Gunline?

Ravenfeld

~125 pts HQ - Master (Gets you an orbital bombardment). Other weapons as you see fit.

~ 450 pts Elite - 3x 5 man Sternguard with 2x Heavy Weapons (plasma cannon or lascannons are dirt cheap here)

~ 550 pts Heavy - 3x 5 man Devastators with 4x Missile Launchers

~ 540 pts Fast - 3x 2 Typhoon Land Speeders

~ 650 pts Troop - 5x 5 man Tacticals with HB Razorback

This leaves you with 100 or so points to play around with. You've got mobility and heavy weapons without going vehicle heavy. You've got no defense against hand to hand, but you should be able to shoot things to death.

This provides you with:

15 twin linked heavy bolters

9 heavy bolter shots

6 las cannon/plasma cannon shots

26 missile launcher shots

9 sternguard bolter shots

25 regular bolter shots

I really don't like that list, because I've read the "unit size and risk" link in your sig :jaw:

5 man Devastator Squads with 4 Heavy Weapons are just too fragile.

If I were doing this, I'd use the BA codex and do something like; Librarian, 2 Devastator Squads, 2 Assault Squads, 2 Apothecaries, 3 Dakka Baals, 2 Techmarines with 3 Servitors and a Rifleman Dreadnaught.

If you can squeeze a Command Squad with Jump Packs and Meltaguns in there (replace one of the Apothecaries) then you're really rockin'

I don't like the list either, but i was asked for my take on what made a gunline list. The density of firepower is hard to beat, but fragile and completely without any real mobility.

If you wanted pure gunline Troops, wouldn't Sniper Scouts with Missile Launchers be a better choice because they are both cheaper and have a longer max range.

As for claiming objectives, what about Drop Podding Tac Squads down on them? You keep your squads moderately safe through reserve and then give yourself some added cover with the pod.

If you wanted pure gunline Troops, wouldn't Sniper Scouts with Missile Launchers be a better choice because they are both cheaper and have a longer max range.

As for claiming objectives, what about Drop Podding Tac Squads down on them? You keep your squads moderately safe through reserve and then give yourself some added cover with the pod.

BS 3 instead of 4 means that you need more weapons to get the same number of hits with the missile launchers and unless you rend, your sniper weapons provide every enemy with an armor save and sniper weapons against MEQ aren't anywhere near as good as a bolter at bolter engagement ranges.

BS 3 instead of 4 means that you need more weapons to get the same number of hits with the missile launchers and unless you rend, your sniper weapons provide every enemy with an armor save and sniper weapons against MEQ aren't anywhere near as good as a bolter at bolter engagement ranges.

All very true, but I think that might equal out when you factor in the cheaper price, long range and ability to rend vehicles. Sure rending can't be relied upon, but I'd rather fire my Sniper Rifles at a Rhino with some chance to damage it instead of zero chance to with Bolters.

Alot of this is based on the assumption that anti-tank/anti-transport duty is more important then anti-infantry firepower.

Archived