Sons of Horus Terminator WIP

AnDyzZzoRe

Currently Im building up a heresy-era Sons of Horus force, starting with my favourite ever models, Terminators.

The squad of 5 is built and awaiting paint right now, but i have started on the Sergeant.

Please not, I'm not the greatest painter ever and this is the first time ive actually tried painting white. Also im fairly disapointed with his face

please though, C&C

EDIT -- PICS

Well, there are no pics... which could be the forum acting up again... So I can't comment on your paint job, but I can offer this about faces: They are tough. I still don't like doing them, which sucks for me since I play Space Wolves. I've found, though, that using thinned paints and MANY layers helped me with shading on faces. I don't have any pics uploaded (and finding them on my old, ancient laptop will require more time than it takes to wake up a dreadnaught), so I can't show you what I mean. Good luck, and I look forward to seeing your pics. As a side-note... Do you mean Luna Wolves? Just because the Sons of Horus colors are a sea green-ish color and the Luna Wolves are white-ish...

-J

Just remember the Terminator squad in the Luna Wolves was the Justaerin. They operated in all black armour, if memory serves.

I'm a fan of the Luna Wolves/Son of Horus, myself, so I'm looking forward to seeing how your project turns out.

Holy crap! :devil: That face is really good! What are you disappointed with? I don't think my faces come out that good! I think the white is on a little thick which can be remedied by thinning your paints with a little water and flow improver. I'm curious as to why you went with robed legs. I think they're well done, I just never thought of the Luna Wolves being a "robed" chapter. Anyway, keep the pics comin'! I look forward to the rest of the squad!

-J

Thanks Lord Noble, I just havent painted anything in a few months, and I thinkI'm a bit rusty right now. The white definetly needs some work and hopefully with the rest of the squad it'll be smoother.

The robed legs were chosen because they add hight to the models, and with the shoulder pads make them look more imposing. I play Deathwing so they were originally going to be painted as Dark Angels but I wanted to paint a legion that turned in the Heresy, and I love the Luna Wolves, so just a personal, if not exactly fluffy choice.

@Deorar - As far as I'm aware the Jusaerin was Abbadon's first company, which was black but the other companies had white armour. Please correct me if I'm incorrect though.

My internet's being temperamental as well, Andyzz, so I feel your pain.

Aye, the Justaerin were Abaddon's First Company of Terminators, though he basically never suited up in his Termie armour and led them himself until later on.

To be perfectly honest, I don't recall any mention of the other Terminators being mentioned in the books. I'm sure it's just fine to have'em as white. Not too sure about the robes, though :devil:

On a brighter note, nice model! For a guy who says he's rusty, you did a great job. Keep it up, and you'll definitely work off the rust as you go.

Thanks Deorai, I'm working on the squad heavy weapon termi now, and he is loaded to bear. I know the robes dont fit fluff that well, in fact at all really, but they make them look imposing and i think it makes them, along with the shoulder pads not look like current gen termies

Nice storm bolter! Is it just 2 standard bolters "duct-taped" together? It looks sharp.

Yeh it is... i ran out of the chaos twin linked bolters so i had to improvise.. the rest of the squad have de-chaosified twin linked bolters. The squad might not neccesarily fit game rules weapons-wise but I wanted squad of BA's who looked awesome

hey i had problems doing whites as well until a buddy of mine showed me a technique you could experiment with.

1)prime white- i used krylon ultra flat. some people may know better spray primers but ive been using krylon brands for minis and graffiti for 15+ yrs so i know the stuff pretty well and im used to it. so if theres one you trust more then use it. just make sure its flat. apply a very even and light coat. if you have areas that are hard to get with a spray can use some skull white with your brush to fill it in. these areas are most likely in shaded areas so its ok

2)paint your silver type areas with bolt gun metal

3)make a super thin fortress grey wash. to understand what im saying try getting a smooth white plastic or ceramic plate and wash it down until its almost clear. i also get an 8 oz glass of warm water with a drop or two of dish soap to use for watering down my wash. it breaks the surface tension and gets in the cracks and crevaces better.

4) apply the grey wash to the model a couple times until you get a few shades darker than white.

5)once the grey scale has started and your previous washes are dry make a thinned out black wash the same way

6)apply this wash to model but focus on the deep recessed areas, the rubber inbetween joints, around the guilding and emblems and also between the armor plates. if you get a lil bit outside where you want its not that big of deal. just get a dry brush and use it to remove the stuff thats out of place

7)this step is somewhat optional. if you want a somewhat weathered look make a thinned out wash from some white and a tiny dab of snakebite leather and apply once. i like this because i dont like things to look too clean.

8)make a dry brushing mix of light grey and white thats half way between white and your lightest greyed areas and then dry brush the mini

9)dry brush white very lightly on the larger areas of white

10) fine hightlight with white on the smaller edges of things like the helmets and fingers

*note*- the areas like the elbow, hip and knee creases that have the rubber parts can use either a few extra washes of black or one slightly less thinned down wash to make it dark as you want.

this has worked for me and is great in my mind when you are building and painting an army in stages because you can whip out a wash layer on a whole squad in a couple of minutes and while its drying under a lamp or fan for the next 20 or so you can put together a couple models for the next squad.

The face is actually greta - the one major critique is teh smoothness of teh white - I have painted some white armour for my Bhramastra marines, and will post in due course (only part finished) but I know how difficult it is - all I can say is use Dheneb stone as your base as it covers really well, and then beld up from there using Space Wolves Grey or Bleached bone depending on which colour you are going for (Luna Wolves would be Space Wolves Grey blended to white, and the Sons could be Hawk + SW grey)

Nice Mini :devil:

For the face thinning the paint as others have already suggested. Other than that a Ogryn Flesh wash around the eyes, mouth and nose would go really well.

I was a bit sceptical about washing faces but after working on the new Island of Blood HE for my local GW i have come to love them. Just make sure you take it easy with washes. You can always add more afterwards if you want and its very easy.

Nice Work.

Nice job brother. It is indeed mentioned in Horus Rising that when Lokens 10th company go to take out the rebels on 6319, that Loken has (at least) a squad of terminators in his company. The explanation for this is that Horus and his Luna Wolfs were the most revered of the Legions and therefore recieved the most amount of the new tactical dreadnought armour ( termie bitz).

Keep up the good work and please post some more pictures in the future, I would love to see a Luna Wolfs army, It is not often you come across that.

Archived