TychoThePsycho's Emperor's Warbringers

TychoThePsycho

Hi All,

I've recently returned to WH40K and have decided to model a Space Marine army. I've spent the last week or so trawling the Internet for inspiration and I've finally decided that I'm going to model the Emperor's Warbringers.

So far, I've decided on my paint scheme (heavily influenced by Stuart Spengler's "The Purge"). I'm trying to create the impression of an army that's grimy and weary after a long campaign but still steely-eyed and determined. Here's my design:

spacemarine.jpg

Model

1. Build and base the model

2. Undercoat with GW Chaos Black

Power Armor

1. Base coat the entire model with GW Catachan Green

2. Paint the soft armor with a 2:1 mix of GW Catachan Green and GW Scab Red

3. Wash the entire model with GW Flesh Wash

4. Apply first highlight using a 2:1 mix GW Catachan Green and GW Rotting Flesh

5. Apply second highlight using a 1:1 mix GW Catachan Green and GW Rotting Flesh

Eyes

1. Base coat with GW Red Gore

2. Apply first highlight with GW Blood Red

3. Apply second highlight with GW Blazing Orange

Metals (Aquila and parts of the Boltgun)

1. Base coat the metal parts with a 1:1 mix of GW Chaos Black and GW Boltgun Metal

2. Highlight with GW Chainmail

3. Wash with a 1:1 mix of GW Chaos Black and GW Snakebite Leather

Blacks (Boltgun)

1. Base coat the metal parts with GW Chaos Black

2. Apply first highlight with a 2:1 mix of GW Chaos Black and GW Rotting Flesh

3. Apply second highlight with a 1:1 mix of GW Chaos Black and GW Rotting Flesh

Base

1. Base coat with GW Scorched Earth

2. Apply first highlight with GW Bestial Brown

3. Apply second highlight with GW Snakebite Leather

4. Apply third highlight with GW Bleached Bone

5. Paint edge with GW Scorched Earth

If you're wondering why I've gone exclusively for GW paints, I already have an (old version) GW Mega Paint Set so the paints are not going to cost me anything. I'm pretty confident that this scheme will work. The areas I'm not so confident about are the paint mix for the soft armor and the colour scheme for the base. My intention for the soft armor is to achieve a shade of catachan green that's half as bright (twice as dark?) and I've been lead to believe that adding red to green is a better way to darken it than adding black. I'm not sure about my idea for the base but I've got loads of spare bases so I'll do a couple of trials before committing myself.

Thanks in advance for any comments. This is my first post at The Bolter and Chainsword so be gentle with me :)

I think it should look pretty good - by 'Soft Armour' I presume you mean the ribbed areas between joints and the like? These seem to traditionally be done in black, which I think would prove a nice contrast with the brown but still dark enough not to be too off and keep the uniform sense of the paintjob.

Look forward to seeing more of these....

Sounds like it could be fun. It's refreshing to see someone stray from the ostentatious-I-don't-care-if-you-can-see-me-I'm-just-that-cool color schemes. Though this scheme (the pic anyway) seems more brown than the olive-drab scheme on Lexicanum.

I agree with Paladin on the soft armor. Black will help break up the colors. Dull metallic shades work pretty well, too.

Archived