Poisoned Weapons on High S models

pwrserge

Ok, funny story. My tyranid oponent claimed that his Tyrant with toxin sacs got to reroll his 2+ to wound roll against my tac squad.

To sumarize his argument

S 6 vs T 4 = Wound on 2+

Poisoned Attacks = Wound on 4+ if T>S or reroll Wounds if S >=T

It made a sick sort of sense as otherwise toxin sacks wound make most Tyranid CC monsters S >= 6 less effective against 90% of the models in the game T<5.

Was he right? My reading of the book would allow both the 4+ with a reroll and the 2+ with a reroll versions.

Ok, funny story. My tyranid oponent claimed that his Tyrant with toxin sacs got to reroll his 2+ to wound roll against my tac squad.

To sumarize his argument

S 6 vs T 4 = Wound on 2+

Poisoned Attacks = Wound on 4+ if T>S or reroll Wounds if S >=T

It made a sick sort of sense as otherwise toxin sacks wound make most Tyranid CC monsters S >= 6 less effective against 90% of the models in the game T<5.

Was he right? My reading of the book would allow both the 4+ with a reroll and the 2+ with a reroll versions.

Toxin sacs grant Poisoned [4+] and says see BBB.

BBB pg 42 says:

"They do not rely on S v T to wound. they always wound on a fixed number, generally shown in brackets. In most cases, this is 4+.... In addition, if the S ≥ T, re-roll failed to wound rolls"

It says "all of its cc attacks become poisoned" ~ C:T pg 84

It says they always wound on a fixed number. So you never get to use S v T. ~ BBB pg 42

Instead of wounding on a 2+ [83%] the mighty Hive Tyrant is stuck using 4+ [50%] but with S ≥ T he gets to re-roll [75%].

Your friend misses out with RAW. Looks like Toxin Sacs are a bad choice for things with high S....

A hive tyrant with toxin sacs will never wound on a 2+, only a 4+ (almost always with rerolls though). It may still provide instant death to T3 models though, thats a little less clear, but the answer is probly a no. In general toxin sacs are not a good biomorph for monsterous creatures, the one obvious exceptoin being tervigons.

Archived