Odd Rules Monkey Saves question

BladeEncarmine

Hey all, my psychotic friend strikes again with rules shennanigans.

Based on the wording of the BRB, a model "can" choose to take a save against an incoming wound. Now, my friend was messing around with my Blood Angels army with a Lemartes Death Company, and he decided that the word "can" in the taking saves section of the BRB meant he could assign a wound to Lemartes from a single fleshborer round and just let him be hurt so he could activate his "Fury Unbound" rule.

Now, I can't seem to find a RAW arguement against this tactic, though I'm almost positive that it shouldn't be RAI. As it stood, he won the roll-off against our other friend and Lemartes shredded absolutely everything he touched that game.

Can anyone quote me an errata or rule which would help us figure out which way this should go without having to Homerule it and piss him off for the rest of our group not "following the letter of the rules"?

Nope, no choosing not to take a save.

Can't quote an exact page (my book is hiding from me) but I know there is a part in there dealing with models with mutliple saves. It says that a must must always use the best save available to them. E.g a termie squad (2+ sv) in cover (4+) gets shot by some lasguns. You would be require to take the 2+ armour save rather than the 4+ cover save (or 5++ inv).

Based on that the armour save isn't an option, its pretty hard to take off you chest armour whilst the bullet is hurtling towards you. Its not really something you have much control over, the shot either finds a weak spot or it doesn't.

If your shot in the chest, you can survive.

If your hit by a mac truck, you can die.

If you want breakfast you can have cereal or you can have porridge.

If your model is shot in the chest it can take a saving throw.

See? Its a possible interpretation, but not one that works with the rules. Just because you can do something doesnt mean you actually have control over wether or not it ends up happening. You can be struck by lightning... you can inherit a million pounds from an uncle you didnt know existed.... you can be kidnapped by ninjas.

See? Its a possible interpretation, but not one that works with the rules. Just because you can do something doesnt mean you actually have control over wether or not it ends up happening. You can be struck by lightning... you can inherit a million pounds from an uncle you didnt know existed.... you can be kidnapped by ninjas.

that last one happened to me... they are cruel masters but now i serve them well.

Can't quote an exact page (my book is hiding from me) but I know there is a part in there dealing with models with mutliple saves. It says that a must must always use the best save available to them. E.g a termie squad (2+ sv) in cover (4+) gets shot by some lasguns. You would be require to take the 2+ armour save rather than the 4+ cover save (or 5++ inv).

Based on that the armour save isn't an option, its pretty hard to take off you chest armour whilst the bullet is hurtling towards you. Its not really something you have much control over, the shot either finds a weak spot or it doesn't.

Although I'm sure that Stinkenheim is right that you can't choose not to take a save (It's kinda against the spirit of the game...) I can't find the place where I'm sure I've read it.

And I can't find it in the section Stinkenheim referred to (Page 24 of the BRB)...

Although I'm sure that Stinkenheim is right that you can't choose not to take a save (It's kinda against the spirit of the game...) I can't find the place where I'm sure I've read it.

And I can't find it in the section Stinkenheim referred to (Page 24 of the BRB)...

pg 24, last sentance of the first paragraph.

"In these cases the model only ever gets to use one saving throw, but it has the advantage of always using the best available save."

Archived