A Very WIP Ultramarine

Theodus

Hey everyone. Basically, I've been tempted by the Ultramarines. Mostly because after reading their history they've become a more attractive and fluffy option, partly because I got older and no longer see them as the typical younger attitude of being too "posterboy-ish" and partly because in all honesty, I like painting blue. I painted one recently, and he's quite a work in progress and I was hoping to get some comments and critique on how to make it better (he's not based for one, at the moment I'm just thinking colours). I know I tend to do quite light highlights, I tend to consciously not go too stark on them but I'm not sure if they need to go stronger or if they're good as they are. Looking at it now, the metal on the bolter certainly needs a highlight and the black casing. Well enough rambling from me. It's probably best that I post some pictures and leave you all to be the judge. If all goes well this chap will get some squad mates soon. Thanks in advance.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/ShowBK/DSC00839.jpg

and a bit more of a close up with different lighting

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/ShowBK/DSC00841.jpg

Yeah I was pondering doing a wash of such on the armour, or asurmen blue to tie it all together, but the Ultra's are the one chapter I wanted quite bright. I'll experiment with washes, such as badbad black. I tend to use it on metals such as the boltgun, not tried it on whole pieces of armour before. May be raiding my spares box and just doing a series of tester chest plates and see what I like. Otherwise I have a feeling I'm going to get through a lot of test mini's thank you for your advice :P

I honestly don't think it needs a wash over the blue. The blue is fine how it is :blink:

The only things I would work on is bringing a light orange-ish color to the front of the eye, much like you did with the white dot in the black. Or maybe use a Bronze color. I used Macharius Solar Orange on my recent red eyes... and that worked out quite nicely I think. Dunno if your using GW paints or not though.

The bolter needs some work. Its just detail work though. I'd highlight the edges in a contrasting Grey and do something with the skull. Maybe a light Grey-Stonish color or a bright red.

The only other thing is the under-armor and mouth grill areas. Black works, but I personally like to lighten them up a bit. I'd use a metallic silver or gray color like boltgun metal or fortress grey, then wash it with a black and then do a brighter color over the ridges... like mithril silver or astronomicon gray.

Anyway, that is my opinion... looking really good though!

Archived