Grey hunter

Koriel

Greetings.

I'm as you can see, a new member on these forums but I've been skulking around the site for a couple of years getting tips and inspiration for my own armies.

Therefor I now share with you my test-model for my SW army.

gallery_56535_5235_3127219.jpg

It's actually 2-3 years since I last painted a miniature so I'm currently re-learning how to paint.

Sadly this is the only angle of him for the moment since my camera died on me and the flash hides some of the details.

I prefer the grey armour over the more blueish hue that the GW army has so on this guy I aimed to not only get back into painting but to try out a few techniques such as battle damage. I think I managed some of the dinks and scrathes but others didn't turn out as well as I'd like and the sword gave me some trouble.

Otherwise I'm more or less happy with it, just need a few more test models to get my steady hand back and to get the hang of some of the basic techniques I've forgotten and a few new ones I've read about.

I'm looking forward to be adding more to this comunity and to learn from it, hopefully I'll have a finished squad picture to share with you guys soon.

[Oh and pardon any spelling errors, english aint my first language ^_^ ]

Koriel out

Thanks for the comments guys.

Wish I knew how to paint red like you do. Any tips?

I just worked my way up from scab red through red gore to blood red and then washed it with some baal red.

As for the muted metalics I wanted to try something else rather then just gold or silver :)

I'm currently assembling and converting another batch of SW packs using the new FW armour marks, gonna mix em up with the regular ones in the squads. Some fluff is that this great company can't re-supply at the fang all that often and so therefor have resorted to using older marks of armour.

Welcome brother!

Fantastic mini! Should I leave the hobby for few years to improve my painting? :) But, seriously, that is one nice mini there? How did you go about the main armor color?

Anyways, keep up the good work and my Russ guide your blade...err....brush!

The grey armour was simply basecoated codex grey over a black undercoat. It then recieved a wash or two of badab black ( 2nd wash was concentrated around the recessed parts of the armour). I then highlighted the armour first with codex grey then with fortress grey. Skull white was used on the sharpest edges.

Since I painted this model I've moved on to a new basecoat, a 3:1 mix of codex grey and chaos black, which gives more or less the same look as the codex grey with the black washes. Saves some time and I can mix up a large quantity of the basecoat so it stays consistent ;)

The grey armour was simply basecoated codex grey over a black undercoat. It then recieved a wash or two of badab black ( 2nd wash was concentrated around the recessed parts of the armour). I then highlighted the armour first with codex grey then with fortress grey. Skull white was used on the sharpest edges.

Since I painted this model I've moved on to a new basecoat, a 3:1 mix of codex grey and chaos black, which gives more or less the same look as the codex grey with the black washes. Saves some time and I can mix up a large quantity of the basecoat so it stays consistent :P

Wow, really? I might have to give that a swing sometime. Thanks brother!

My next victim in my quest for just the right colour scheme is to be this gentleman.

gallery_56535_5235_43658.jpg

And while I'm at it, I'm gonna try to get a "frostmourn-esque" look on the frostblade.

gallery_56535_5235_9537.jpg

I'm thinking about trying out a muted/grimey yellow as a spot colour rather then the red this time around. I also aim to achive a better finish with the battle damage.

Oh and here's a picture of my custom basecoat which I've dubbed Leman-grey, it's a 3:1 mix of codex grey and chaos black.

The pot on the left is my mix compared to the standard codex grey on the right.

gallery_56535_5235_11426.jpg

Koriel out

Archived