EMPEROR BATTLE TITAN

Lord of Death

Hey there,

First off, I'm not sure to what scale you're building this Emperor Titan, but I'm 99% sure the Imperial bastion set is too small for your purposes. An EBT can range up to 200 feet - this is the measurement I'm using for my own because 1) it's roughly in the middle of the numbers the fluff sources give, 2) 200 feet is about 60 meters, which means in WH40K scale it measures EXACTLY 1m tall.

What I suggest is take your time, look at some photos of the Epic-scale (~1:300) mini for inspiration, and then look at some project threads. DakkaDakka has a titan section in their gallery with a few photos of Warlord and Emperor titans. There's also a WIP thread on dakkadakka by a guy who built three simultaneously (very thorough with many pictures). Deviantart also has a few completed ones, but no WIPs as far as I know.

I also believe you should draw things out, make sure you have your dimensions right, and seriously consider the size of the project. This is a BIG undertaking. To make even a crappy looking titan takes a lot of time and effort - a GOOD looking one is impossible without even more time, material and skill with tools (and not to mention a bit of talent and luck). If this is your first big project, try and build something smaller to start off with.

I agree that it is a huge undertaking. Firstly, I would suggest that you plan it out. I am planning on having mine be ~39"/1m tall, because as MattCrawford mentioned that is about 60m tall in-scale. Get some graph paper and draw a few scale drawings of what you have in mind, as it is far easier to erase in a drawing than to revise the model halfway through construction. If you have access to a CAD program like AutoCAD or SolidWorks, all the better. Take your time and plan out most important details (how tall? how high to the knees/hips/castles on top? what weapons and where? etc.). I would also suggest that you plan the internal skeleton, and build the skeleton out of PVC pipe.

Look around in the Adeptus Mechanicus sub-forum, as they are the ones with the most experience with Titans.

I also believe you should draw things out, make sure you have your dimensions right, and seriously consider the size of the project. This is a BIG undertaking. To make even a crappy looking titan takes a lot of time and effort - a GOOD looking one is impossible without even more time, material and skill with tools (and not to mention a bit of talent and luck). If this is your first big project, try and build something smaller to start off with.
He is correct. Take the time to make it look good. Also, I wholeheartedly agree that you should start with something smaller first. I tried to build a Warlord Titan without any experience, and all it got me was the part-completed shell of a carapace sitting on my desk. I have converted a StormRaven from a Rhino and Plasticard since then, and I am working on a scratch-built Reaver now, and I am planning on building an Emperor.

Due to the size and effort that goes into an Emperor, there are very few that are done (and most that I have seen online are IMO grossly oversized). A quick Google Image search for '40k emperor titan' should give you some ideas for what they should look like, but feel free to use your creative input. Remember that they are each unique in the fluff, and just use what others have done as guidelines (mine will have a cathedral on top instead of the castle, when I get to it).

Bastions might work for the legs, but you might have to expand them with plasticard.

Again, I must stress that you plan it out. After all, you don't want it to end up looking like an Ork Mega Gargant. (a bit extreme of an example, but you get the idea)

I myself have done a lot of looking into titans as they are to be quite frank, bloody awesome. However, if you intend to build an Emperor titan the dedication required to get it finished to a decent standard would be monumental. The first thing to think about as KhorneHunter mentioned is scale, the data-sheet for the emperor titan shows a size of around 4 times higher than a Warhound titan which at 10.5 inches, would make the Emperor around 42 inches high which should be about a meter.

With a meter high model, the bastions would look a little scrawny for legs. I myself would recommend using a free 3D modeling program such as Gmax to create a basic model of the superstructure. You could then use the program Pepakura to create printable templates to construct the model.

If you are looking for a source of inspiration or ideas for titans in general, I would suggest BulldogUK's website Tanks and trolls as some of his titans are just breathtaking.

If you are confident that you have the motivation (and spare time) to complete a project like a Emperor titan, then go for it but remember that planning is essential. Making it up as you go along never ends well with scratch-builds.

If you are new to this kind of build I would recommend starting small with a Warhound or a Reaver and moving on to the Emperor when you have more experience. Mind you, if you are contemplating building an Emperor, you probably have some experience with this kind of thing already.

Good luck with the titan!

Mr.Millar

Thanks guys.

If i use 3 bastions just for the feet buy doubling the size at the feet then going to one wide for the legs.

it would make the feet 10" wide witch i thought was about right with legs of 18 " what do you think????

Thank for the feedback Guys / Girls.

Thanks guys.

If i use 3 bastions just for the feet buy doubling the size at the feet then going to one wide for the legs.

it would make the feet 10" wide witch i thought was about right with legs of 18 " what do you think????

Thank for the feedback Guys / Girls.

First things first, you need to communicate your plan more clearly. Do you mean just stacking three bastions one on top of another for each leg? Besides being ridiculously expensive (using US$ prices, roughly 90$ per leg), I'll guarantee you it will be far too skinny.

Draw this out on paper. Take your time, use some graph paper, and do a precise and to scale drawing of your Titan. Heck, do a few drawings from different angles. Look at some concept art and/or finished titans.

As for the legs, consider this: you'll want them to be fairly wide at the bottom to support the weight of the Titan, because this is one heavy motherlover of a model! Given that most depictions of EBTs have cylindrical "feet" (the whole lower portion of the leg), I would go with an appropriately sized set of buckets/wastebaskets, with the open end facing the floor. This will give you the right size, sturdy material, and right shape for an EBT's feet. If you want to go with a square bucket/wastebasket, that's fine. It can easily be adapted to make a convincing EBT leg.

You'll also want to consider the fact that you NEED a skeleton to hold this sucker together, and it is going to be going through the middle of your leg to ensure stability. You can't just glue any old pipe to the top of a mish-mash of bastions. My recommendation here is that you get yourself some good PVC piping (in scale, 1.5" is suitable, but it's your call).

In short: make a drawing. Take into account the scale and dimensions of an EBT. Look at other work. Think about the practical aspects like weight and support besides just the aesthetics. If you submit a sketch, I'd love to take a look at it. Good luck!

Lord, if you'd like I could upload some pictures of a 3dmodel of an emperor titan that I mocked up in 3ds a month or 2 back when i was thinking about building one, its pretty basic but it might help you out.

Thats a bit too big.

The standard Warhound is actually about knee-high to an Imeprator in Epic scale, and that seems to be much too big...The Games Day Imperator last year - I don't recall it being 7ft tall, I habven't been to the ARndale for a while

Archived