Thunderfire Cannon Killpoints

traxter

So if this dies it it worth 2 kp or 1 as the gun is not a kill pt in its own right but just the crew. People argue because of the fact that the techmarine becomes an IC if the cannon dies alotting its own KP at that point and netting 2 kill points? I think it is 1 as the Cannon is the techmarines weapon and nothing more. which is correct? thanks

At the end of the game, each player receives 1 'kill point' for each enemy unit that has been completely destroyed.

Unit composition:

1 Techmarine Gunner

1 Thunderfire cannon

When the unit is completely detroyed (cannon destroyed AND techmarine killed) the enemy scores 1 Victory Point.

Now the other argument to this is if this is a retinue or not? I say this because take an IG junior office and his squad per the feb 25th faq that squad is worth 2 kp even though the junior officer is not an IC? So if the cannon and marine die in one turn its 1 kp but if cannon dies and marine becomes ic then dies isn't this 2 kp because ic rules says they count as there own unit?

Its not a Retinue in any way. It is an Artillery unit.

That the gunner gains the IC rule when the artillery unit dies is of no consequence as far as I can say.

As for the IG FAQ theres nothing in it that says anything about a junior officer at all.... anywhere. In fact, I cannot even find reference to that position in the IG codex.

In fact, heres a link.

He is probably refering to the Rulebook FaQ. That one still has a few "army specific questions" about the 4th Edition Codex Imperial Guard, which have not been removed or corrected since the new Codex has been released.

From the Rulebook FaQ:

Q. How many kill points is an Imperial Guard Command Squad worth? Is a Junior Officier and his four Guardsmen worth 1 point or 2?

A. A Command Squad is an independent Character and his retinue (...) There for the enemy gains 1 kill point for killing the Junior Officier, and 1 kill point for killing the accompanying Guardsmen.

You can see that this is refering to the 4th Edition Codex, because back then there was only the 'Command Squad' as a HQ choice, which was led either by a 'Heroic Senior Officier', a 'Senior Officier' or a 'Junior Officier'. The Officiers were also all Independent Characters back then.

However, in the 5th Edition Codex that unit was split into the 'Company Command Squad' which is led by a 'Company Commander' for HQ and the 'Platoon Command Squad' led by a 'Platoon Commander' as a Troops Choice. There are no 'Command Squads' led by a 'Junior Officier' anymore. And the leaders are no independent Characters anymore either.

The next question is another clue:

Q. My Imperial Guard or Black Templar Codex says that dedicated transports can only be used by the unit they've been bought for. (...)

The 4th Edition Codex Imperial Guard did indeed say that. The 5th Edition Codex, however, does not.

Archived