SW tank weathering

Blackmane

well, if your going for a less cartoony look on your tanks, you could score the tank/ cut chunks out of it or scratch it with a hobby knife to give an effect of battle damage before you begin painting- then once you have finished painting the tank in its normal scheme, you paint a rust effect over the marks you have made on the tank.

you could also use a pin-vice to 'drill' holes in the armour and then insert the tip of a hobby knife and rotate to give a crater like shape in the armour to represent artillery shells that have pounded against the vehicle but have not delivered fatal blows

i hope that helps !

Your tank looks good. I think to up your weathering game you gotta work in pigments, that is what the ace historical guys use. I imagine that is what Vallejo is pitching it is what Forgeworld pitches too.

Yeah, your weathering is fine. Correct placement (though its a little too selective in my opinion). I would look into some pigments as this will help to add the level of realism your looking for. I dont think you need to worry about cutting into your tank as this doesnt always help.

One thing you might want to concider is that some of the tank it too clean. The pigments will help this but so would adding areas of chipping on the non-grey areas as well. The only problem with this is that it could spoil your lovely free-hand. So its a tough choice.

Thx for ya advise. Keep 'em comming

What I intend to try is(with tried and new methodes mixed):

-Black primer

-Sombre grey through AB

-Very light drybrush as per HTPT to give subtle tetxture(new trick)

-Sombre/SW grey edge highlights

-SW grey extreme highlights

-Blackline using a daaark grey applied as a wash

-Iconopgraphy then masked with Maskol to prevent it getting ruined by next step

-Rain streaks in a darker and a brighter tone of Sombre with airbrush

-Chippings: sponged on previously in brown colours but I think I wanna try doing 'em in dark greys and fewer than on the Vindy

-A coat of The Army Painter Anti shine matt varnish

-The rest

This may seem likw A LOT!, but in the past I hand painted the black line over the entire model and then again with a brush layered the base colour away from the recesses. The time I save with:

-Sombre grey through AB

and

-Blackline using a daaark grey applied as a wash

Gives me an eternity to do weathering and details and still be ahead compaired to what I used to

So on to the taxis -after the Long fangs...

Greetz

-Frizze

Archived