with PotMS.

-Have troops and a dread disembark using Skies of Blood, but not scatter due to having a Locator Beacon.

I was going to say yes, as the rule for Skies of Blood specifically mentions that units with Jump Packs can use "Descent of Angels" to improve their landing, so why shouldn't other methods to improve deep strike placement? But then I thought about it some more. Technically a Locator Beacon only works for deep strike placements when a unit is "deployed" (or "arrives on the table", as it is phrased in the Codex Space Marines instead). And it kind of makes sense that the Blood Angels' jump pack skills would allow them to drop out of a skimmer more safely, but not how global positioning data would help a tactical squad or a dreadnought doing that. So, similar to how a Codex Marine Locator Beacon would not allow them to use their Librarian's "Gate of Infinity" without scattering, I would say Blood Angels cannot use a Locator Beacon to jump out of a Stormraven without scattering.

Librarians:

-Use Shield of Sanguinius even while in CC

IIRC Psykers can use powers that are not used instead of shooting a weapon in close combat, so yes, he could do that. Obviously he himself would not get any benefit from that, nor the unit he was with, but there might be an unengagded Blood Angels unit within 6" that would benefit.

-When using Fear of the Darkness, force 2 leadership tests in a turn

Yes, that would be possible. Another instance where this could occur would be a Tank Shock where the schocked unit loses more than 25% to "death or glory" (if the unit happened to have 4 or less models left). The Tank Schock itself would force an immediate test, and then teh unit would have to test again at the end of the phase for losing 25% or more of their members,

Legatus, I double checked through the codex for his second question and found:

"Nominate any point over which the Stormraven moved over and deploy the squad as if it were deep striking..."

"If a unit wishes to deploy via deep strike and chooses..."

The wording matches up enough to allow him to use a locator beacon.

As for the shield, of course the Librarian and his squad could benefit. Conveniently scattering blast weapons come to mind...

Legatus, I double checked through the codex for his second question and found:

"Nominate any point over which the Stormraven moved over and deploy the squad as if it were deep striking..."

"If a unit wishes to deploy via deep strike and chooses..."

The wording matches up enough to allow him to use a locator beacon.

I guess that is true. The wording in Codex Blood Angels has been changed from the one in Codex Space Marines, though (their Locator Beacons work on units "wishing to arrive on th ebattlefield via deep strike"), so it is questionable.

As for the shield, of course the Librarian and his squad could benefit. Conveniently scattering blast weapons come to mind...

True enough. I did not think of that.

Though only if he deep strikes close enough to where the locator beacon is after the SR has finished moving (as you cant move 2 units at once so once you've moved the SR the location of its locator beacon will be centered on it).

Wait, I have a question regarding shield of Sanguinious in CC. Even if the librarian could cast shield, could the squad actually benefit from the cover saves? Doesn't the big rule book say that units in CC are unable to benefit from cover?

Wait, I have a question regarding shield of Sanguinious in CC. Even if the librarian could cast shield, could the squad actually benefit from the cover saves? Doesn't the big rule book say that units in CC are unable to benefit from cover?

It dosn't say that they can't benefit from cover, just "models do not get cover saves against any wounds suffered in close combat"

For CC attacks yes. It doesnt change the protection from shooting however.

If your in a protracted combat, and it looks like youll be out at the end of your own assault phase, it may be worth it to cast Shield in order to stop enemy shooting the next turn.

For CC attacks yes. It doesnt change the protection from shooting however.

If your in a protracted combat, and it looks like youll be out at the end of your own assault phase, it may be worth it to cast Shield in order to stop enemy shooting the next turn.

The power dosn't last that long. You use it during the enemy shooting phase and it ends at the end of the phase.

True that the unit in CC would not benefit from the coversave against assault attacks.

But there are 2 instances where I can see it coming into use.

#1 The most likely, a seperate unit that is not in CC is within range of the power would gain the cover save against any shooting directed at them

#2 Less common, you are playing in a game where there are 3+ sides where you are able to shoot into the combat if you don't have any one from your side into that combat. BAs hit would get the cover save. (see vindicator vs that)

Anyone have an answer as to why vindicators and whirlwinds no longer have blast in their weapon entries? Due to the people I'm playing with this has pretty much limited if not removed their uses.

Anyone have an answer as to why vindicators and whirlwinds no longer have blast in their weapon entries? Due to the people I'm playing with this has pretty much limited if not removed their uses.

AFAICR, the vehicle rules specify that Ordnance is always Large Blast.

Also, get a better group to play with, not a pack of rules-lawyering 'tards.

All ordnance barrage weapons (Whirlwind) use the large blast by default and the vindicator has been fixed by the errata

All ordnance barrage weapons (Whirlwind) use the large blast by default and the vindicator has been fixed by the errata

Thanks... though some how this won't help. They don't like errata sadly ^_^

What your friends 'like' does not come into it.

GW website

"The Errata have the same level of 'authority' as the main rules, as they effectively modify the published material. They are 'hard' material. It is a good idea to read them and be aware of their existence, but luckily there are very few of them for each book."

Errata are the rules, period.

What I, or anyone else, likes does not have any bearing, errata are the same as the BRB or the Codeii.

Your friends agrument has no standing.

Indeed, ignoring FAQ can be fine, especialy as some of them are pants on head retarded (I'm looking at you space wolves and tyranid FAQ's), but ignoring Errata is the same as ignoring whats printed in the dex. Though as has been said you are still clear with the wirlwind, as all barrage weapons use blasts (third paragraph pg 32 BRB) and all ordance blast weapons use large blasts unless specified otherwise (pg 58 brb last sentence in the paragraph under "ordance weapons"). For the vindicator if they dont accept errata (which is foolhardy), then shrug and take your superior anti armor weapon (its much more acurate vs vehicles without the large blast)

Or at least they are no longer using the official rules. It's not directly cheating but it is homeruling against you. :)

It is cheating if both players have not agreed to the house rule.

Archived