Running a campaign...

Green Devils

So, Me and my friends want to run a multi-player campaign. I figured this is the best place to ask this:

Anyone got any reading suggestions for rules or instructions on how to do one?

we've got some ideas, but instead of making ours up on our own, I'd like to have something i can read.

So, Me and my friends want to run a multi-player campaign. I figured this is the best place to ask this:

Anyone got any reading suggestions for rules or instructions on how to do one?

we've got some ideas, but instead of making ours up on our own, I'd like to have something i can read.

I can't send you anywhere except that the 4th ed BBB had stuff on it so the 5th might if you have the big version... However I've been in many campaigns and even helped run a few :) Oh I lie BoLS (Belloflostsouls.net)has some campaign PDFs for the Macharian crusade and Badab war... they might give you some ideas.

First you need to decide if it is competative (You can have some narrative but if you haven't much experiance I would try keeping whatever campaign you decide to do simple to start with) or narrative campaign. One is basically about doing whatever you can within the rules to win the other one gives you less freedom and is more about having fun and telling a story (See IAIII and onwards to see the narrative campaigns they have, you can make your own..) On the narrative side you basically make a Tree where you play a game and then depending on the result of that game the next game will vary.

Now then you need to decide if it will be a solo campaign, have teams or allow diplomacy. In a narrative campaign you will have teams I guess... Goodies V Baddies (This will depend on what armies are playing, if you have every race involved don't worry if some races are tag alongs... trying to make a story that includes everyone just waters it down in most cases). If it is a free for all I suggest uses some kind of grid to show territory (such as planetary empires or something... you could make one on a computer easy :D) and also work out if you will allow people to work together and what limitations there will be on that if at all (I once allied with a DE player and we back stabbed each other :D).

I would be happy to give you more detailed advice or help if you want. If you send me a PM with how many players (what they will be playing and how many points and so on) and what kind of campaign you want I would be happy to send you some thoughts... I've done this a few times now... Maybe I should write an article...

Mighty Empires and Galactic Empires are nothing but large compendiums of 'suggestions' on how to run a campaign.

Id also reccommend the old 5th edition fantasy system, where you rolled a d6/6 to determine the territories you would go on to capture, or you could seize one of these from a particular enemy.

Archived