Deepstriking Monolith

DAG42

The rule for these thing says it follow's normal DS, except that when it comes WITHIN 1 inch it's not destroyed you move the models away.

My opponent was trying to DS on an objective held by a tact sqd. and use this rule to move them off. I said he couldn't because he didn't move WITHIN he was starting WITHIN the imaginary bubble.

My question is who's right in this case? I know GW doesn't always clarify things, but I believe this was stretching his rule.

sorry what i ment was that drop pods reduce the scatter the the minimum needed to not hit an enemy, that means if you choose to put them on a unit and roll a hit it turns into a DP mishap as there is no minimum to reduce.

Monoliths state that where ever they come down they move what is below them out of the way, they can even move immobile vehicles away, it doesnt matter where they were initially placed (unlike DP's) and they dont mishap landing on an enemy or friendly unit.

I understand that it will move a unit if it scatters into it. But he specifically targeted a unit in cover on an objective. I don't think the DS rules alow for that. Which he still would have had to take the test for terrain as a skimmer finishing a move on rough terrain.

With one exception- the mawloc- the rules say you have to be able to put the model on the table- you place it there as part of deep striking. Now, if your opponents monolith was modeled so he could actually do that... then yeah, hes ok.

Explain Mawloc. The model would have been able to stand there on it's bottom The walls and temple piece would have supported, a little teeter totter but. Now as with jump troops and skimmers the can fit in difficult terrain he would've still had to test then?

The mawloc explicitly says it can.... provides no actual physical way to accomplish this, so youll have to just figure out something agreeable to both parties.

Now, as for the monolith- your models would have to move out of the way, and then hed have to make a dangerous terrain test- ie he might become immobilized. Assuming it scattered into them.

That's just it he wasn't scattering into the unit or rough terrain, he was targeting those two at the same time.

Like I said- you cant drop a monolith on top of a unit, unless you actually can physically place the monolith in that location without destroying/squishing/moving anyones models until after it scatters.

So, if he places it and it scattered into that position its fine- you move your models.

He cannot however just hold it over them and say 'it goes here' because the brb specificly states that models cannot be left hovering over the table.

Basically no DS unit beside the Tyranid creature can be intentionally placed in a way where it touches another unit, during its initial deployment (before scatter is rolled).

If it touches units after its scatterroll is made then those models are moved.

Archived